Yall ever heard of the OmniChord?

Honestly, I know we had the conversation about how you have trouble sitting down in front of something and learning it, but if you have time to buy a real paper book about basic chords and scales it’s a lot easier to learn from a book (in my experience) than from a phone screen. But I’m old, so maybe that’s just me.

The basics of theory like learning the circle of fifths and perfect fourths will make it a lot easier to work going forwards in your learning.

4 Likes

About to go thru that post too. Looks pretty neat

Any book in particular?

this guy is working on a omnichord inspired controller that looks pretty cool.

there is also this project

2 Likes

basic shit. hal leonard. go to the store and look at what you can actually get into, having someone recommend a $40 paperback that ends up on your shelf won’t do any good, you have to find what will work for you or you could even take a couple lessons. Some people learn better that way, I’m a self learner. Autodidactic. It’s easier for me to teach myself, but the way I do it isn’t really suitable for everyone, so I don’t assume what works for me is right for everyone.

3 Likes

Check out the Nopia thread. It doesn’t exist yet, and may never, but is pretty cool and useful design, that is quite musical too.

1 Like

ya didn’t ask me, but the most useful tool I’ve found is an app called Complete Ear Trainer. It trains your ear on intervals of increasing difficulty. And once you understand intervals, you understand chords.

2 Likes

I’m definitely grabbing an Omni when the new ones drop. The Qchord can be found for much less. There are 3 listed in my area for $125-200 right now. Tbh I don’t really like the sound of it but you can just run it through some pedals to improve that.

2 Likes

Ahh yea. I like that too. For sure will look at this too

Or* midi

2 Likes

Ite. I’ll try to find a good chord book too

1 Like

It doesn’t have to be Hal Leonard but a lot of people find the notation and content easy to process when it’s in picture form, so look at chord encyclopedia type books, it doesn’t have to be this one, just an example.

1 Like

My favorite MT learning app is Tonality and Complete Ear Training that someone else mentioned. Super simple.

Scaler 2 is a flat out cheat code whether you know MT or not. One of my favorite apps period.

However, learning to play woodwinds (sax, Native American flute) was the most impactful way i learned to read music because it was fun and simple. Woods don’t play chords but you learn very quickly the foundation of perfecting chords which are scales, semitones, etc. Trains your ear to know which keys go together while also teaching you rhythm and melody at the same time.

Flutes, recorders, and midi digital woodwinds are super cheap these days and very very simple to learn.

3 Likes

I say it everywhere I go… Music theory is NOT abstract algebra.

Seriously, that’s not a boast, it’s the truth.

There are only 12 notes in the Western Chromatic Scale. Each note represents an interval, which has a name (or number, if that’s how you’d prefer to work) that describes its relationship to the root note. These intervals are always the same, and ALL scales and chords are built (and named) simply by stacking them.

Therefore, if you know the terminology, and understand some basic rules, you’re well on your way. It’s all about knowing what each interval brings to the harmonic landscape, in terms of “quality”.

To that end, there is no such thing as an “advanced chord”; there are only chords. Don’t let the names alienate you. Too many people resist learning the basics of music theory, because of the seemingly esoteric vocabulary involved; never mind the hyper-intellectual, philosophical debates over systems: Classical Theory vs. Jazz vs. Number Systems, etc.

So, let me say it again…

There are only 12 notes in the Western Chromatic Scale, and we typically only use 7 of them at a time. You just need some good source material, and the will to do a little homework. Real-world application is the key. Don’t just read… Play and listen.

And don’t get ahead of yourself.

The bottom line is, a push-button chord machine will only hold you back.

This marks the end of today’s public service announcement.

As you were…

Cheers!

5 Likes

We will disagree on this.

The chord devices, whatever you collectively name them, aren’t a short cut per se, but musical instruments in themselves.

Look at the folk ( and pop ) tradition of the autoharp ( from 1882 ).

2 Likes

I also don’t believe that chorders hold anyone back but I do believe many people make MT out to be more complicated than it is in practice.

Key word being practice.

5 Likes

And so, indeed we shall, forever, disagree.

There is absolutely nothing a “Chord Bot” can bring to the table, that cannot otherwise be accomplished, more efficiently, on a chromatic instrument, in the hands of a proficient player.

Cheers!

P.S. The OP did express an interest in learning music theory. Hence, I’m here to encourage them to do exactly that.

1 Like

The first time I read Hal Lenord, I didn’t get what you were referring to, but I got you now. That looks pretty solid to me.

1 Like

Lol. Word. I get where you’re coming from and I can see how it could turn into a negative.

1 Like

Interesting