XY effects

Was thinking about XY based fx so I thought I’d start a thread cause I didn’t know where to post. I like the idea of the korg kp3 but I don’t really want to bite the bullet for it based on what I’ve read (midi problems, sub par quality effects, fiddly sampler). Do we think there will ever be another kaoss pad? Only things similar I’ve seen are the XY page on the MPC live/X or lemur. And why don’t I ever see the kp4? It’s like it doesn’t exist

Trying to think of a way I could make an effect chain in logic and make a lemur template with an XY where I can select which effect is on which axis. It’s a shame I’d have to rely on the computer but the sounds would be of significantly superior quality. also thinking about playing with turnado+lemur, might even be able to keep it in the iPad that way, I’d have to look and see about routing midi between the apps and audio into the iPad for live processing… Anyway, general thread for XY effects, experiences, thoughts, discuss

2 Likes

I’ve been experimenting with OT + Turnado App (audio/ midi in / out via interface) and it’s a blast. It essentially increases the OT FX exponentially.

2 Likes

I’ve had the physics balls in lemur control the 4 XY pads in turnado, so they all are just slowly moving around and bouncing off the borders… :smiley:

@xidnpnlss, have you assigned OT crossfader cc to the dictator? Double extreme mega modulation! :rofl:

3 Likes

I’m sorry: WHAT. I didnt think the crossfader was allowed to send MIDI? Or did I interpret “no midi scenes” incorrectly?

1 Like

Cross fader always sends CC48.
[edit: except when CC ext is set to off :smirk:]
Confirmed crazy when assigned to the dictator. Do you know if I’d be able to route midi into the turnado app from lemur? I need some sort of interface to get audio into the ipad. It’s frustrating that you can only stream audio one way over standard lightning cable to the mac. But anyway using the crossfader to control turnado is about as crazy as you can get with just one CC.

@Open_Mike didn’t realise the turnaround app had XY pads, I’ve only used desktop. Nice one :thup:

3 Likes

Even when CC ext is turned off???

2 Likes

You got me

1 Like

Wait so Im still sort of confused.

If you all are leaving Audio CC on INT + EXT how is it youre not disturbing another MIDI device?

I am constantly selecting INT only as whatever I do on the audio end changes something on my MIDI chain…

Sorry to go off topic; just checking if I’m missing something…

I’m pretty sure crossfader skips to a free midi channel(?) I’ll have to check that. I’m pretty sure I remember it having some funky behaviour. Not funky as in unreliable, just the midi channel changing

1 Like

I wondered about this exact thing. I remember setting up my hardware rig based off of suggestions I read in this forum, intentionally leaving 1 MIDI channel free as a an “overflow” suggestion between 1-8, 1 for autochannel; so my rig allocates 10 channels for the OT alone.
This may explain why I’ve never had the OT Crossfader doing crazy stuff to my rig.

@jb , kaoss pads are not the “best” effects out there; that being said, you can have the KP3 send its X/Y coordinates out via MIDI to control other things.
Probably an expensive solution for that alone though.
I have fun with it.

I’m covered for a midi touchpad using lemur, it gives way way more possibilities. I really like the idea of having everything in one dedicated unit though. I see a ton of people saying they have a lot of fun with kaoss pads. I just wish Korg would release a more solid version of the kp3. Would you say the effects are useable or is it just a fun unit to jam with?

Yeah, it has 4 xy pads for that control the 8 fx knobs, so using Iconnect for connection I have each slowly moving and bouncing off the borders from the lemur physics simulation of bouncing balls… It’s been a bit since I’ve done it, I’d have to look back at my lemur template to figure it out, and I can’t for a bit…

Also with a wifi router attached to iconnect I use the iPad turnado as a wireless controller for the computer turnado and use the x/y’s, and the computer has a lot more horsepower so it’s nice that way…

I filter stuff out with Iconnect or disable things on other devices or a combo… It’s been a bit, but I think I had all but one of the OT channels disabled so it was only one channel to deal with…

1 Like

Completely usable. Since I wrote the last post, I had some friends call me up for a quick show. They have a reggae band and their drummer left them in a lurch., so I filled in.
I took the KP3, a mic, and a DI box, and had a dub delay and big verb on my snare available at the touch of a finger. Super fun.
The synthy things on it are mostly noise washes for riders and what not; looping midi thru the OT means you can record and play back your finger movements, which is cool.
I consider the lfo, and glitchy things like a poor mans Virus TI. I’m not aware of another hardware device that can do what they do at the same price.
Useable for mangling stuff, and exploiting the fact that it doesn’t time stretch what it samples can get things “out there” pretty quick.
It doesn’t have a ton of headroom, but I’ve managed to find a lot of uses for it.
The comp can get into the SP303 dirty vinyl sim range… different sounding, but it has a “thing”.
I’m biased, as I have two sitting at different points in the signal chain, and I’m happy with what they do.
For the money, you could get other rack units that are cleaner and have “better, cleaner” verbs and what not, but it’s a cool box.

2 Likes

I don’t mind some dirty FX so that doesn’t sound bad. I was just hoping it doesn’t sound like, completely crappy. I actually have a kp3 that I bought for £20 at a car boot, it doesn’t work so I never got to use it unfortunately. I opened it up and it looks like someone plugged in the wrong power supply and burnt it out. Shame. Before shelling out I think I’m gonna experiment with lemur more.

@natrixgli I noticed you just sold a kp quad. Was it any good?

+1 in KP3 FX beeing sub par
+1 to Turnado on iPad
now there’s also ElasticFX wich is universal (iPad and iPhone) - just yesterday I was doing a test with my set (A4 into OT’s AB input) sending the OT’s output to Turnado… lot’s of fun, although I need a lot of practice so it doesn’t get out of hands.

controlling the Dictator with the crossfader seems like a fun idea! although I’m not sure if it would work for me - since I also use it for the crossfader trick (I don’t want that transition to be always effected)

I’m considering a few options:
A- using Turnado before the output:
pros: great FX (way better/more flexible than KP or OT’s); maybe I can even save up that 8th master track and do both compression and LP/HP filtering directly on iPad/iPhone
cons: upon a few short tests, I haven’t been able to get FX tails on delays and reverbs when I turn them off, also I couldn’t figure out the settings to create a nice-sounding analog delay sound (typical dj-mixer swirls with nice filter resonance)

B-using ElasticFX before the output:
pros: fx sound super really nice too, better delay for my needs, runs on iPhone
cons: no SEND mode (like on KP, in case I want to use it as a send instead of going into it straight from the OT’s output - Turnado has this, although a bit hidden…); no HPF afaik, less parameters/flexibility although pretty great too.

I’m a bit small-set obsessive, so I wanted to avoid adding anything else to my A4+OT set. I like that it is quite simple/focused (I wish I could do OT only, but I’m not there yet :stuck_out_tongue: ) but then again… the effects added a lot of movement and dynamics to it, and it’s a lot of fun.

then again, if I do this… I was considering bringing back my NanoKontrol + usb-midi Host, so I can control track volumes (faders) and FX (knobs) a bit easier… I could as well just control them with one of OT’s MIDI tracks, but sometimes when performing live it’s not easy to go back in between tracks, specially when trying to control many things in a short time (think breaks)

1 Like

Animoog works awesome as a midi controller with a nice x/y… Fully mapable with midi learn…
Has keyboard scales to so you can play other synths locked to key and scale…
I think it’s an in app purchase for midi, was a long time ago I got it…

Another general do yourself a favor and get an ICM4+ statement… :smiley:

You can control any din, usb, computer, or iOS stuff all from all the other stuff…
All my midi gear can control any other of the midi gear, and computer/iOS stuff…
With wifi router you can do things like play a real synth wirelessly with animoog, assign the delay controls to a real external delay, and have other pages of animoog controlling stuff on a computer, and OT, and just whatever you want to do… Of course doesn’t need the wifi router to do this but it’s more fun and you can put the Pad wherever you want, for me clipped to a microphone stand so I can play guitar and sing and just reach down and control any of the gear that’s behind me…
Once you get to grips with the software…
You never have to rewire…

You can do OT loopback while also having access to everything and not blocking the in port so you can still control the OT with any of your gear…

With the audio pass through you can send stuff through the IPad from your computer DAW and use like a vst, throw that in the background and use audiobuss or something and control all of your gear from a custom lemur setup… The in/out of the IPad show up as available channels in the DAW to freely route, and a few channels show up on the IPad from the computer…

Plus loads of cc filter/remap channel remap type stuff…

It’s a flexible midi/audio routing dream box…

1 Like

MIDI chains, thru ports, mergers, thru boxes, physical iPad audio out are like prehistoric artifacts compared to ICM4+… It basically makes your computer/interface, IPad, and all din and usb midi gear feel like it’s one unit. Your IPad cpu and programs are now an extension of your daw, everything communicates midi with everything else, just the way you want, and then you can get crazy with midi remapping to stuff that’s just insane and would never be able to be done in a daisy chain…

OK, ICM4+ rant over, back to X/Y, but I feel like it’s on topic for any iOS midi type topic…
I seriously don’t think folks know what they’re missing, and I never say that about gear, it really is the midi Swiss Army knife…

X/Y… :smile:

I did actually purchase that midi out iap and barely used it but I agree it’s a cool keyboard. Those “blade” style keys are pretty cool. Need to put some time aside to play with it properly. I think I’d definitely benefit from an ICM4. I’ve been using iPad with a CCK2 and a USB to 5 pin wire so I’ve been alright without it, plus a Scarlett 18i8 interface and maschine has a built in midi/audio interface too. ICM would be a bit of an unnecessary luxury right now but cheers for the info, I love Swiss Army knife gear, it’s big part of why I like OT so much

1 Like