XY effects

I think I was spoiled by Turnado because it was the first multi-effect/mangling/DJ effects thing I bought. I’m using it on the PC, though I do have it on the iPad too but I just don’t really use the iPad anymore (so glad I spent hundreds of dollars on iOS apps that I now can’t sell).

I bought a used KP3 and a used mini KP2s last month and didn’t like them. The KP3 seemed promising but only being able to use one of its effects at a time feels so limiting after using Turnado’s dictator mode and the OT’s scenes. Also I don’t like the sounds of the effects at all. Surprisingly I liked the mini KP2s more (sounds less harsh to my ears) but it clips so easily and once again I feel it too limiting with being able to use just one effect at a time.

I also downloaded the demo of Glitch 2, Looperator, and Effectrix (okay, they’re effect sequencers, so not XY stuff). I really like the first two. Glitch 2 has the best sound quality imo of the three. Looperator is very customizable and sounds good too. Effectrix didn’t do anything for me soundwise. I like that all of them have scenes useing MIDI notes, so that you can switch into a sequence of effects with a push of a button and then go to another sequence. I highly recommend downloading the demos for all three if you haven’t. Glitch seems like the best deal at $39, though all of them can be found from time to time on KVR’s marketplace for a lot less. I just missed Glitch 2 on there for $15.

Personally, I think Turnado is underrated. I can spend so much time tweaking things on each effect (LFOs, speed, etc) and setting up dictator scenes. It’s spoiled me a good bit that I knew almost instantly that the Korg Kaoss pads were not for me. It also is spoiling me a bit with the OT because I don’t find the OT scenes sound as good now, but I am far, far, far (far) from a Jedi on the OT, so who knows.

One thing I really like about Looperator is the slicing option. I can instantly mangle a sample by putting the slicing on random. Or I can set up the slices however I want. It’s a lot quicker - and less buttons to push - than the OT.

1 Like

After some time using Turnado between the OT audio out and in, I have to completely agree. It’s been a joy.

I think it’s due to it being primarily marketed as a brostep / EDM tool. All the demo sample loops are this. All the presets seem to presume a swell or drop. After one gets into the weeds of the editing screen (coupled with easy MIDI learn from the OT), it really begins to open up vast potential (but it’s super glitchy in there…and not the good kind).

@depuratumba I asked over in the iPad Music App thread but no one responded: how do you find ELASTIC FX compares with Turnado? I’m having so much fun, thinking of doubling it.

I bought ElasticFX because there was a promo for ElasticDrums owners where it would cost you only 1 dollar… had to get it.
has some really nice effects, plus it doesn’t cut tails like Turnado - although it isn’t as deep (no LFO’s, envelopes)
but then again, more straight forward… 4 effects at once, on a single KP-style pad with 4 coloured dots (one for each fx)

I played around a bit more with Turnado today, it was fun.
I’m still working on my OT + A4 skills, so I don’t want to add it right away (I have a gig in a few days) but I’ll definately consider it for the future

1 Like

It was worth the money, I’d say. None of the effects were stellar quality, but out of all the Kaoss pads it’s my favorite. Between the immediacy of having dedicated select buttons for each effect and the ability to run multiple effects at once, it’s certainly worth looking at.

However like all Kaoss Pads it uses shitty RCA connectors, and is made entirely of plastic. This one doesn’t even have a hook for holding the power supply cord in place. So I don’t know how much I’d trust this one for live use.

1 Like

Nice one, it might be nice to have a play with but I think I’m gonna put it on the back burner and experiment more with iPad stuff. It doesn’t add too much compared to what I’ve got. Have one day if one pops up at the right price.