Xone DB4

I’ve said it a few times already, but some should really take this concept and turn it into an iOS app - now that we have class-compliant audio for the Digi machines, a dj mixer/looper/fx processor doesn’t currently exist… yes, you can design your own enviroment using AUM and several different apps, but some aspects (like a simple crossfader) are quite complicated to achieve and involve different apps + MIDI remapping = more chances of crashes, etc.

1 Like

Interesting idea! :thinking:

Just out of interest (I’m an app developer, but just for clients, nothing of my own yet), how much would you feel happy paying for an app that did this?

1 Like

Yup

Money. A class-compliant DJ mixer/looper/recorder with FX (plus clock sync solution), could be worth up to IDK, $100. Probably take a lot of influence from the DB 4; e.g., 4 stereo channels in (maybe 2 stereo out)- with lots of thought into the control surface.

I would easily pay 15-20 dollars (I live in Argentina, where that’s quite a bit of money) if it did what I expect from it and it’s properly supported - maybe a bit more. (I’m trying to be within reason of what iOS app cost - that I know it’s sometimes too little, making it hard for developers)

I’ve done some beta-testing (Shoom and a few others) and I’ve been craving for something like this (either hardware or software) for a long time, and I’ve posted here and other places many, many times, at the point of sounding like a crazy person.
So if you ever decide to give it a shot… let me know :nerd_face:

I’ve harvested ideas for this for a long time (probably not alone here) and I like to think of myself as a somewhat-reasonable person (meaning I’m not going to ask for the app to make pancakes as well)… also a graphic designer and a nerd - what I mean to say is: my heart is in the right place hehe

Hi Dave. Thanks for your inspiring videos. I’ve just clicked the buy button for a DB4. I will be using it on my OT’s 4 outs plus my virus and use it as a jamming box to build loops etc with the FX and filters. Can you bounce one loop to another while playing the FX etc ?
Thanks
Tone

Hi Dave/All, an additional trick that was not covered yet (I believe) I recently realized that the DB4 can be synced via the K2. Not sure if that was mentioned anywhere already?! But this is solving the clock sync issue the DB4 has, not being class compliant. The K2 is and sends the clock signal to the DB4 via X-Link.

My current setup:
Midi clock master (e.g. AR) -> midi in iConnectMIDI4+ -> USB host iConnectMIDI4+ -> K2 -> DB4 via X-Link

That gives 4 loopers perfectly synced without use of a laptop :slight_smile:

6 Likes

that is very interesting to know, ty

That’s a very good find indeed! Thanks for sharing that. I didn’t know that either :slight_smile:till a laptop needed but it does give you the class compliant midi sync which is very nice

I have to try))

Anybody else thinking these two are a great compact alternative for the DB4? A midi controller like the midi twister or novation launch control can be added for some more knobs.

The bluebox has 6 stereo channels compared to 5 on the db4. So giving some room for external effects

1 Like

^Nice idea - would love to see that.

Good point but just too small and touch screent for me . A DB 4 mk2 would be timely though?

1 Like

I´m considering to get the DB4 as a mixer for live sets. Seeing @DaveMech use it on youtube really sold me to the idea.

I´ve also been considering the Xone:96, which will give me access to outboard gear.

I´ve also been considering to get both… and just try them out and keep the one that I like the best! :smiley:

I´m also into DJ-ing so both these mixers should be an awesome additon to my DJ setup.

I have two questions regarding this:

1. Are the onboard effects on the DB4 totally comparable to good outboard gear? The biggest plus I can see is the automatic BPM detection!

2. Would you guys consider the number of channels on these mixers to be a limiting factor? Sometimes, limitations are good, and it´s maybe way more managable to work with fewer channels than being engulfed int he complexity of controlling multiple channels.

The Pioneer V10 is also a bit promising, the addition of the compressor per channel could be really valuable when doing live shows.

But appart from that, I´m not really seeing what it has to offer over the Xone:96, and it´s almost 2x more expensive… and from what I´ve heard, the sound quality of the 96 is better.

Anyone care to comment on the V10? Anyone using it for live shows?

And I´m totally open for suggestions on other mixers as well!!!

1 Like

Aaaaaand I´m thinking. Would I just be better set with a “standard” studio mixer with plenty of channels and some send/returns for my outboard gear?

Or is the playability of the Xone:96 or the DB4 a really nice addition to a live set? I´m mostly doing techno sets so I guess that the answer to that question is a “YES” :slight_smile: But would be great to get your opinion on this since these are pretty expensive mixers.

My main aim is to use this mixer for live sets… the DJ functionality comes second.

1 Like

I enjoy my Xone96 for live use with a Rytm, DN, and DT. Also with an Eventide Space Reverb pedal and Zen Delay on the two effect sends.

I also use this for my soundcard with Ableton.

2 Likes

Any word yet on whether the 96 (and DB4) will eventually have driver support for Big Sur?

DB4 drivers were very badly written: hex code to be re-written was never updated.
Issues with driver leading to digital clipping. Unstable driver loading off for no reason.
Apart from that, brilliant mixer if you are not going to use it as a soundcard.
Effects out of this world (coming from the iLive mixers’ series and “adapted” for DJing).
Routing matrix a bonus.
Looper actually pretty cool.
EQ system also interesting.
All in all a very hybrid/versatile mixer but a shame about drivers. A&H actually confirmed it to me when I had issues with it. And changed it for a MODEL1. Which I had awful issues with as well.
So for me (personal point of view = disclaimer) A&H is out of question.
Was eyeing a digital mixer from them (Q series) just to find out these are also problematic with drivers…

1 Like