Xone 96 Mixer

hey there - first post. respect to this forum.

been wanting to integrate a xone 96 in my studio, and this thread has been a great resource.

i have a simple question that i can’t seem to figure out -

if i go in to channel 1/2 from computer/turntable whatever, and then go out from 1/2 into my daw via usb - will this capture my eqing / fader / effects? or does it just go raw?

Not sure, but it would if you went out the master into your DAW I think.

I use an ERM. I had to buy a Motu Ultralite to send clock to ERM(as well as 4 stereo audio tracks to mixer). I picked it up on ebay for 250. It also allows you to use the trackor fx as sends :wink:

Its about time a mixer company/DAW -traktor etc got together to offer this(seeing as midi sucks over usb etc) on a mixer/dj software.

Be great if say xone 96 had a clock out port(audio jack) and then traktor/daw could send a audio pulse out over this port to the likes or erm or USAMO. Nope what do they do, put a midi out port on mixer which sucks bigtime. Unstable as hell clock.

No it s pre fader and eq.

It does!
It has the sync out 3.5mm Jack
But I don’t know how it can be accessed to route a signal. Not sure it can from the soundcard.

External inputs are raw, however usb input is not available as raw.

Filter/eq is captured via main outs 11/12.

Yeh dont think this can be accessed in Daw etc.

You could try my workaround (loose 1 channel on xone) -

See the last post. Basically using second headphone output on xone to send clock pulse to your USAMO. Allowing you to keep your sends for fx.

Also, there s a system diagram in the manual where these things can be found in.

thanks for the responses. definitely not experienced at reading the block diagram - barely know what the hell is going on.

so the outputs operate the same as a basic output on a standard soundcard, it doesn’t actually run through the mixer. interesting.

so for recording a mix, with sends / fx/ faders / eqs etc - this can be done by usb channels 11/12?

Mix on 11/12, yes.

But if you use usb inputs (ie. output from the soundcard), say sending audio from ableton into a mixer channel, then it absolutely goes through the eq, faders etc like an analog input.

was just thinking it would be useful to be able to record each channel from the mix (eq and all) to its own separate track in ableton. but that does not seem to be the case.

No that doesn t work. I still multitrack my mixes to have separate stems for daw edits, remixes, etc.

how do you go about multitracking your mixes if it can’t be done during the initial recording?

Well it can but not with fades and eq imprinted in the individual instrument channels. But the mix is recorded in parallel. So i get both the recording of my main mix and multitracks of my instrument inputs. Those can serve as raw material for edits later.

Lets not forget that the return input channels can t be recorded over usb though.

so C and D can’t be recorded via usb?

A-D can t. Only 1-4 can be recorded on individual usb channels. There s a chart with this in the manual.

Though 1 or 2 sends can also be used as usb inputs, for example sending A and B into them. When both sends are used as usb input then the main mix can t be sent over usb. There s a switch button for that. 6 stereo channels into usb maximum.

Yes it s a bit confusing at first. Have a good look at the manual.

Thank you for explaining this - I mostly just record separate stems into my DAW by muting the other channels, but this way will make it much better for time.

1 Like

Come to think of it, with the aux sends set to post-fader and used as usb inputs, one can record the eq and fader manipulations on the source tracks. Of course the ability to use hardware fx on the aux sends is lost (though with some creativity and limitations could still be used actually).

1 Like

Any experiments with Mac OS Aggregate Device?
That would be Xone 96 over USB plus another soundcard.
To work around the fact that the master insert on the xone can not be routed over usb, but you still want to use the DAW for master bus treatment, without giving away the xones capability of multichannel USB Streaming.
Setup would be: Option 1: Devices like OT or RT into the mixer, process over usb in the DAW, return to the mixer, send the master to a second soundcard, process in the same DAW, and return to the mixer master insert.
Option 2: Same, but send the master from the mixer over USB to the DAW, and return over a second soundcard to the analog master insert inputs on the mixer.
I read many different oppinions on Aggregate Device, but assumed the second soundcard works with core driver and at the same sample rate as the mixer, would it run smoothly? (mine would be native komplete 6)
I don’t own the mixer yet, trying to figure if it would work.