Xone 96 Mixer

Good stuff mate. Yeh its a great analog mixer with digital benefits. Makes my mixes sound really warm and good quality. Only things I dislike is the master meter switches to cue level. Id rather that stay on master all the time. Workaround is using the meter on my master insert (RMX). Now I can see master level at all times. Other thing is the USB recording on 11/12 is pre insert so I have to record using record out RCAs if I want my master fx.

Il check those fx units out. Quite fancy switching mine up, also like sound of the zen delay.

1 Like

Thanks! Yes, the USB master pre-insert is too badā€¦ I wonder if that could be changed in some update or if it is physically impossible with how the mixer is builtā€¦

I wish. I contacted A&H but they told me to use the master loopback into a channel as a workaround. Maybe if more people complained to them it could be fixed or changed for future mixers

1 Like

Good one. If you re not sending all channel inputs to USB that s a viable solution.

2 Likes

I would expect that.

1 Like

Yeh works nice but im using all six channels lol. I just use either a zoom h5 or the line in on my motherboard if I want to record directly into pc

Yeah, I also need all channels on the mixer, so recording via the Record or Master 2 analog outputs should doā€¦ anyway, that means only one AD conversion, which is the case also when recording the USB from the Xone right?

Xone96 can get hot. Nothing to worry about. Highly dependent on the environment as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes Iā€™m aware that it gets hot, still felt maybe it got unusually hot, like I could smell the heat.

I leave enough space on the sides for air. Granted itā€™s summer in Berlin but my room is rather OK.

I think Iā€™ll take the offer from thomann. I bought a b-stock and theyā€™ll send me a new unit without a price increase which is great, they said theyā€™d inspect the unit Iā€™ll send back and I expect they either fix it and resell it as b-stock or just sell it if itā€™s operating as expectedā€¦

1 Like

Yeh should be the case. Analog out mixer to recorders AD convertor

2 Likes

If one of the mixer channels gets its source from USB, say iPad, then you can use the analog input to record the master with insert over USB. Source selector is on USB1/2 so you don t hear the analog signal. Or would it then send the USB input signal out to USB? Not sure.

I guess it always sends what source is selected on the trackā€¦ Canā€™t try right now.

I think its whatever the input selector is set to which gets fed into channel that would get recorded.

Yah, that would be the more logical way.

Maybe Iā€™m asking a question thatā€™s already been answered in this thread but hey itā€™s late and my brain is getting cloudy so here goes. Iā€™m considering the Xone 96, my plan with it is as follows
Channel 1, 2, 3 & 4 will have various bits of hardware going in and sending usb to my daw. I will use channel A for another piece of hardware and I will be using channel B for the return of my effects pedal chain that each channel can send to, which I can stream as a seperate usb channel to the daw also?

Also has anyone tried doubling this up with an interface using an Aggregate device? I currently have a Xone 43 and an Ultralite MK4, the Xone 43 would be getting sold but Iā€™d still like to Utilize the Ultralite mk4 for extra channels. Iā€™ve tested using an aggregate with the Ultralite and my Traktor box but cant seem to get any audio on the extra channels, I guess i need to do more research on where Iā€™m going wrong. But is using an aggregate stable and reliable for something like this?

As a workaround you could just turn the cue volume down when you donā€™t want it sending? I send the cue from my Xone 43 to my Octatrack and that way Iā€™m just choosing which track to send by each cue button, or the master by highlighting none of the cues. With the Xone 96 youā€™ve got 2 cues so you donā€™t even need to forsake it if you do need to monitor with headphones also.

1 Like

In my personal experience: no problem at all.
Used to have an aggregate between a MOTU UltraLite Mk3 and a Novation 2x2. The only thing is that you have to ensure that the drift correction is engaged on one of the 2.
Apart from that, it works great :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey Dave, I just want to make sure Iā€™m grasping what youā€™re saying. Iā€™m confused by the manual referring to the 5th and 6th usb channels as ā€˜sendsā€™ rather than ā€˜returnsā€™. So do channels A&B simply not just send what is being routed into them via usb to my DAW? E.g Could I have a synth going into channel A, then have my sends going into an Effects pedal with the return signal going into channel B with this effects return audio sending to my DAW on the 6th usb channel?

Thanks.

Anyone got any tips for how to use the xone 96 with USAMO?
Essentially what I need to be able to do is send the USAMO audio out from my DAW straight to one of the outputs, but bypassing the master out.

My setup is as follows:
Rytm and synths to Line ins 1-4 (L+R)
I also have 2 decks in the RIAA L+ R ins on channels 2 and 4
I have hardware effects set up on the sends 1 and 2 and returns A and B
On send 2 I am just sending a mono out of the left channel leaving the send 2 right output unused.

I set USAMO to send the route the audio to the XONE channel 12.
I was hoping I could use the send 2 right channel to output the USAMO clock audio.
If I set the return B input to USB1 and turn the send 2 pot to max, it works, but the clock audio is audible on the master out, which is not good.

My head is hurting trying to figure to out. Is there anyway of sending the audio straight from Ableton to the send out without having to hear it on the return channel? Or am I being daft.
Any help appreciated!

Update: if I use send 1 instead of 2 I can at least send it pre-fader which solves the clock audibility issue
I guess it just doesnā€™t quite have the flexibility of a more dedicated production audio interface. It would be nice to be able to route the clock audio to a single (mono) output and not have to use up a whole return channel and take the other send output out of the equation.
In an ideal world youā€™d also be able to route directly to the currently redundant sync output or unused (in my case) booth outputs for these kind of duties and not use up a return channel in the process.
Will learn to work with these limitations though I guess.

Was in the same situation a while ago and it was not working to my satisfaction.
My setup is close to yours and there is no free channel that can be used for the usamo. The 96 is a stereo dj mixer and you cannot set it up for mono purposes. So IĀ“ve decided to use the mixer just as mixer without its audio interface capabilities. Also taking into consideration that usb master is pre-insert.
Now I record the 96 master audio into RME babyface which is my main audio interface. Ableton is synced with overbridge or alternatively i can send usamo audio from RME headphone out.

1 Like