Xone 96 Mixer

Why don’t you get yourself a patchbay? Could be a nice solution for your need.

3 Likes

Agreed. A patchbay is probably what you need. You wouldn’t be able to use more than 1 set of inputs on each channel anyway even if you could plug them all in.

3 Likes

Phono inputs apply the RIAA eq curve too, so that ‘d all need to be bypassed too:

1 Like

Also, stupid question, but are you using all 4 sets of return inputs?

Thanks for your answers, yes I am using all sends and returns as well. I have multiple setups for different purposes and I don’t want to mangling with cables all the time.

I think a patchbay is the way to go, as suggested. I will do some research on that, thanks!

1 Like
1 Like

Hey Pau

No i dont seem to have that problem i dont have my audio going through USB though. Have you contacted support ?

Hi guys, havent reasd the whole thread but I’m super tempted by this mixer but have one question:

Can you use the Xone96 as a 6 track audio interface?

As in can you route the 6 inputs to their corresponding USB outs and record 6 individual track in a DAW?

Does that make sense? Also how’s the latency? cheers guys

Yes. It has two independent 24 channel audio interfaces in it. Can’t speak to its latency though. I have a Xone:PX5 but have only used its sound card in brief with my iPad.

1 Like

i have my Xone 96 since it came out, now i found a connection on the backside and looked into the manual what it’s for.

Does anyone knows what will be the future products of A&H? the mixer is out on the market for quite some time but no device from A&H for this output.

4 main channels and the 2 sends can be sent from mixer.

6 outputs from daw can be sent to any of the 6 main channels.

Thers a table somewhere above in this thread I’ve posted before showing it.

1 Like

Ok, after a few hours of read all the discussion full of very useful information, please tell me if I understand everything and if I can proceed with the purchase of the Xone 96.

My setup will be this:

Synth 1 -> Ch.1 (Rec. on USB 1/2)
Synth 2 -> Ch.2 (Rec. on USB 3/4)
Synth 3 -> Ch.3 (Rec. on USB 5/6)
Synth 4 -> Ch.4 (Rec. on USB 7/8)
Groovebox 1 -> Ch.5 (Return A) (Send 1 -> Rec. on USB 9/10)
Groovebox 2 -> Ch.6 (Return B) (Send 2 -> Rec. on USB 11/12)

Cue to Phone 1 -> FX1 (Delay) -> Y split -> Ch.7 (Return C) & RME IN to rec.
Selected channel to Phone 2 -> FX2 (Reverb) -> Y split -> Ch.8 (Return D) & RME IN to rec.

Master 1 -> RME Fireface for stereo mix recording (with EQ+Filter)
Master 2 -> Dbox -> Speakers + 2 Phones for listening

With this setup I should be able to do my jam live session listening to all channels and effects and simultaneously record a total of 9 stereo tracks (the stereo bus and separate stems for each instruments/effects).

In your opinion, should this be correct as setup?

Thanks so much for your help.

Hi lordalcol,

i noticed that from your scheme you made a similar setup to the one I would like to create. So, i wanted to ask you if you can help me with my configuration as I described in the post above.

Thank you very much.

Really tempted by one of these, mainly for DJing but maybe also for some production use. Total overkill for home use really but ticks so many boxes and would satisfy me for a lifetime. I could get a second hand 92 for half the price though, so I do need to think about really how much I need the soundcards and other enhancements…

Anyone got any negatives to mention about this mixer? So far I’m aware of these, none of which are deal breakers:

• It runs pretty hot
  • It’s large (not necessarily a bad thing as the knobs are more spaced out)
  • A few routing caveats e.g. you can’t route USB returns back in to C or D, which restricts using A or B as normal channels with send effects over USB (I have a spare 4 channel interface I could use with my iPad if I wanted to do this so not a huge deal)

Thoughts vs. the 92 for home use, ignoring the soundcards, are welcome too – the main negatives of the 92 I am aware of are the filter popping (got a Xone:22 so I’m familiar with this) and the cue button behaviour sounds a bit annoying (I’m used to the “latching cues” from Pioneer) – equally, probably not dealbreakers.

Hi @DaveNotFound,
I’m doing something very similar to what you want, and the Xone 96 is working REALLY well for it.
I think you should go ahead and buy it. The sound quality is also great.

I just want to point out a couple of things, to make sure you have thought about that:

1. in your configuration the Xone master is not recorded via the Xone USB interface, but via the RME.
  2. are you doing aggregate devices? Is it realizable?
  3. inputs C and D do not have insert jacks, so how are you recording them in the RME?
  4. remember you basically do not have Sends anymore (but I see that you are using headphone cues as sends, like I do)
  5. headphone 2 can only select one channel at a time, or master

Other than that, I think you will enjoy it a lot.

1 Like

I’ll list you my negatives, which to me are minor and I would still buy it:

• Channels A and B cannot be assigned to X and Y of the crossfader
  • there are no inserts for individual channels
  • channels 1-4 are stereo only
1 Like

This works if you can use both the Xone and RME audio interfaces at the same time.

1 Like

Great, thanks! None of these are an issue for my intended use but it’s good to be aware of them

• main insert after USB send, so can t record the main insert fx via the built-in audio interface
  • when cues are active the level meters always shows the cued channels, no way to have it show the main channel instead

Apart from this, great device.

1 Like

Ah yeah, I was aware of these two. Mildly annoying but again not deal breakers :slight_smile: thanks!

1 Like