World Cup ‘22…Field Fairies Unite!

I prefer to watch American politics for that :joy:

1 Like

True, Far more fun when it isn’t your own country

1 Like

I’m totally biased as prefer Rugby - which I’m sure bores a lot of people.

I think its like some people love cats, some people hate cats.
(that’s what ultimately put me off eurorack, I kept feeling like my missing module was a cat - seemed like an essential pet for making it into the big league)

Soccer! :rofl: - Might as well say Sport Ball.

I tend to think that Antarctica and the countries that sent workers definitely lost.

1 Like

If I had a serious point to make:

• in an ideal world the likes of FIFA and the Olympics wouldn’t be big brown envelope, get rich quick, commercial operations cynically feasting off the masses, and instead would be beacons of good sport, respect and fairness.

• in that imaginary world, they could then take their flame of hope into any country that hosts them and promote a global message of peace, respect, understanding and pursuit of happiness.

• in which case, I would have no problem with wherever the event is hosted and would prefer to see sport transcending politics and hopefully as a positive messenger inject its spirit wherever it is held to aid advancement and freedom

However in the reality they are big money gobbling enterprises for the fat cats, seen as an award or an endorsement by whichever regime hosts, the sport is merely the lawn entertainment.

But that’s all too serious.

3 Likes

Football has become impossible to enjoy with all of the virtue signalling bs.

As for Qatar - I see it now as people in glass houses. Most governments are absolutely corrupt.

1 Like

I agree virtue signaling can be nauseating at times.

but if it wasn’t happening, the world would have resorted to cannibalism by now.
there unfortunately needs to be some standard-setting of what is decent.
humans appear not to naturally gravitate to goodness over the long term.
pitifully, the planet keeps needing reminding of that as can regress very quickly to tribalism from whoever grabs a megaphone.

You’d think the human race would be advancing, but it still seems to need a hell of a lot of advocacy that (metaphorically or otherwise) stoning people for living their lives is not right.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s virtue singalling to point out the hypocrisy of FIFA jumping on the Pride bandwagon when it suits them, only to then go completely the other way by both awarding Qatar the world cup, then attempting to squash any attempt at advocacy on behalf of the LGBT community.

I don’t think it’s virtue signalling to ask questions about the thousands of dead and seriously injured migrant workers and the horrible conditions endured by all having to build a whole world cup from scratch (because FIFA awarded one to a country who didn’t have a single football stadium).

I see a lot of virtue signalling from all the corporate sponsors with their “inclusive” initiatives and “green” credentials, who then go on to sponsor an event hosted by people who call homosexuality a disease of the mind in stadia that have to be air conditioned just to be useable.

Yep, pretty much all government is corrupt, but I’m not a government, so why shouldn’t I or anyone else have something to say about this nonsense?

Anyways, nice to see Denmark performing solidly again.

EDIT: Literally as I’m sending it, boss man scores, doesn’t he…

10 Likes

Im talking about football in General and that for me… I’m not able to watch it as I don’t agree with some messaging in it’s entirety.

Specifying Qatar, again my own view is that a lot of people do not show the same outrage when these types of events are staged in western countries which also show a huge disregard for human rights.

2 Likes

The thing I REALLY don’t like about the term ‘virtue signaling’ is that (insofar as I understand its intended use) it is equally used to smear genuine sincere people who are speaking out or acting on important matters, and importantly who aren’t hypocrites, but are charged with it from the dark malevolent cynical corners.

‘Did you see the photo on Linked-in of Bob down at the soup kitchen for 8 hours helping homeless people and raising awareness?’
‘Yeah … what a virtue signaler’

It shouldn’t really matter if is Bob or MegaCorp, so long as they are doing something positive, why not?
Hypocritical virtue signaling however is a whole other artform.

Either way I hate the term. It puts people off advocating for anything. Which is exactly what THEY, our dark overlords want!

5 Likes

Very well expressed. And bummer about Denmark …

Hoping England go out soon so I’m not flooded with its coming home bile on the telly everyday

1 Like

I think the best thing about football threads is all the people who join just to tell you they don’t like football.

13 Likes

Well chosen words, given the subject matter.

Same here, can’t stand football.

Bravo!

1 Like

Time to celebrate! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Just woke up and I see Croatia has tied it up. >.<

And again :frowning:

1 Like