Working in Games Industry

one of the things i would have liked to do…had a couple of chances but mh…never really ended up the way i hoped. nonetheless, i would still like to ‘join the fun’ for things like: making soundtracks for games/movies, but i think/know it’s kind hard to get into the circle, got to know people, be good at doing what you do and and and…not as easy as having a pizza that’s for sure :grin:

1 Like

Sorry to barge in like that, but holy cow, your work cost me a few precious months of my life and at least one semester of my university course :smiley:

2 Likes

You’re literally responsible for the reason I joined the industry. Man, Baldur’s Gate, the hours I poured into that. My first pro gig in the industry, we basically tried to dissect Baldur’s Gate, see what we could do better. Let’s just say that we failed. Spectacularly. In so many ways you can and can’t imagine.

I think the CEO for that developer company is actually wanted by the law in a few countries now.

5 Likes

Well done !

1 Like

ive been making games for about 30 years
started doing graphics on c64 / amiga onwards.
worked at various places around the uk , currently based in central/northish london.
we have some elektron gear in the audio dept , i hope to borrow the heat at some point.

2 Likes

I’m an ex c64er, used to work on a UK mag years back before becoming a coder :slight_smile:

https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/shrinknp_200_200/p/1/000/124/0da/0e6dc95.jpg

Given Elektron’s history it’s great to see other breadbinners on here

1 Like

ha.

i worked on (c64 wise) … i doubt any got decent reviews , except maybe alien storm.
alien storm ,
strider 2 (rubbish) ,
un squadron ,
mega twins (never came out) ,
bonanza brothers(never came out)
cool world
wrestlemania
zrenite
maybe other things ive forgotten.

ive only recently thrown out my zzappppp64 collection.

2 Likes

I think it has some of the trappings of the games industry…

Hi Guys, Ex Rare/Microsoft animator here, working in a small startup now on a planet of the apes game, good to see a whole range of companies represented here :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Made sound and music for couple of small games. Even for a slotmachine once. OT was the tool. But I never went into the industry. Staying with films.

2 Likes

Favorite experience from those days was working with Rob Hubbard, an awesome C64 musician. The technical precision needed to both write the music and implement it efficiently was amazing.

He did 2 great tunes for us, the sound tracks for Sanxion and Delta. Particularly fond of Delta, we asked for something a bit Phillip Glass-y. Always loved the idea of kids shooting the shit out of aliens to borderline pretentious neo-classical bleeps :smiley:

And on top of all that he was an excellent chap. Vive le SID

5 Likes

Some tremendous reading! I am an avid Retro Gamer reader and @re5et, Alien Storm had a recent feature. The focus was on the arcade/Sega conversions but I’m fairly certain the C64 version got a mention. There is usually a breakout box covering the home conversions in these features - they don’t pull punches but neither do they make fun. Quite often they ask the coder of these conversions a few questions which give insight into why things turned out good or bad.

My first gaming experience was on my C64. I wanted a NES but my Dad refused to buy me one as it wasn’t a “proper” computer. Spent hours coding on it as an 8 or 9 year old. Just copying from library books mostly. Then I got my Game Boy, then SNES and, well, the rest is history.

2 Likes

yeh , they did a short bit on c64 alien storm
my claim to fame , 20 years on.

1 Like

That’s what I love about gaming though. 20+ years on and still people talk avidly about these games. I still regularly play through Super Mario World. I could probably complete Links Awakening/Monkey Island blind folded having not touched it in over a decade! And everyone has a random “it’s a bit shit really” game they love. Mine, 4X game Pax Imperia: Emenent Domain!

2 Likes

I thought Delta was written by only Stavros Fasoulas, with Hubbard on music.

Were you publishing? Or are you Stavros? :blush:

1 Like

Stav was freelance, me and Andy Wright ran the company. I was the technical guy.

I did do the mix-e-load make your own tune stuff on Delta, Ableton before Ableton existed :smiley:

3 Likes

Ok. So you’re one of my childhood heroes. Damn. That Delta in-game music. One of the most atmospheric pieces to come out of the C64.

I worked a lot with the Digital Illusions crew in the early 2000’s. Their Pinball games were something else.

The shit I could tell you about their early years :joy:

4 Likes

I worked for a short spell as a “consultant” for Digital Illusions Creative Entertainment in their Stockholm office, on their awesome web based cartoon Battlefield series title “Battlefield Heroes”.

1 Like

<< making list of names to send CV to :smiley_cat:

3 Likes

We are hiring , if you are good and want to work in London get in touch. , lots of roles.
We’ve done award winning games that you’ve heard of :grinning:

1 Like