Woodworking thread

I’ve been looking for a multi-tier stand for some of my gear and not finding what I need. So perhaps it’s an opportunity to learn some woodworking skills and build my own.

I know others here have attempted similar, so how about starting a woodworking resources thread? Is there a good handbook you’d recommend? Particularly useful joints? Tool tips? Design ideas? Wood that you like working with (and where to find an affordable supply)?

Cheers!

4 Likes

Interested in this as well!

1 Like

I have built mine, it’s not extremely difficult but be prepared to fail if it’s the first time you do this ^^

To design the stand, I had put a machine on the side, and payed much attention to be able to plug and unplug easily, as I very often bring some machines outside the studio.

If the shelf is long, you have to reinforce it so that it doesn’t bend.
I found that my stands are ok when I’m on a chair, but when I’m standing my back is easily hurt so I should have made them more vertical than they are.

I’ll try to make some picture at some point.

But it’s not very hard to do your own, and rather pleasant !

2 Likes

Be careful, woodworking is a deep rabbit hole to jump down. It can be a wickedly expensive interest, but if you’re patient and put in the work you can find some cheap or even free tools and materials. But I don’t think I have to lecture anyone about GAS here.

Paul Sellers blog and youtube channel is an amazing resource for beginners, especially if you plan on working with hand tools. youtube in general is filled with great resources for new woodworkers.

Finding a lumber supplier can be tough. Good hardwoods from a lumberyard are expensive. Reclaimed lumber can be super cheap, but it will take a lot of prep to get it workable. Menard’s has the best lumber selection out of all the big big stores near me. I use their “select grade” pine for 50% of my projects. It’s straight, stable, and surfaced on four sides so you can start working with it right away.

I’m currently gluing up the top for a sitting workbench. I’ve been using my dad’s garage to work for so long, now this is the start of my own space and I’m super excited about it. Later today I’ll plane the edges and practice the mortise and tenon I’m going to use for the legs.

4 Likes

I don’t know if it’s the case in your place, but you may have a chance to join some local organizations that will share room and tools + help you learn how to reach your goal.

1 Like

That’s definitely something I’ve considered, covid makes it hard to share a space though. It would be invaluable to have some company in the workshop, plus the extra room and access to power tools.

For now, I have a dank little storage area in my apartment I’ll be working in. It’s a little cramped, so if I need the extra room post covid that’s something I’m considering. I’m in a major city so I don’t think I’ll have trouble finding someone to work with.

Yeah man! I went down that rabbit hole around 3 years ago:) It does come with some GAS indeed but nothing too dangerous in my case, after you’ve got a nice track saw and a good power drill you can already be on your way quite nicely.

Lumber: Multiplex is your friend:) Cheap and rigid. Prices of lumber types vary quite a lot though per region, due to sourcing of available wood types. (I think) Besides that, some lumber yards offer smaller pieces of scrap leftovers from projects. Half a board of oak isn’t worth much on the scale of laying a floor, so they sell it off for a few bucks, whilst it’s super valuable for me making small projects.

I learned lots on YouTube from Matt Estlea. Fun channel, nice dude, and knows what he’s doing too.

3 Likes

I have a small room to woodwork, about 2x3 meters I guess, lot can be done already there. Longer pieces of wood I saw with my track saw in the corridor next to it. Takes some vacuuming after lol, but if needed it’s fine. Which is to say: don’t worry a lot can be done if you only have some space

Regarding joints, lots to learn from watching YouTube projects by people mentioned like Sellers and Estlea. And I’ve enjoyed a lot learning to do dovetails on small boxes. But don’t be fooled: simple methods are quite strong already. Butt joints (just two surfaces 90 degrees against eachother) are actually pretty strong as long as you have some thick surfaces against eachother. Wood glue is mega strong too. I’d say wood glue for surface to surface plus butt joints and a couple of screws do the trick for half of your projects:)

Biggest think to learn is to think ahead the 3D puzzle of how things will fit together into a well thought out structure:)

2 Likes

I’ve been working with wood my whole life. Instead of daycare I helped my dad on construction sites as a small child. Got into luthier work as a teenager, furniture and custom trick stage building in my 20’s and early 30s, now I work as a carpenter since that’s where the money is best.
Don’t go nuts buying tools at first. You can get a lot of mileage from a small, wisely chosen few. If possible have someone give you a crash course on any rotationally cutting power tool, lots of woodworkers missing digits but they can be used safely.
Practice your spacial visualization. Draw everything you want to build. The drawings don’t have to be good, they just help you work through potential issues before you’ve started cutting anything.
Depending on where you live wood can be really expensive. I take wood home from work all the time and I barely put a dent in the trash pile. Construction site dumpsters are your friend. Or talk to the foreman on a job site, they’ll probably let you rummage through the scrap pile.
And if you’re going to make furniture grade stuff you should learn to love sanding.

8 Likes

I was just think today as I was sanding again (when I thought I was done sanding 3 days ago): They shouldn’t call people wood workers. They should call them sanders, because that what you do like 90% of the time I swear :joy:

Now I have to put the finish on… and sand between each coat, more sanding :crazy_face:

6 Likes

Seriously. I’ve had the same thought many times. Back when making furniture was my main source of income I bought a festool rotex sander (overpriced but amazing) and used it so much I had to change the motor brushes twice in a year.
Here’s a pic of a registration desk I made for a convention. After all of the carving (no small task on its own) I spent 40 hours sanding it! image

23 Likes

That one was sanded with cut strips of sandpaper to get into all of the crevices. My finger tips were sore for a while after that. I wish I had pics of it at the event. It was bathed in constantly color changing lights.

3 Likes

It’s beautiful, but I cringe at the thought of how much work that was.

I’d be questioning my life somewhere between the end of carving and beginning of sanding.

I’m just picking up wood working so I can make nice custom things for myself and my family. I could see myself enjoying it when I didn’t feel rushed. It’s probably why so many old retired guys do it. They aren’t in a rush so they can enjoy the process and take as long as they need.

4 Likes

I grew up building stuff
I cant offer any real resources other than build, build, and build some more.
Challenge yourself, be patient, expect mistakes, and redeem them by starting over and applying what you’ve learned.

4 Likes

if you get into hand tool woodworking with planes and such, you’ll spend more time sharpening tools and less time sanding. much like anything else, having the right context and experience goes a long way. i took a hand tool woodworking class last fall that really helped me make sense of some stuff. previously, i thought i knew what a sharp blade looked or felt like, but i was totally off the mark. they even sound different, which is experience you won’t get by reading a book or even watching a video. once you get the basics down, you can go a long way.

learn to

• establish a reference face and edge on a board
  • flatten a board to get rid of cupping or warping
  • sharpen blades and chisels and how to keep them sharp
  • measure and mark accurately
  • hand saw accurately
  • make mortise and tenon joints, dovetails, and dados

it all takes time, like everything else, but is very rewarding.

5 Likes

Oh yeah. I was questioning my life pretty seriously by the second day of sanding. The carving was fun since I was just working from a sketch and had some artistic liberty. I did the rough work with a pneumatic power chisel that I made a wood blade for (this was back when I did a little black smithing) and did the detail work with gouges. The sanding was awful but I was paid well for it.
The heartbreaking part was that about a year after I made it the client got tired of storing it and threw it away.
I like the slow pace of building for myself/ family but at work it’s usually a rush.

1 Like

I believe that using hand tools is essential. When you get down to the fine details hand tools are what you need. Power tools are more likely to rip and tear and wood can be expensive.

One of the best resources (as stated earlier) is Paul Sellers stuff. Here’s a book course (you can buy the DVD’s too). That will walk you through every tool and technique you need to build almost anything.

For those looking for resources:

Once you learn this stuff then get into power tools to speed up some of the processes. Things like basic rough squaring of wood, cutting lengths, and ripping long boards are easier with power tools. Then come back to your hand tools for the fine details.

5 Likes

Maybe we can share nice woodworking meets synths YouTube videos here! First up just something rough, simple, and fun I just bumped into. Nice example of how with just simple materials and some time you can start making.

Love the problem he runs into around 4m30s. Sums up (amateur) woodworking perfectly in my experience.

PS the built-in power sockets in the back are above my possibilities/skill level; having no wood willing machine or drill press. Maybe I should try something like that sometime with chisels?

4 Likes

Buddy you can check this guide for Beginner (New) Woodworker:

You will get good amount of knowledge from here. You got to know about
Refinishing Wood With Oil
Basic Right Angled Cuts
Sanding
Drilling Holes

And when you start practicing them you become better woodworker.

2 Likes