Woodworking thread

Let’s see if I can get some help here!

I’ve been trying to come up with a way to easily attach a small tray for my OTO Boum to the side of one of my two 19inch cases that house my other gear. Reason: I often play at a friends studio, and his table is a bit too small to place my Boum next to the cases. And when I do, it’s a lot lower and thus more out of reach than the rest. I’m also considering a dedicated folding stand for the Boum.

But is there an easy way I could woodwork a tray to attach to the side? My first attempt in on the photo below. But the two angled latches don’t inspire much confidence (it wiggles a lot), and when I had another latch, I couldn’t slide the tray into the side of the rack case…

Any smart ideas? Maybe just óne latch instead of two and use a woodworking clamp to attach it?

Smarter ways for this problem that people see?

1 Like

In the spirit of simplicity and not deviating too far from what you have going here let’s modify your clamp idea.
What about making the shelf an L shape rotated 90 degrees clockwise so there is a downward leg that goes against the side of the case. Drill a hole (or two? I’m not familiar with the size and weight of the boum) through the top (horizontal) part of the shelf large enough to pass the fixed end of a small c clamp through. Make sure to avoid drilling through the downward vertical leg. The screw end of the clamp(s) would be on the inside of the case and everything else would be on the outside tight against the side. I would make the downward leg as long as the case is deep. Also when sizing the top keep in mind that it will have to be as wide as the boum, the thickness of the downward leg, and however much of the clamp(s) will be exposed on top, all combined. If you want it to be super stable you can add triangular pieces between the two L pieces, I’d do one at the front and one at the back.
A second take on the same theme would be to forgo the clamps and instead use two small bolts, two wing nuts, and four washers to attach it. It would be easy to mount and unmount due to the wing nuts and would be plenty secure but would require drilling two holes in your case and you might not want to do that.
I hope that makes sense, it’s been a long day and I probably should have just drawn a picture but I can’t find a pen.
If you don’t like those ideas there’s more where they came from.

1 Like

Wow, I’ve missed your reply!

Appreciate the effort to write it all up. I’m gonna try to decipher the first half when I’ve had my coffee. But already the second half makes a lot of sense to me too, using wing nuts to secure/clamp it in some way. Cheers!

PS alternatively, I see now, that I could also bring a simple screwdriver and make a simple tray that attaches more to the front next to the Eventide Space by using the Rack-screw over there…

If I get any of these ideas to work I will post back:)