Wishes for Ableton Push 3 and Live 10

I’ve only very recently started using the Push 2 again after looking for unused bits of gear to sell for new bikes, switched it on to try and lost 2 days with a big creative spell then used it a lot since and it’s been very productive for me.

What I would really like from a new Push is a more lightweight model for using on my knee. The 2 really starts to dig into my legs after a while and I have to keep changing positions to maintain the blood flow in my legs. I did love the weight when it was perched on a stand upstairs, but I prefer to be more flexible now using it whenever the urge takes me on the couch in the living room.

Also, for all the buttons this has, I barely use a third of them. Different profiles for different uses would suit a wider range of users.

Ableton is at times driving me nuts with the Push though. I’ve been sampling some tunes off the laptop and it’s looping fine on the Push when I mark the start and end points, but as soon as I record it to a clip it stops looping properly.

I’ve tried warp on/off, bar count on/off, adjusting tempo, fine tuning chops, checking the grid start and end points are bang on etc, playing a different note to trigger the loop, checking loop length, s start, s loop length etc. I can’t work out the problem. A simple task on any other sampler, but not always on this it seems. Push forces you to chop files as midi rather than audio, so looks like a fixed Abe calculated warp too.

Anyone had, or know what’s causing this issue?

That’s the thing I don’t like about these pad controllers.
Why is there a field of pads below the small screens?
Surely there’s some creative design opportunities that allow for encoders/pots/screens to be below, with the pads above, perhaps on a raised plane, or side by side ala MPC/Rytm/SP16.
Really what I want is an SP-16 formatted Push 3 standalone with battery power.

3 Likes

Starting to get bored and decided to nerco post here…

So what do you think, will we ever see it?

I would so much adore compact push 3 travel edition with stereo in/out, max 16 trax, some internal plugins like operator, analog, drum racks, play samples from disk…

Otherwise maybe soon we see ipad with m2 processor and osx…

Does someone think that Ableton will release Push 3 soon or is it unlikely due to chip shortages?

I am about to buy a Push 2 but it would be bad if they release Push 3 soon if I buy one.

They were looking for an embedded hardware engineer a few years ago. I was also hoping for a standalone device, but we got a lot in the recent years so I forgot about theM D:

If there is a 3, I think the options would be

1. Slimmer (if that is the case, then no audio in or out , unless is 1/8)
    2 Maybe shorter on the sides? But we wouldn’t win any considerable real-estate there
  2. It would be great if it was thought out as the center of production. Have a headphone output and MIDI in and out, same size, no problem.
  3. MPE
1 Like

standalone would be amazing but I’ll settle for just an implementation of a new exterior coating that doesn’t turn into a sticky/gummy nightmare within a short period of time (which then spreads to anything else you touch)

Thanks for the response guys!

I have heard about the ”sticky” issue. It’s hard to know, of course, but is that on every Push 2 or is it just a few that have that issue?

For me, I just want a really good controller for Ableton so no standalone for me. But it would be really amazing if they made one with 2 modes. 1 standalone mode and an Ableton mode. It may be hard to implement both in one controller, but it would be amazing.

Is Push 2 just semi MPE compatible? How does MPE works on Push 2?