Wishes for Ableton Push 3 and Live 10

I think it would be cool if Push 3 was capable of being piece-wise, and rearrangable in addition to being expandable. More knob sections, more pads, replace the pads with an MPE keyboard. Put the knobs in front of the computer with the pads over to the side.

too many guidelines violations to count… suspensions pending

This would honestly be great. Buy the pieces you need, leave out the ones you don’t. Very Roll like, haha. If Ableton made a standalone box that could just hold 2 drum racks and 3 instruments with sequencing and no FX I’d buy it. It’d be like a Push Live; Jam now, arrange and finish later!

1 Like

Just saw on their Twitter page that they were looking for hardware designer at the beginning of August, so not sure if Push 3 is coming this year. Or maybe they just want to do more devices and make them modular.

Indeed, saw the same post. I reckon maybe next year?

Yes. Or this could also mean they want to expand their line in the next years with smaller devices. And maybe they’ll announce Push 3 at Loop 2018. This will depend on what they plan to add in Ableton 10.1
MPE is certainly the next thing to be added this year I guess. This alone could justify a new device if they don’t want to let the market entirely to ROLI (in the accessible price range)

Or I could imagine that they want to do a smaller device. Something between a Roli Blocks and Push.

Plus, Los Angeles is the perfect place to announce this.

Per note automation would be nice, guess that would be pretty much a given with mpe integration

the form of a ukelele would be …

Ableton have always stated only one hardware device and Push is it. There wont be a Push3 for a while yet, still much more life in Push2 yet.

Where did they state this ? I don’t see why they wouldn’t want to do more devices. Push isn’t even that portable anymore compared to Roli, Maschine and the MPC Live. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’d start doing modular devices.

Yes Push 2 has still more life. I’m just saying that they’re maybe wanting to jump off the MPE hype before people lean towards Roli or other future devices. They wouldn’t stop support for Push 2 for a few more years.

1 Like

Stated at previous Loop conventions, The design of Push closely integrates with the way Live presents itself, i.e 8 knobs matching the 8 macro controls and so on. As for the size, it isnt that much larger than Maschine MK3, if portability is your thing, then MPC Live would be more up your street. MPE is still a niche market at the moment, and you can do MPE within Ableton, if you put time into setting up the instrument concerned, and yes I have a Roli as well, along with Equator, which is MPE within Ableton Live.

Only reason MPE is still “sort of” considered niche is because Ableton don’t support it. They have the biggest market share for electronic musicians so it’s kind of up to them. I mean you can by MPE controllers at Apple store now. Not very niche. Yeah you “can” set it up in ableton but it get’s old very quickly. At least I ended up finding better solutions (Mostly using hardware recording audio in to Ableton).

1 Like

Not really, once you have it setup, very easy to errr SAVE IT Mine is part of my default Live template. MPE is still in its infancy, and yes it will grow, but still smaller market for it currently. you can hardly blame Ableton for MPE being Niche. MPE was only officially ratified as part of the Midi protocol in January 2018.

1 Like

I thought MPE in Live was a pain in the arse to be honest. In the dark ages when compared to Bitwig (for example).

Barely touching Live these days. My Push 2 is gathering dust but reluctant to let go. In my use case, Push + MPE would be game changing though.

2 Likes

Same here :slight_smile:

1 Like

If they are developing MPE they’re certainly not doing it since January …

As for portability I think it’s important for many people. Yes Push isn’t big for what it does. But does everybody need 64 pads ? Personally I’ll take a bigger screen and less pads, I don’t know about you guys.

Didnt say that, I said MPE only became official in January, so will take time to filter through to mainstream usage. Lets face it, many people still have problem accepting USB Midi lol.

2 Likes

Agreed. I have it saved as part of my default, too. I’ve got Strobe2 and Equator separate in my template and muting one at a time gives me a lot of versatility. Quick mutes from Push2 and back to the Seaboard for jams. Now I want the new Cypher2 while it’s on sale.

Exactly, I have strobe2 as well, I got the full Equator in my bundle :slight_smile: