Wind controllers?

You could probably fire an email off to the dev as he’s pretty responsive. Might be a little longer response time with the holidays.

It’s been a while since I installed but check that you uninstalled the demo version before installing the retail and check that the track audio outputs are all setup.

Edit: Check that you have the NuRAD sending CC02 not Aftertouch. You have to send breath for this one and my guess is you don’t see anything other than the pitch bend moving.

1 Like

Yes, I also emailed the dev, but you were quicker! It was indeed the CC02 not Aftertouch issue.

1 Like

Not sure if breath controllers fit here, but has anyone tried AirMotion? Looks like a reasonably priced breath/motion controller, similar to the one that got delayed due to chip shortage (can’t remember the name), but the site looks super sketchy.

3 Likes

This is pretty cool. A 3-D printable DIY polyphonic wind controller, called the MIDILodica.
It has a grid of buttons on the body of the instrument for playing, plus a screen and buttons for setup.

I queued it to the playing at the end. The chord bend at the end is nice.

1 Like

Nice: a simple idea and compact. I’ve been wishing for a true digital melodica, though, with standard black-and-white keyboard layout like a melodica, but all digital so that you can control volume. The biggest con of a melodica is that they’re loud af.

2 Likes

They have also released a wireless version, looks quite tempting at $132. Still no actual reviews though.

I haven’t played with it but there’s a new iOS synthesizer app that is designed with wind controllers in mind:

This is by Robkoo who also make the R1 Wind Synth

Robkoo has just released on Kickstarter* a smaller wind controller, from their R1.

They call it the Clarii.

Instrument sounds built in. Small speaker built-in. Basic playable keys, with selectable layouts. Motion control. Bluetooth MIDI. Choice of colors. Inexpensive.

Crowdfunding thread link

1 Like

Might as well continue the discussion on the general wind controller thread:

At some point this weekend I’ll try getting it setup with polyphony using the multichannel approach I took with the XPresso and the Electra One recording of the noodling can be found here:

Qithesizer was mentioned above but I don’t think I’ve seen Mela mentioned

1 Like

Here’s where the fun begins. A quartet of Respiro voices selected randomly 2 at a time one to be the lead and one to be the drone in an EWI style hold every phrase.

3 Likes

If I’m not mistaken this can be done on both the AE-20 and 30? @adamc

In the editor this level of complexity isn’t exposed. More static harmonies and things like keysplits are though. There’s also intelligent harmony that does static harmonies in key which is only available on the AE30.

BUT I actually already ran through the MIDI channels it responds to yesterday (the implementation says 0-5). Parts 1-4 in the scene correspond to MIDI channels 1-4 like other Roland Zen Core synths. There’s no ability to change the RX channel but that’s enough.

To do this safely:

MIDI Control switch set to On
MIDI Ctrl Sounds set to Off (local off)
MIDI Ctrl BS set to Off (need to make sure we stay on same scene and don’t accidentally cause loops)
MIDI Ctrl PC set to Off (need to make sure we stay on same scene and don’t accidentally cause loops)

And it should work sending from the Aerophone and coming back processed into it but I haven’t tried that yet so this is all preliminary investigation.

I did have my Circuit Tracks able to play all 4 parts as a quick check and you can set the part MIDI RX to have breath and other controllers turned off if you want one independent of what you are playing for say a sequencer (though I spent all of 20min yesterday scoping it out so I haven’t tested)

All these parts can play polyphonically too and there’s full blown Roland drum kits in there. The Aerophone is essentially one zone of a Fantom (and like half an Integra for SuperNATURAL) with tons of performance controllers.

I also order a Synthstrom Deluge to play around a bit with some of this craziness I’m unlocking using the Electra One.

1 Like

Zen Flute – Describe as a “mouth Theremin”.

I must say, the audio of this is the best sounding simulation of a real instrument i have ever heard. Sounds like a Native American flute for real. Usually electronic wind synths trying to sound “real” has no interest for me, but not in this case. Would be interested in the MIDI this generates as well.

Inexpensive and open source.

1 Like

Meh, the VL-70m is still yet to beat.

Does anyone use a foot controller with their wind controller ?

I would like to trigger midi clips and loops while I play the Sylphyo.

The Behringer FCB1010 second hand is quite cheap.

There’s also these kind of things, quite expensive though :

Which one would you recommend ?

I hated the FCB1010 with a passion, by far the least intuitive setup mechanism.

I’ve got a MIDI Captain that I’ve setup to do some basic CCs when I need it to but I couldn’t really speak too much to it as I dont use it a lot.

1 Like

Thanks I didn’t know this one, it might be a good candidate for me.

It’s also small, the FCB1010 is huge.

1 Like

There’s a wind synth community event going on today for Nyle Steiner’s birthday:

Recording of stuff so far:

Current live stream

I haven’t been following it too closely, just took a couple looks at times today.