Electra one - programmable midi (CC, SysEx, NRPN) controller

IIRC that envelope changes positions for the points and if you open it up there’s a 4 part dial you can use to fiddle with each part of the curve.

3 Likes

Exactly. You can also use four different knobs for the A-D-S-R so you don’t need to access the ADSR first to modulate the four factors. When you do this, you see the same envelope curve four times, with its shape updated in the four cases in real time.

EDIT: like this (screenshot from the lovely preset editor).

3 Likes

Been eying Electra One for a while and just ordered it. It will replace a Faderfox PC12. The Faderfox not having infinite pots plus not having visual representation of the parameters had to go. Hope it’s the right decision.

2 Likes

Electra One seems like a great fit for synths with not enough physical controls like Blofeld and not just to control virtual synths.

What other hardware synths did Electra One make a huge difference in your workflow?

1 Like

Expert Sleepers modules, IOLabs Flux and also Nord Drum 2 were really great to program with the E1

4 Likes

Just wanted to say I am loving the electra one mk2. Had it for a a little bit now and really, really like the ableton script, and found it really nice for synths like the typhon, buzzzy, and LXR-02… pretty much anything that doesn’t have it’s own VST/max controller. Great build quality too!! Picture from my little vacation setup from a few weeks ago

8 Likes

I’m heavily considering pre-ordering the new batch.

Am I correct that you cannot program multiple midi commands per function? It’s one thing at a time/knob? No macros, basically?

The editor looks great!

1 Like

for basic controls this is true…
however, you can also add (Lua) scripts, these could perform multiple actions based on a single encoder… and all sort of other mode ‘advanced’ features.

note: these scripts are basically extensions to the controls you place with the editor, so for many, you might just add a very small snippet of a script to do the ‘extras’.

even more advance usage, the firmware is open source, so you can entirely replace the ‘controller’ app - with something entirely ‘custom’ - this is pretty cool, even the hardware itself is very interesting for many ‘applications’ given is controls/touch screen and io capabilities.

7 Likes

Thank you! Digging into Lua!

I think this thing is right in line with my use cases.

3 Likes

It’s really nice having a programmatic callback interface with most of the heavy lifting already done.

371124726_328173236308788_7318204565303596372_n

This for instance is me making my monophonic wind controller have a drone an octave below (g3) the starting note (g4) that last through the full phrase.

I also de-legato’ed the phrase so the notes are all disconnected and retrigged each time.

I’m mostly playing around with it whenever I feel like tinkering a bit or I get an idea I want to try.

4 Likes

Some noodling using the the Electra One to do some EWI style holds over two MIDI channels on my XPresso to get two different timbres going at once. Still some kinks to work out with the different parts of the chain.

2 Likes

The E1 graphical interface is going to a new level that will allow preset developers to create custom controls:

11 Likes

Woah, cool!

1 Like

Now released:

The highlights include:

• Added the ability to create custom controls with their own graphics and touch processing. Examples on how to use this feature will be provided shortly.
  • Improved USB host functionality. Two devices can now be connected simultaneously using the USB hub. This update has been tested with various USB MIDI devices and hubs. If your device is not recognized or if you encounter any issues, please let us know.
  • Enhanced LCD touch sensitivity and smoothness.
  • Numerous bug fixes and improvements.
4 Likes

I think many of these upgrades apply to the Mk I too. Just not the processing ability to run massive presets and other memory benefits …

Electra Mini in the works, and maybe we see a prototype at Superbooth:

4 Likes

Since I mostly was focusing on the on the fly processing experiments and barely using the GUI, that small one provided it has the same sort of compute as the MKII would have worked well.

I like my MKII when I get the inkling to do some MIDI programming projects but that’s largely limited by how much I feel like doing more coding after work, which hasn’t been too much lately.

A few more details about the Mini on Electra 1/2 - suggestion for a smaller, perhaps updated version - #16 by martin - Ideas / Feature requests - Electra One Community, and this pic:

6 Likes

I’ve been eyeing off an Electra One Mk2 for a while but haven’t gone deep into its capabilities.

I think I grasp it at its basic level of being able to load and create presets to control other midi devices, but then it is also open and you can go as deep as your capability allows.

Does anyone know a good video that kind of goes through a day one getting started kind of overview? I found stuff on specific uses but nothing more general.

I think my head has been turned a bit by the Digitakt 2’s midi capabilities. From what I understand it could have gone in a pattern 16 different midi synth presets loaded each with access to 16 cc on encoders, midi learn, and the ability to sequence the cc messages.

For someone who at a basic level just wants to have access to synth or fx pedal parameters via midi in a single box, is there anything crucial in the Electra One that I would be missing?

Hello,
FYI, I did a bunch of E1 presets for Elektron’s gears. All with sysex request/response functionalities. Here are the links, so you can get an idea of what I am talking about:

Have a nice day.

5 Likes