Will you be able to use Digitakt as Audio Interface?

Quick question. When overbridge arrives will you be able to use Digitakt as an audio interface? More specifically will I be able to use it to record the monomachine into ableton or a daw on my iPad?

Yep :slight_smile:

Yes

Use Digitakt as a 2 in/2 out sound card (CoreAudio/ASIO/WDM)

Stream the eight internal tracks, external inputs, and main bus to separate DAW tracks (24 bit/48 kHz)

2 Likes

Fantastic.

I’m not sure you can use it as an audio interface with an iPad. Could someone confirm either way?

I highly doubt it. iOS needs a “class compliant” usb audio interface which means it’ll run without drivers. I’m pretty sure the DT will need drivers that are installed with OB…

3 Likes

It won’t sum the internal inputs to mono in a daw will it? I know it sums your samples into mono but I’m assuming if using as an interface and running a synth through it to record in ableton it would have to be stereo correct?

1 Like

I’m gonna guess your right and it will pull stereo from the inputs when used as an audio interface, it says 2 in/2 out so I imagine Left and Right would be your separate 2 ins… Nobody knows for sure what’s gonna happen though until it exists…

1 Like

I have heard it sums stereo input to mono?
Seems crazy to me?
Typically no response from Elektron at this point

It does but it seems like a computer would just see it as a regular soundcard, 2 inputs either dual mono or stereo pair. It feels to me less likely the summing would happen if used as a soundcard, but yeah who knows at this point…

1 Like

I’m sure the stereo element will be resolved in an update from now and OB release. It seems the inputs, currently, are intended strictly for sampling. I’m sure the running audio through issue will be expanded to stereo by then too

1 Like

That sounds completely possible. I didn’t even think about the idea that Digitakt could eventually support stereo through. That would give me another stereo input bringing my total to 4 stereo inputs without using a mixer: Octatrack(2), Digitakt(1), Virus TI(1) = 4 stereo inputs :smiley:

OT won’t be getting Overbridge as far as I know.

A shame not even audio over USB- those cables get messy

True. IMO OT is the box that needs it the most. So much of the magic from that box comes from jamming with the scenes. Even just one extra pair of stereo outs (hardware) would alleviate the issue, but I’ve adopted a zen attitude towards tracking the OT and just go stereo or occasionally stereo and dual mono

1 Like

My biggest anxiety(after the disappointment of not being able to get individual tracks out of it) is how much of a mess the OT gets when you have 8 cables going in and out of the machine

Been considering buying a used OT and not eat for a few weeks. One of the cuckoo-videos and the image of all those wires kind of reined in my GAS :smiley:

1 Like

I got 8 audio cables, 3 midi cables, and a USB cable coming out of mine :dizzy_face::robot:

I used to hate wiring it up, but now I just have a gig bag with all the cables I need and leave the studio stuff set up. When I get back from the gig it is easy to plug everything back in again because the cables are just laid out and still connected to their other ends

Moral of the story: patchbays are a godsend for your mental health in the studio

Yeah- when I was working with a mostly hardware setup I really should have invested in a patch bay. Small studio space with a very tight organization. Any time I got another piece of gear I’d have to strip everything down and rebuild. I think it took me 7 hours to work out the routing of midi and audio with a good machine reach.

But those days are gone andI’ve moved mostly ITB- and the resistance to computer music is slowly starting to fade away. :slight_smile:

I’ve always been doing stuff ITB but recently bought a DT, and now a minilogue. I love the DT, and the minilogue is nice and it’s fun to have som hands on tactile feeling. But since I started to try out hardware, I’ve actually gotten more GAS for an update to my laptop, bit low on cpu, and just getting some new midi controllers. But I keep tipping a bit in either direction :slight_smile:

1 Like