Will there be Octatrack MK3 anytime soon?

Don’t worry everyone, I just ordered an Octatrack MKII, so if there is going to be an updated look or MKIII, it’ll be announced soon.

25 Likes

A pair of ADAT outs would suffice.
No new protocol needed, just digital outs from the 80s that has been tried and tested and is still in use today.
No need to reinvent the wheel, especially when it was already traveling at the speed of light.

6 Likes

I’m guessing within the next 2 years there will be a Octatrack replacement…
the analog four just got the Octatrack arp scale features…
To me that’s a sign or hint that something new is coming…

…yesh!..

…ob became their biggest promise and turned into their biggest developer resources killer nightmare…and they will get rid of it as soon as possible…
streaming just audio is no big deal anymore, total vice versa control is nice to have but way too hard to keep contantly updated, with all it’s everchanging protocols it has to deal with from the outside end, they never can predict but always forced to cope with…again and again and again…and to outsource an audiodriver was a mistake they’ll also never do again…
final conclusion…some ob-ish look alike standalone recorder…and some daw integration plugin as simple and solid as possible…but hey…it’s a damned good looking piece of code…and remains a brilliant idea…

But this is why people like the flexibility of the octatrack. What if you’re running something into both ab and CD but you only want to record ab? Or just CD? or both? What if you recorded something from CD earlier and dont want to overwrite it, and now want to record something from AB?

5 Likes

I agree with lots of your points. But I highly doubt they will get rid of OB as soon as possible. For me, it was why I decided to get rid of OT and buy AR instead. It had teething problems during development but now that it’s here, I feel it’s a major selling point for their gear.

3 Likes

“No hope for the source code?”
Not sure what you mean by this?

This is precisely my fear, so I’m glad you’re here to take the hit…

2 Likes

Yep even for MKI/MKII I’d like 16 parts per bank!

6 Likes

It asks you where you would like to record from when you press record…it can still have inputs called AB CD etc…I mean get rid of the 3 different buttons…
And not have the record buffers take up track slots would like that to be in the record menu.

I’m not saying I know what is best, I just would like it to much clearer how to record and have it do some of the tasks for you… I don’t sample often but when I do I seem to forget how to do it

Isn’t the main man behind OT dead due some car accident years ago? And I guess thats something serious to consider.

You’re confusing the death of one of the original founders, Daniel Hansson whom tragically passed in 2007, development for the Octatrack started after his passing, so it couldn’t be him anyway.

2 Likes

How would you fix the problem of it asking where you would like to record from? If, hypothetically, I just wanted rec buffer 1 to record from AB, how would I go about that instead of using the current method?

rec buffers technically don’t take up track slots, actually. rec buffers are independent from the rest of the tracks…so hypothetically track 2 can play back rec buffer 1. But also as another question, how would you go about playing back a rec buffer without taking up a track slot?

I will agree with you the Octatrack isn’t crystal clear on how to record and have it do certain tasks. In fact, I have said multiple times on this very forum that the literal hardest part about the Octatrack is recording audio into it. It’s the one thing that still, to this day, I’m double checking my settings (all the gain stages, all the QRECs, everything) and I still have my fingers crossed…but they’re not as crossed as they used to be.

If it’s so elusive to you, I recommend just practicing. Dedicate a week or two to recording audio into the Octatrack frequently and diversely. Send MIDI data to a synth at 100BPM, record two bars of the synth in the Octa and get it to play back. Plug your phone into it and record a random sample of music, then cut off the ends and get it to fit in a nice loop. Set one track to record the master output of the Octa. Set another track to record a neighbor track that’s really just your external synth but stacked with FX…On and on. The list is endless. I agree–ironically, sampling is probably the most esoteric part of the DPS-1, but it’s because it sort of has to be esoteric in order to be as flexible as it is.

4 Likes

I don’t have it completely figured out to do a new way I’m just making it up as a go here :joy:
Yes making it flexible but easy to use is difficult,
I just would like recording all in one place including buffers and a bit easier…

I did spend a full day to learn it and got the hang of it, and was sampling for a few days…
I didn’t sample for a month and had to learn it again… and I’ve forget it a second time now…
Maybe that’s just me because I don’t use it often

Inspiring picture! OT is my main instrument, even if it is indeed perfectible…

I too prefer to be able to share Kits across Banks/Patterns. Getting rid of this Parts nonsense would be necessary IMO.

One of the biggest miss of OT mk2 is the lack of dedicated FILL button.

Transition trick is one of the things I like the OT for, but it’s a major pita to setup. Let’s get dedicated button as well.

I agree sampling should be more streamlined. Default 0-crossing detection at the start and end to avoid plops, overdub…

A biggest screen wouldn’t hurt :wink:
And I’d prefer more encoders (and plocks) than secondary menus.

A general delay/reverb is a good idea: I hate it when they’re suddenly cut by a mute. Mute should mute trigs, not tracks btw.

Delay CTRL should just be a mode that is available without using an FX slot.

Replace Master with FX track from the Analog series, with DT Compressor + Delay + Reverb. And the Stutter Fx of course.

Let MIDI tracks targeting internal tracks, would be nice to use these extra LFOs that are often left sleeping.

8 Likes

This will definitely happen. But it’s important to remember the Octatrack is an instrument. If you learn a scale on guitar one day, and then never play the scale again for a month, can you expect to still remember the scale? Whereas if you learn the scale and practice it for one or two weeks and commit it to muscle memory, a month or two later you may not have it 100%, but you’ll have it enough to get by.

1 Like

Man I agree with pretty much all of these! What would you like the added encoders to do? A master send/reverb would be ace, because I basically want a reverb or delay on every single track, leaving me just one other FX to choose from (filter? chorus? phaser? compressor? too hard to pick). Replacing master track with compressor, delay and verb is also a great idea for the same reasons. Though I’d opt to have the master track be four FX…Because a compressor, filter and verb and delay sound lovely.

1 Like

I agree, Octatrack is not my favourite because it’s missing overbridge and the newer workflow improvements, the analogs are my favourite elektrons…
and I use it much less recently… while it’s still great and indeed still capable, I just find it’s less intuitive…

The Elektron aspects of it are intuitive (copy/paste, parameter locks, etc.)…The Octatrack aspects not so much (again–recording audio).

But that’s the tradeoff. The Octatrack is truly the only instrument that does what it does. It’s been nearly ten years and arguably more intuitive, faster, more efficient samplers have entered the market, but they still don’t do Octatrack.

But hey if you’re not vibing with it then you’re not vibing with it. Sell it and buy a different Elektron :slight_smile: I think my friend has finally decided to sell his OT for an Ableton Push and I don’t blame him. Funny enough, he bought the Octa years before I did and encouraged me to get mine, but he doesn’t vibe with it like I do.

1 Like

Thanks for the correction. I did not know that but recon to read it somewhere a while back.

1 Like

I get what your saying, but at some point with practice you will get over that part of it. It’s up to you tho. I was frustrated for the first two years, but then something clicked and it became very, very intuitive. Before that point the OT had me sweatin. And like others have said, it’s an actual instrument, like a woodwind without the wood+samples. Coltrain Plockin with a bow on top. MK1 fo life homie.

2 Likes