Will there be an update for the Digitakt MKI?

Hi guys, now that the new Takt is out and everyone wants it, do you think Elektron will continue to update the Digitakt MK1 like they did with the Octatrack, Analog Rythm & Analog Keys?
Or even better, what if they’d offer an update programme like Polyend by replacing the whole board?
Anyway, curious to hear your thoughts.

5 Likes

Doubt they offer an update program, but I’m very cynical person in general. As for updating, I’m sure they will, their past track records shows they care unlike Polyend.

3 Likes

I hope for DT1 users that they will add at least lfo slew, rec quantize, which I was missing the most…

12 Likes

I hope some of the features which don’t depend on better hardware will. I’d love to see kit perform, but the lack of a hardware button for it might mean they wouldn’t do it.

I won’t feel hard down to if nothing is backported though, the Digitakt had a long run of good updates.

Elektron are usually pretty good about this so it would be really cool if they do maintain the DT1 - I think there are enough features on the 2 which clearly need the hardware (16 tracks, stereo, new fx etc) that will sell it regardless of if some features are also on DT1.

I know it’s a “new platform” but I suspect it’s a fork of the same base codebase so hopefully it wouldn’t be too impractical to bring some new features back.

8 Likes

Within bounds, yes.

It won’t get what it doesn’t have hardware support for, and it may not get all the software features it can’t run serviceably.

6 Likes

If they can add the ability to change audio tracks to midi OR this supposed 3-conditional layout to the DOG i will be over the moon(obviously don’t expect it though)

1 Like

I’ll be happy with my OG even if there are no further updates, and I won’t clamour for any. But if some little surprises come down the pipe in future, I will be grateful.

14 Likes

I’d like to see midi learn back ported.

15 Likes

I’m no expert, but it seems like there are a lot of DTII features that don’t require the expanded hardware- the new filters, master overdrive, prepare mutes, compressor and control all bypass, glissando, 3rd LFO, better pattern chaining, velocity trig mode, MIDI learn, MIDI macro controls, naming CCs.

I’m really curious to see what the OG might get- I agree that Elektron’s been amazing with firmware updates but I would understand if we only get a couple of those. I’m happy either way

9 Likes

maybe!

1 Like

Then you haven’t heard about the discussion years ago when the Digitakt developers mentioned that the processing power was already maxed out and the addition of a second LFO is pretty impossible.

Spoiler: they did add a 2nd LFO in the end, but I wouldn’t expect a 3rd, nor any of the other CPU-hogging things you mention, like the new filters and the overdrive. I think even Portamento is out of the question since it’s another layer of sample pitch manipulation, but who knows?

What I think will be added:

• Euclidean mode
  • MIDI naming (not sure if MIDI learning might work on the old DT)
  • some of the new icons on the interface
10 Likes

Happy to be wrong on this but likely most of these won’t happen due to Digitakt 1 CPUs already being close to their limit. Here is my theory:

the new filters - probably better models and thus more CPU needed
master overdrive - more CPU needed since it would have to be digital and run all the time
prepare mutes - could happen maybe
compressor and control all bypass - could happen maybe
glissando - cpu intensive for samples
3rd LFO - CPU intensive
better pattern chaining - song mode?
velocity trig mode - could be possible
MIDI learn - may be possible
MIDI macro controls - may be possible
naming CCs - may be possible

Euclidean mode: should be possible :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yeah the CPU limit stuff makes sense. Having the DT for years without ever expecting big new features like the compressor and song mode only to have them appear has made me believe that Elektron are wizards.

5 Likes

Kits performance, naming CCs and Euclidean mode would be amazing and confirm I absolutely don’t need a Digitakt 2. I could even consider buying a second Digitakt original :joy:

9 Likes

The more elektron devices i have/owned the more i hate the fact that some functions are only featured in some of them. For example i like different swing settings for each track but only M:S and M:C have it afaik.
Don’t get me wrong, i love my elektron machines and it makes sense for elektron to go this route because it’s good for business. But artistically i freakin hate it.

5 Likes

I’ve noticed that Digitakt is still listed on Elektron’s official webshop, it is also a part of the product „catalogue” on the website. It seems like they did not send it to pasture of the legacy product list (yet). I don’t have any hopes, but maybe one last round of updates is in store.

Anyway, I wish there was some kind of trade-in program, I just bought the Digi a couple of months ago :slight_smile: Well, at least the glow of the yellow screen gives me some comfort.

3 Likes

imagen

I understand CPU limitations but I truly hope they still care about MK1 users

4 Likes

If they do I imagine it will be some time away after Digi 2 market saturated

1 Like

I’m sure DTI wil get another update that will streamline the workflow a bit more but this will depend on how different DTI is compared to DTII. If it’s gonna cost Elektron a lot of time and money I don’t think they will. We clearly wont see any new features though that the DTII has such as new fx etc.

2 Likes

Yeah I wouldn’t hold my breath

3 Likes