Will there be a new M:C update?

And I gave you a bunch of quotes that indicate that there is no proof that it could be difficult.

Actually if we’re being factual, the fact that the syntakt was able to get the exact same machines (which sound exactly the same) as the m:c on a seemingly different structure shows that the process of porting existing machines to different hardwares is known and mastered.

Considering that m:c machines were ported to the syntakt, why would the reversed operation be difficult? they use the same CPU.

The shared machines use the exact same parameters, the syntakt even sports the “punch” compressor of the m:c, both products are also strictly monophonic.

The only difference is the m:c can do machine lock (which ess hinted at its structure being able to change dynamically) while the syntakt cannot.

It would have been sensible practice for the software architectures of M:C and Syntakt to be similar enough to ease the porting of machines and other features, and this probably has some beneficial effects on any potential attempt to go in the other direction. But just because something is technically possible doesn’t mean it’s going to get done.

4 Likes

I agree.

1 Like

Exactly, nothing show it would be difficult, and a lot is hinting at it being a process that is known/mastered.

Does not mean its going to be done, I don’t believe they will ever make a big update for the models, they might (or will if you trust their answer) do smaller firmware updates for little things like bugfix/pad sensitivity issues but that is all.

High likely yes. But not certain.

EDIT: I thought I saw earlier that @Ess was replying (and I welcome what ever reduction in uncertainty that might bring) but since that reply hasn’t shown up yet it’s either

• a very long reply
  • he’s got tired of the arguments and dropped the idea (Sorry @Ess if that’s what happened).
2 Likes

Why would they make it harder on themselves to port machines by creating widely different structures on the m:c and the syntakt? This makes 0 sense

1 Like

I was going to reply something funny but I changed my mind and went to lunch. Sorry for the suspense :sweat_smile:

18 Likes

For people not working in software/hardware or other project related work - the most obvious, smart, rational thing to do is not always the thing that gets done or decided on. It’s always fun in retrospect.

7 Likes

I just want to add that in the same way I have bought presets packages for the M:C in the past, I would buy any firmware that could expand this device in interesting ways.

And apparently I am not the only one.

because they have no intentions of ever porting the machines…?

4 Likes

It would be such an interesting concept to let customers buy new machines to add to their product firmwares!

I am not sure how easy that would be though.

You mean outside of them porting the 6 model cycles machines to the syntakt… Right?

of course.

as I posted yesterday… to me it makes no sense for Elektron to just give people access to tools within a machine they charge $400 for, instead of just leaving those in the machine they charge $1k for. so when they created machines for the ST, they didn’t have to worry about “how ever will we port these and give people free stuff on a machine they paid less for?” if they have no intention of ever doing that. if design decisions had to be made that necessitated that line in the sand of “we can’t port these to M:C if we do it this way” then so be it.

I’m not saying this absolutely happened. or that we’ll never get these machines on the M:C. I’m just not going with the “they would have never done this” point of view.

3 Likes

And it makes no sense to add this much improvment to an already best seller in the form of a free firmware update for the digitakt either… yet they did.

That is not the point, the point is that its obvious that the syntakt and the m:c share similiarities as they both sports the exact 6 machines down to their parameters/punch/being monophonic. Which means its very likely that if they were ever to want to backport the other digital machines created for the syntakt to the m:c it wouldnt be nearly as difficult as some people on this thread seem to imply it to be.

Because as a lot of people stated on this thread already, the majority of the other digital machines on the syntakt also use the 6 parameters you find on the m:c main interface and also use up to 4 oscillators…

Could it happen to be just a coincidence? For sure. But we know elektron like to reuse their ideas a lot across different hardwares , and the best way to make sure that this goes smoothly is to make sure the structures you share between the hardwares are not too different from one another.

1 Like

Yeah I have a pet theory that SD basic, CP vintage, and SY Toy started out as intended to be machines for the M:C. But I suspect that the sales of the model series meant that it didn’t make financial sense to pour updates into that platform. But they recognized that there is a lot of potential in those cycles machines and so designed the syntakt to be able to get a bit more out of what were some great ideas, but just maybe not the right market positioning.

5 Likes

This is starting to feel a lot like last week’s M:S thread

3 Likes

I’m just happy to be in the presence of so many experts.

(OK it’s just one in particular, really.)

6 Likes

I’ll be happy if I get another update but I didn’t buy mine to only start using it when it goes EOL and after another generation or so have been released.

Realistic expectations are needed here.

2 Likes

I hope this never, ever happens. Elektron has a stellar track record of free updates, asking people to pay for new machines would be a nail in the coffin of our beloved Swedish company.

7 Likes