Why is there no pattern/project management tool from Elektron?

Agreed. IMHO the most valuable part of the project is not the GUI, but reverse-engineering the file format, which must have taken a ton of time. Even if the code were total crap - which I’m sure it isn’t - being able to document the structure of the file format from the codebase would be a huge time saver. Implementing a new GUI and logic is not so much work for an experienced developer.

And I’m sure that @mzero would have found the time to polish the code and open source the project ages ago, had Elektron saved him that time by publishing and maintaining sysex documentation, as is good (but not common) industry practice. Why they don’t do that is beyond me, it’s not too much work, and enabling the community to build an ecosystem around your products beyond what you could have imagined or built yourself is never a bad idea.

Also, I prefer my data being mine, so open formats that enable me decode and reuse to the music I created long after I sold my device should not be a luxury, but common sense.

Or an experienced and motivated developer who steps up and bites the bullet, this happens way more often than you might imagine. And the complexity here is, as I explained above, not too frightening with all the excellent work that has already been done by @mzero

FWIW, I do most of my sequencing for my Elektron boxes in a Cirklon these days, and I only use patterns to store sounds, which gives me 64 “songs” per project. From time to time I make a backup and delete the “patches” I no longer need. That has simplified my workflow tremendously, and personally I appreciate having a much more capable sequencer more than the tight integration. And it’s so simple using trying out another device for any sound, which helps a lot with experimenting with sounds. But I understand how this would not be an option for a small setup.

1 Like

I can imagine :slight_smile: but my point was that some developers would consider their code something quite personal and maybe don’t want to just throw it online without taking care of making clear how it is build so the next person can take it further in a respectful way.

It’s all conjecture but this is not too far fetched I’d say. When I still worked in IT and would hand over a project I had worked on quite hard I made sure instructions were clear and everything was as cleaned up as possible. To me that’s the right way to do this. Heck, even if I ask someone to remix a track of mine I make sure everything is clearly labeled etc.

Saying it doesnt cost any energy to share the code is slightly disrespectful imho. It’s not up to us to determine how a developer open sources something even though there are developers that do throw stuff online without care.

7 Likes

Might also want to check ‘open source etiquettes’ on github. Like:

Just a few points that relate to this topic:

Never put pressure on an open-source project’s author if he is unavailable or too busy as that comes across as disrespectful and might discourage them from becoming available, especially given that they offer the project as a free service

Always provide examples (aka samples) of how to use your open-source project.

• Documentation is optional in an open-source project because software engineers can always read the source code directly and try out examples to understand how it works, assuming the project has well-factored code and contains examples (aka samples). However, putting the effort into providing documentation greatly increases the popularity of an open-source project, so when possible, do your best to document your open-source project.
7 Likes

There is currently a petition here …

1 Like

Ok, well seems I’m late to the party and this is old news, not to mention apparently frowned upon… oh well, I’ll get back to my finger painting.

A lot of unsolicited ‘extra’ pressure is being added to both Elektron and MZero, in both cases a substantial amount of interest has been declared already, and is therefore known, but the escalation tactics of creating petitions or (imho) artificially guilt-tripping a developer to do more work with a few measly coins (no matter how good the intention may seem) are starting to feel decidedly uncomfortable (to me) and could benefit from being evaluated from a different perspective as counterbalance to unbridled ‘enthusiasm’

15 Likes

Ok so now I’m again moving tracks between projects using c6 for the patterns and saving the sounds to sound pool then restoring them from there one by one after importing patterns. I am looking to find out if you then have replaced all samples and saved can you delete them from the soundpool?

Yes and also kit saving/loading for Rytm/A4 :grin:

I would be making kits all night long!

Chiming in to say it’s definitely hard work pulling patterns/kits between projects on the Digitakt and Digitone. If I have to do it, it tends to be when I’m “updating” the live set and making some big changes all in one go. When this happens, I typically make a copy of the previous version, then just delete all the stuff I don’t need to use, then re-shuffle everything using copy and paste. All of this is a bit of a PITA, but it does eventually get there.

The only other thing I can suggest doing is just re-doing everything and starting from the ground up. I’m about to bite the bullet with this approach at the minute and, though the prospects are super exciting, it’s likely going to be several days worth of work for a 30 minute set :crazy_face:

Signed! anything for project management and better kit loading/backup to pc sounds great! still to basic in overbridge…

1 Like

It is very crazy that we have OB, Elektron utility and so many things but still can’t export pattern from one project and add it to another…

It’s total shame… so on stage I have to switch projects like 3-4 times

Maybe it’s time to do smthn about it?

2 Likes

What exactly do you propose we do? Meet at the Elektron HQ and revolt? :joy:

3 Likes

Yes!

2 Likes

You can use sysex to export/import specific patterns. Yes, it’s a bit tedious but it works and is quicker and more reliable than copying single patterns between projects.

5 Likes

Would it be possible to write a program that does that sysex swapping thing automatically?

Do elektron devs read this forum?

1 Like

If you were an Elektron dev, would you read this forum?

I have this fantasy where, at lunchtime, it is someone’s job (assigned on a rotating basis) to collect the most amusing posts from the previous 24 hours, and read them out loud to amuse the collected diners in the lunchroom. But probably they just go outside and enjoy the sunshine and relax.

5 Likes

I would put money on the ones that get the biggest laughs would be those that include “It should be simple to code”.

6 Likes

Considering the current weather in Berlin or in Sweden, i’d say they have time to watch the forum :wink:

2 Likes

Jokes intended but “this is the way” if you really about it. You could bounce the stwms and trigger stems maybe?

would be nice, but we don’t, I have to go writing stuff down on papers is tedious has been the only way to do the long task unfortunately

3 Likes