Why is there no pattern/project management tool from Elektron?

The Digitakt and also the digitone desperately needs a way to organize/manage your patterns in and between projects.

This is like a giganticly missing essential feature.

We had elk-herd by @mzero , but this hasnt got updated to the new firmwares and is not useable anymore. I think mzero got too much life stress to do so.
And we shouldnt have to rely on a private user to help us out here, this feature is urgently needed, elektron really misses out bigly here.

What do you think?

11 Likes

Every digitakt and digitone Iā€™ve owned worked perfectly well without this feature.

13 Likes

Itā€™s a workflow choice.

Some people will gel with it, others will move on, and thatā€™s OK :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So how do u guys do it when preparing a liveset with it?

1 Like

Someone can cope with jokes like this, so I had to change this:

You donā€™t need no liveset in your bedroom. Wife already tells you to put your headphones on.

Into this:

You need a liveset in your bedroom. Your wife loves your music.

writing on a piece of paper helps

4 Likes

All the tools I need to prepare a liveset are already there.

I can save, name and organise projects, I can save, name, copy/paste and organise patterns, sounds and/or samples within those patterns, which I can then chain or arrange via song mode or just switch about manually or via PC messages.

Most of the Elektron boxes are, more than anything else designed specifically for live performance, with or without the aid of a laptop and it is an areas within which they excel.

5 Likes

I agree with the OP.

Iā€™m a guitar player and i can remember full structures but it needs months of practice and if I donā€™t play the tunes for a while, itā€™s all gone. Most of the times itā€™s impossible to write all down (I tried), like a simple stop, break, your part, my partā€¦ Unless you play pop music with 4 chords all along.

Definitely not. The lack of samples/patterns/Parts management on the OT is ridiculous. No way to transfer Banks across projects without having to go thru a mental depression, no way to name patterns, the need of a laptop to reorganize/delete/rename stuffā€¦

On the OT, weā€™re all suspended to @Rusty moves since years to be able to (re)organize a live set. Depending on the genre you make, thatā€™s is crucial when you just wanna add/remove a song/track to your live set.

Iā€™m usually really stubborn/commited to what i do and for years I was eager to stay DAWless with the OT but I accept defeat and slowly shifting to Ableton these days just to be able to name my material and be able to reorganize it at will without wondering where is what and having to note samples names, slot numbers, P-locks, etc. just to transfer a trackā€¦

11 Likes

Most of the times itā€™s impossible to write all down

For guitar this would easily be just sheet music with notes.

Writing things down is like the easiest way to guarantee you will remember how you wanted certain things to be played. Coming from playing various keyboards live over the years, sheet music + part notes is simple and effective.

2 Likes

Some things are more difficult (or maybe impossible) to write down in standard notation, sure, but thatā€™s where taking notes and practicing frequently come in.

1 Like

Huh? Am i taking crazypills here?
Have you guys ever prepared/played livesets?

Ok, suppose you have a liveset project full with patterns in every bank.

Suppose you managed to arrange the patterns right so they are in the right order for when you play your liveset.
(u either magically created this from the beginning of working in that project or rearranged everything painstakely later on by copypasting and clicking through the banks)

Now some months pass by, you created other patterns in other projects.

Now for your next liveact you want to use this certain 3 patterns from that other project, 5 patterns again from another and 20 patterns from again an other project.

Now what do you do?

Please enlighten me oh wizards of the elektrons, how are you handling this?
I mean it literally, how do u do it??

I first have to go in my liveset project, go to the spot where i want to insert my track (couple of patterns) have to free up the space by copypasting every single pattern in the chain to a later spot, then load the other work project, copy 1 pattern , write down on a sheet of paper all the used samples, load the liveset project where i want to have it, paste the pattern there, take my sheet of paper and search for all the fukin samples and reintroduce them, then continue the process, load the work project up copy the next patternā€¦

Come on are u telling me this shall be normal? Are u even really calling this ā€œworkflowā€ with a straight face?

24 Likes

Writing music is another job than being a musician. It asks skills you donā€™t really need to work as a pro musician. And indeed, western notation is outdated in many ways. For instance, my main non electronic project is with a looper and iā€™d rather spend ages to practice rather than inventing a notation to remember which pedal, guitar pickup, technique i have to use for loop 1 when i have like 12 different loops with stops and stacks to do for a single song.
Itā€™s might be more convenient for traditional playing, especially for piano/keyboard players who are use to learn their instrument that way.

Weā€™re getting a bit off topic though :wink:

The same way, if you do basic techno beats with your Elektron gear, i get itā€™s convenient the way it is, especially when making a track doesnā€™t take you more than 3 days. Thatā€™s rarely the case with an instrument/band setup and some folks would make better use of their time to make music rather than spending hours finding workarounds for the lack of basic tools to manage samplesā€¦ on a sampler!

Chill :wink:

Remember the huge majority of folks here are not going live, itā€™s a hobby for them, they donā€™t have to handle the stress of having to cope with unfinished hardware tools for their job.

For what is worth, this may help some moving forward.

One day when I was a kid I asked my dad why street addresses skip numbers. For example if a house is 120 Main Road, the next house over would be 122 or 124 Main Road. He told me that it is because the city needs to make room between addresses in the event that new addresses need to be added, for example if behind 120 Main Road, a new house is built and it needs to be assigned a number between 120 and 124. This was later confirmed by a city planner in a quick social conversation later in adulthood.

Since the MD, MnM, and OT lack any flexible project management tools in comparison to a DAW, what Iā€™ve been for years is, in the context of the MD and MnM, creates kits and patterns with some number of slots apart. For example, if I make a pattern in A01, then I make the next pattern in A04. If the pattern is significantly different from A01, it stays where it is at. If it is just a variation, then I move it to A02, or maybe just keep it where it is at and just consciously work on variations in A02 and A03.

I think the general idea is that it is easier to fill in space than to make space.

Also, I keep notes of things I do with hardware, again, document, document, document, note, note, and note, label, label, and label.

8 Likes

I donā€™t understand your point and what it has to see with how to copy a pattern/bank/part across projects.

Also try to practice something after years, finding back your notes, with an instrument in your hands, a foot controller/looper and devices on the desk and youā€™ll see thereā€™s always something your forgot to note correctly and you end up giving up with the damned notes :wink:

Hmmm. I guess I needed to be more explicit and say that my post was a suggestion, a tip, something to consider, and not a ā€œpointā€ per se. Iā€™m not sure how that couldā€™ve been interpreted otherwise.

I see your point about finding old notes and piecing together stuff from years back. I think that outside of a DAW, that is a thing we all experience at some capacity regardless of whether a management tool is offered or not, or regardless of how good at managing things one can be.

Sorry, iā€™m not an english native speaker, i must have missed the background intention :wink:

Is it?
I manage totally fine without it.
Albums, live gigs. No problem.

2 Likes

All good :slight_smile:

The OP is correct. Itā€™s quite pathetic that Elektron hasnā€™t done better in regards to project management with the digitakt. Yes, like some of the others here, I gig often with my digitakt and think it strikes a wonderful chord of convenience. However, I essentially come up with an entire new set every time due to the frustrating nature of trying to use older sequences from other projects. Elk herd was/is great; Iā€™m shocked Elektron (you know, the actual company that makes the digitakt) hasnā€™t come out with comparable software. Fans will always be quick to tell you how theyā€™re able do x, y, and z without song mode, midi arps, etc. However, ā€œYou can drive a car with your feet, butā€¦ā€ With that being said, I really enjoy the digitakt and Iā€™m thoroughly impressed with all of the updates. A better project management system is long overdue.

7 Likes

Iā€™m clearly not following what is the issue, wouldnā€™t song mode fix the issue of not remembering patterns and banks?

Grody!

2 Likes