Why is the op-1 seemingly the only thing in its category?

honestly the op-1 in concept is rad but it can definitely be argued that its limitations are rife and its build is questionable. i’m not really looking for people to tell me how great it is before we get to that, but with its popularity why is it the only thing in its format? its not exactly a new device. id love to see a better op-1 or even an op-1 style midi keyboard would be sweet. just wondering if anything else even exists in this area. I want something like it to use with my ipad but the cost just isnt worth it to me at all

3 Likes

If you only want to use it as a midi keyboard then yeah no point getting an OP1, keystep is a much better buy

3 Likes

Another close but not quite is the Organelle

1 Like

oh yeah of course, I did have an op-1 but I wasnt into the synths and the sampler had a 6 second limit etc etc so I sold it. keystep looks a bit big. that elz_1 is definitely closer to what I was thinking, could be quite nice. @selfup organelle is a good suggestion too, ill look into it.

was thinking and if I was gonna go for just a controller kordbot looks good too in this sort of format. I wonder if anyone will go for the whole mini workstation thing again anytime soon

1 Like

If I was selling my OP-1, I think I’d try a Deluge.

OT is a good competitor, if you don’t mind the lack of portability or are ok with bringing an external battery.

2 Likes

As @LyingDalai said probably Deluge is conceptually closest, if not in form factor, I suppose it depends on what aspects of the OP-1 you are referring to though.

But really as a whole OP-1 is unique I think and it’s limitations and functions make it what it is, any of its parts in isolation aren’t particularly unique but the way it all works together is, IMHO.

I would love to see a slightly more “pro” version of OP-1 but I don’t think TE would ever make one, it doesn’t seem to be their focus.

For me the main appeal of the OP-1 is the tape and the way it is integral to the whole machine, lifting and dropping, cutting up and tape tricks. I wish it had 8 tracks, more outputs, better and more sync options, better and more fx, multiple undo and waveform editing. If someone made a machine like that I’d be really into it.

3 Likes

Imagine an OP-1 crossed with the OP-Z. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Imagine an OP-1 crossed with the *OT :exploding_head:

(FTFY)

5 Likes

me too. 4 is very limiting. On any machine

I don’t mind 4 tracks that much, I have learned to work with such limitation.
It’s the mono recording that bothers me most, I believe… This and the sequencers, that you can’t play in parallel.

1 Like

This is totally what I’d like to see. Like I said conceptually it’s amazing but it just needs a bit more juice. Deluge and OT lack the size to compete in this area for me, I’d love to see more small stuff without skimping so much on power. I think economy of scale factors into it though. Maybe a few years down the line companies will be able to afford small runs of more powerful electronics. But yeah anyway a lot of times I use the OT as a weird tape recorder. The op-1 way is a lot of fun once you settle with it a bit. Imagine if it’s parts were more standout individually, combined it would be another level entirely