Why is Elektron soo bad at Pads

Question still stands, though. Why do them at all if you can’t do them well? I used to have a Rytm and used an external midi drum pad to trigger them. How silly is that?

8 Likes

I think it may be due to this, precisely. I like to fingerdrum the trigs to make techno.

3 Likes

On the Models, I see them as velocity sensitive buttons. Electribe style.
And in this regard, they’re just as good.

But yea, the fact that it is less important to a lot of people probably contributes to what we’re getting.

3 Likes

Seems like Elektron is trying to reach a broader audience so I’m surprised they wouldn’t want to improve the pads since making beats is what most people are doing when they get into electronic music right now.

3 Likes

Or it’s the other way round. If you build it, they will come…

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure rytm has velocity settings so when you barley tap the pad the analog machine or sample is quieter with tapping very hard making it louder , it’s the same on the electribe ER1 drum machine. so making the pads hit full velocity or full accent works very well for MPC style finger drumming , it’s the same shit on my ableton push 1 and that’s made by akai …

Also merger alert , get your questions answered here for rytm velocity ->

1 Like

you would’ve thought after four machines there would be some progress…

Why do they keep including them?

5 Likes

Doesn’t Elektron have an office in Berlin? They should catch a cab to Native Instruments’ office and steal their pads.

10 Likes

so many companies fail at pads.
rytm1 was a horrible pad experience

who gets it right so far?
akai, ni, ableton and lately novation

1 Like

Yeah, the pads are strangely pretty bad. My impression of the M:C pads was better than my ARMk2. The AR pads seem to improve a lot with time though. I’ve had mine for over 2 years now and in that time the MK2 pads have improved a lot.

1 Like

My ari has too.

IME the elektron pads start their life stiff af, but loosen up in about 3-5 years of use to a level I can personally live with. But YMMV and all that.

3 Likes

i actually really like the pads on the M:C!

i think they’re great

They’re not that bad if you’re not into finger drumming that was point

Surprisingly even Pesonus get it pretty right with their drum pads. They’re not Maschine pads but are worlds better than anything else in the price range.

They are pads on a drum machine… I get what you’re saying but it’s a drum. You literally hit them. Seems obvious they were designed to drum on and they are not good for that so it’s a poor design.

5 Likes

I’ve wondered this as well. Maybe it’s more of a live-use consideration? Do people tend to hit pads harder in the heat of live performance?

1 Like

I think they simply didn´t pick up the right provider ´cause they didn´t give them that importance. To me is a mistake, they could have brought other kind of customers.

5 Likes

Really comes down to personal preference. I think the Rytm MKII pads are perfect. But can see how people would want them to be more sensitive. Would be best if there was some sensitivity config to tune to taste. (There’s velocity config, but sensitivity to even trigger would be best).

1 Like

Korg’s padKONTROL (the old gray ones) is still great to this day (and has MIDI DIN, XY pad, etc). Maschine MK3 pads are more sensitive though, but I do like the rebound/feel of the Korg’s better. Presonus Atom’s are okay but I got double-triggering from them and they felt a little less sensitive than the Korg pads. Love the small form factor though of the entire unit. Launchpad X and Pro MK3 are great but the pads themselves are too small for me. Haven’t tried the Akai’s but I hear the MPC Live/X pads are great and the MPDs are not.

4 Likes