Why i Prefer Synths that have the interface facing you

This is a great way of narrowing down GAS. The Moogs like the Model D have it. The famous Korg MS20. The latest Sequential Pro (AT A PREMIUM).

When the knobs are facing you perpendicular to the keyboard it just seems easier and more fun to use. Anybody else in this camp?

5 Likes

A musician’s skill is defined by their relationship with the instrument they use.
A good instrument facilitates ergonomic and creative use by the musician.
I completely agree that an interface that can be used creatively and ergonomically is key to an instrument’s quality and its relationship with the musician using it.
I believe many of the instruments being designed today are too focused on capitalistic goals Instead of furthering the relationship between a person’s physical manipulation of an object, and the reaction of that object that creates the sound.

more ergonomics! more physical dependency between player and sound!

3 Likes

Keyboard?

What’s one of them?

3 Likes

It’s the thing you’re typing on, no? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Fruity loops qwerty ninja!

3 Likes

So funny you say that because I just boxed up my Yamaha Reface CS because I’m not using it lately. It was the only keyboard I had it my setup.

I did previously have my Reface sending midi to my Virus C, which sits at an upright angle. The 2 looked similar to an ms20 setup. I do like the ergonomics of that type of setup, but it’s no deal breaker for me. I use my Digitone to sequence notes and play them in live, it lays completely flat. Pushing in the Elektron encoders may be better suited to laying flat then at an angle, but I’ve only tried them flat, therefore I’m only speculating.

1 Like

I have side cheeks on my OT, because it just wasn’t comfortable working with it flat on the desk and prefer it this way. Pushing and turning encoders actually is easier for me on the angled OT compared to my AK next to it^^

Should build a small angled shelf for my AK…

3 Likes

Here’s a couple for your gas list :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

forward slanted stand ( tiered ) has been of great help for me helped my back a lot.

Probably better for your neck too. I sit when making music, so having instruments lay flat might be doing my neck in. Maybe time to pickup another one of these.

2 Likes

Sequential Pro 3 Special Edition :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

I wasn’t enamoured when I first saw it but yeah, it’s really grown on me!

Add the MatrixBrute to the list too. Just watch your fingers when dropping that panel back down!

1 Like

Sitting down - slanted
Standing up - flat

That’s my jam

1 Like

I like the Boutiques for that (if used with the keyboard).

Of course there are so many stands out there that it shouldn’t be a problem to get a synth that to face you, assuming it doesn’t have a keyboard attached.

2 Likes

Pffff. I turn all my synths round the other way so I cant see the interface at all ‘ftw’

3 Likes

I turn mine around when I break it to them that it’s time to sell them. Can’t bear to look them in the face.

2 Likes

Put them in the naughty corner and turn your back on them. that’ll show em.

2 Likes

As an offshoot, how about boxes that print info across their back panel upside down, so that when you lean over to to adjust something, you can tell wtf is going on? Also: MIDI DIN jacks that are oriented with the pins on the bottom so that when you go to plug in a cable, the plug’s indicator is facing you, and you can align it with no effort. I have some essential stuff from a manufacturer who orients the MIDI jacks at a 45 degree angle, a source of endless fun in a dark room.

what is that second synth?

Crumar Digital Synthesizer DS2 (1978)

1 Like