Why i Prefer Synths that have the interface facing you

Bit of a Crumar fan over here🙂

I’ve not got the DS but I have got 2 DP50’s, a DP80, 2 Trilogy’s, a Bit99 and a Multiman. All interesting and quirky in their own ways.

I had a bit of a thing for collecting those vintage divide down gems from the Adriatic Coast at one time. Elex, Elka, Logan etc. Pick of the stringer bunch is the Godwin SC 749. Knocks spots off the Solina, both in terms of sound and functionality IMO.

1 Like

Thinking about this … and having a couple of faceplates in “vertical” position … I would say … yes … and there seems to be a reason, why many of us use stands for desktop units, which tilt the surface … :wink:

They have the Godwin in my Nord Stage 3 library. I’m in the Lamda camp for stings or the Trident. But they are all special. Crumar were bought out and are still going as an electrical piano.

1 Like

Laptops have this facing you interface that you love. (Troll and run)

1 Like

Yeah I’ve seen those new Crumar’s. Lambda strings are lovely too. I was using mine last week for some string parts…which then led to some pad sounds etc etc! Another great synth.

ever tried using a keyboard stand and tilting the synths towards you?

I’m actually the opposite. Seems hard on my hands to have things at too much of an angle. Related, never able to understand using various Elektron boxes at extreme angles.

Some title is required though - the Alesis Ion has a flat front and it does some odd things with your mind when programming it for a long time. Starts to look very odd…

2 Likes

You can’t do that as the keyboard would be tilted as well which is the point of the question. Sitting down its far easier for me to play hands facing down not an an angle. I think you overlooked this point :slight_smile:

well I was just being a smart ass :crazy_face:

here’s another you might like:

1 Like

A nice one. :slight_smile:

I think it depends on if you create standing or sitting. Doing sound design & more detailed work, I mainly sit, I’m sure most of us do… so yea, I love using my ms-20 mini when sitting & I have my Maschine Mk3 on a drum stand so it tilts facing me when sitting (I use it for mixing). But when I create my ideas I like to jam & prefer to stand so I like my gear flat on the table.

1 Like

That’s one of the reason why I prefer desktop modules: create your stand yourself and reach the perfect angle.
Also, I like one to rule them all.

1 Like

yea exactly, same here & it’s not too difficult to adjust the angle of your gear so it works for you, I used to use garbage pail kids cards, would put 2 stacks on each of the back corner to tilt my gear

Interesting Thread! I prefer the slightly tilted interface, because it feels weird to press buttons or place trigs.
Of course looking down all the time is bad for the neckm

this is like an anti-Analog Keys thread

2 Likes

Heh, I use the IKEA Brad’s stand under the Analog Keys to give it some tilt.

2 Likes

Ah, nice. Gonna give that a try^^ :upside_down_face:

It works, slots in right under the AK, and between the rubber feet. The result is the stand is practically invisible.
No complaints.

4 Likes