Why buy an A4 MKII and not just a MKI? (your advice please : )

Oh, I never knew that. I’ll be taking another listen to the mk2 for sure.

Yeah it Makes the whole Sound a tad fuller. Not Sure how to achieve this with the Mk1. Some PPL prefer though the Mk1 darker Sound.

1 Like

What I’ve been wondering is, the mk I A4 often has this politeness to its sound which is hard to escape. This makes the A4 tricky to use for aggressive sounds. Is this same politeness also present on the mk II?

I own an A4, and I love it, but if I were going to buy another one now, I’d def go for an A42. Better buttons, better screen, and individual outs.

Here’s some of Simon’s thoughts… I believe any instrument can sound better to someone than another, so I think the MK1 sounds great and has its own sound to certainly be appreciated and possibly preferred over MK2, but I always appreciate Simon’s input…

6 Likes

Yes. If you want less politeness…i have a Korg MS20M Up for Sale…EU area…:slight_smile:

There are two a4mk1’s on seattle craigslist for $630 usd vs $1350 usd plus taxes for a new one.
If I were in Seattle or any other city offering a used a4mk1 I would,
~ Buy them both for the cost of one mk2
~ Buy one and get a cv controlled monosynth with a vco
~ Buy one and take a week off work and make tunes.

2 Likes

Audio comparison at 7m45s

@cuckoomusic add a correcting comment about filter 2, unchanged.
I wish I could hear more higher register differences with less resonance…

Still too big for me !

Saw that one, didn’t convince me enough for a MKII. But the jury is still out!

if u get a mk1 you wont miss a thing and u ll be a happy camper for years to come.

1 Like

i ran 2x A4 mki for a while … did not like it.

I dont think its designed to be an a8

hard to put my finger on it and explain, it just wasnt.

tried twice, also with a4ak … naah… a4 is as good as it gets.

plus … I was running all 4 tracks, and 1 sh101 and another synth through the inputs once. hence I fully used the A4 to its teeth.

hmmm why did I write the last sentence? i dont know : D

I have a MkII recently used the new style overdrive on a bassy track that swells up. Gotta say it sounds really nice in the mix. Still finishing that song up, or else I’d post here. I’m also of the camp that just finds the overall look of the MkII’s more attractive. The small lcd screen of the MkI kept me from going for it, though I’ve always enjoyed its sound. So I was pleased when the mkII was released and took care of that concern

2 Likes

Local second hand MkI for US$1,100… I love living in a gear wasteland :expressionless:

Between the tumbleweeds, and being poor, sure is a good cure for gas :slight_smile:

3 Likes

German eBay Kleinanzeigen, mkI between 700€ and 850€.

I got one for €675 in kleinanzeigen yesterday :ok_hand:

4 Likes

I really like the sound of the new overdrive n filter, n the new screen et buttons seem a pleasure to use, but the mk2 is way too large for my liking so I don’t see myself ever upgrading. If it was the same size as mk1 id have upgraded for sure.

If you made your choice for the mk2 would you regret not going for the mk1? If it’s only the price i still go for the mk2.

For me its not only the money. Most of the time, I’m jamming on the couch in my living room (where my monitors are), so size is also an issue. And Overbridge-integration, as I mentioned before, but from what I saw from youtube-vids the MKI with Overbridge would suffice.

In general I am always tempted to buy the newest stuff, but I am really torn between the two now. Tried out the MKII already at a local store (fairly big, but really love it), now trying to find a local seller of a MKI to try that one out.

For me the main form factor problem is the integration with my other Elektron gear. With only one, I’d may prefer MKII, which seems sounding better to my ears. No problem for couch.
Same weight.

But not same size :wink: