Who's in love with constantly re-shuffling their studio?

I just got a mio 10. Took me a while to figure out the software side but now it’s set-up it is spot on.

after two months of shuffling gear on a single round table … one drum machine one synth one bass, pair of genelecs and a few pedals … i seem to have found an enjoyable placement for most items.

hope to include a two-track mixer to preview sounds from the machinedrum.

i keep a macbook hidden to the right of the table with the tm-1 ready to roll, for the one single purpose of transporting samples over to the md sample manager every so often.

trying to imagine playing a gig and so going for minimal gear, one table, with maximal sound

While I am not in love with moving gear around I am currently planning on a new setup for this summer. Starting a new or with a slightly optimized way of doing things is always good.

1 Like

In my house currently my shit is as follows:

Attic studio, most fo my gear, mixer, mpc1000, lots of micro boxes (acid8, etc) and korg elektribes + virus indego and Analog Keys + some guitars amps etc

Back office/Gaming room: Analog Four hooked up to Toraiz sp16 (this is what I’m using mostly at the moment)

TV Room: Analog Rytm and Korg Electribe EMX2 sitting on my coffee table for when I’m not playing my PS4 :slight_smile:

Bachelor pad extraordinaire or you have a wife that just loves to hear you make music!

Never getting married, I have several girlfriends though. Hate the game not the playa :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I find it very relaxing cabling up the studio, almost meditative. I like the concentration and the methodical approach.
It’s because of this that I dismantle my set up almost daily!
I use my units like a modular, I only rig up what I want in order to do what I need, hate having it set up as it dictates my approach too much. Getting it ready is like the foreplay and then I’m really ready to bang some tracks out!
Likewise I totally strip my modular down after use, extremely rare to leave it patched overnight…
I like just taking a couple of units into another room for a laugh too, after learning my cousin has a 606 in his toilet!

2 Likes

So that’s what people did before iPads?

4 Likes

At my cousin’s a couple of weeks back I could see a Roland Cube inside the downstairs toilet, before I could finish my question that started ‘why the f is there a…’ he pushed the door to reveal his 606 hooked up!
‘These tiles really make the hats shimmer’.
‘Don’t worry it’s clean’.

1 Like

Don’t trust him! Noooooo! :poop:

This has actually been a guitarist recording trick for a long time. Never heard of a drum machine being used in this way. He is a true recording arts pioneer. I can picture the future rockumentary film clip now.

1 Like

Keep smelling my fingers after programming a beat!

1 Like

I wouldn’t say I’m in love with it…

I too love building “rigs”. Certain equipment inspires one to approach things differently, and gives new results. One day its three pocket operators and a 303, one day its rytm only, one day its volca sample and wavestation through the karp ody filter… etc etc polygearamorous ftw

1 Like

Ive recently rejigged my little setup to be more hardware friendy. I mainly jam out ideas live on the hardware boxes but i had the AR and OT physically distant from the AK and P6 which was a real pain in the arse. Now i can access all the boxes pretty easily and it makes all the difference. Good times rolling!!! :smiley:

4 Likes

But now your mixer is jealous on the floor… :okej:

1 Like

Just musing, but id like my Tr8 close by too though i use it rarely. Anybody know if it fits on a laptop stand or something?

Yeah open_mike but its only a micer innit :wink:

Now it’s more jealous with you saying that. :wink:
Bye the way, I don’t know if your left or right handed but I’m right and I find it nice to have my OT just to the left of my keyboard so I can play some simple bass or melody while having my left hand available to control some simple OT functions like pickup control or scene mixing…
Looks like a rockin good rig though!

Im right handed and thats a great tip ill have to rearrange again haha!! Mixers are utilitarian devices that arent as glamourous as sequenced flashing lights and purdy black boxes!! I love it though ( dont tell it otherwise it will feel the abandonment even more!! )

1 Like

This one is slightly big for it but not bad, if you search around for similar you might find one that fits snug…
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/555-11695