Who’s using a subwoofer + best headphones for referencing sub bass

Yes, these are good, I also use them. Very good to get the compressor and transient designer in the sub 50 Hz region right

Which one?

I have the first subpack, that you place in the back of your chair. The rumbing is quite exact to feel the difference between a softer bass tone and the kick. You also feel when the kick is not tuned right and doesnt match the bass. But I only us it, when I work on these issues. The rumbling can be quite heavy, so during normal arangement and recording I turn them off.

For everyday headphone usage for mixing I would reccommend the Sennheiser HD 600 or HD 660: Very open, quite a flat frequency curve, easy to wear and quite cheap for the soundquality you get. But they are not so good for deep bass adjustments.

I mean, I love it. It was easy to find a balance. It works fine at low volumes. Everything sounds fuller and my mixes turn out better in the low end 95% of the time. I’d def. recommend it.

2 Likes

Thanks! I really appreciate the input. I’m going to grab a good pair of headphones for now and keep my eyes peeled for a used one!

It would be great to get something that matched my monitors. I think that might be how I sell the idea to my wife. :wink:

At some point I want to get a massive sub that you can lay down on and put some kind off comfy padding on it just to use for frequency massages… People can lay on it and I’ll try different tones until they’re like “Oooohhh that’s it”, and I’ll hold it… After testing tones and how they relate to people’s body structure and muscle tension, I’ll start exploring more complex patterns of frequencies and just get more complex as I go… I think it could be as good as a real massage yet different, maybe better in some ways…

“If you got faults, defects or shortcomings
You know, like arthritis, rheumatism or migraines
Whatever part of your body it is
I want you to lay it on your radio, let the vibes flow through
Funk not only moves, it can re-move, dig?”

1 Like

Yes man. Just bought tha Adam sub10mk 2 for my a7x after a listening session on a lambda labs pa. Much better mixing!! Key for me was to get a sub with much power so that translate well even on low volume. The a7x sound dooo damn good with the sub. Keeps me smiling :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Problem wirh my old genelec 1021 and sub was that the sub has not enough power. For example an 808 kick was mostly sounding like „bfff“ „bfff“ … and when i turned up the volume all the stuff in the higher freqs got louder but not the bass which lead to wrong mixing eg bass to loud. That was basicly my experience from the listening session on the pa and in my car. But now it even sounds great in the car :smile: i switched off a lot of eqs in the mixes which were simply not needed to sound good on the adams. So overall much cleaner sound.

Okay, now I’m tempted about getting the sub 10, lol. Thing is though, what do I have to do for the sub to cooperate with my room? I read you have to calibrate it with the monitors but I don’t know how to do all that stuff. My room is small and square, has bass traps in corner and panals on the sides…

1 Like

Finally the response I’ve been waiting for… :joy:
I mean, I’ll talk to my funky self all day long, but seems like some of you funkers would play along… :smiley:
And Funk is it’s own reword… :smile:

1 Like

Basicly … just turn the volume down of the sub to not destroy the floor :laughing:this is no joke. I run mine on around -10 or -15 db. Its really heavy bass! You can feel it. There is not so much more to calibrate. You can switch phase of the sub and adjust cross freq of the tops. Around 75-85 hz is recommended from adam. If you have a small room i guess the sub 8 would also do the job.

1 Like

Great! Thanks for the info, I’m one step away from buying a sub lol

So a7x run as normal (with full frequency bandwidth) and sub is extra? No mucking about with crossovers etc?

Tempted with sub myself. Either an adam one or if possible integrating my KEF sub from surround sound system.

yeah you can lowcut the tops (a7x) at 85hz - but you don´t have to. I can have a look on my settings, but If I remember right, I didnt do the lowcut. The sub itself has a hicut from 50 - 150hz - I have set this to around 75hz. In case of frequence interactions because of your room or the distance from sub to a7x you can switch phase or just move the sub a bit etc.

1 Like

Check out ProAudioStar. I got mine there about 4 years ago and it was like 200-300 off.

1 Like

I grabbed a pair of the ATH-M50X phones after reading lots of great stuff about them. They definitely have the low end covered and I think they will be great for monitoring and for low-end referencing. A big improvement over my old Sony CD900st phones, and super cheap since I had a $60 store credit!

The only (minor) complaint I have about them for general listening is that the soundstage is really narrow. A buddy of mine lent me a pair of Sony MDR1As today, which are basically more for recreational listening than for studio work, and the soundstage on those is just so satisfying (and they are super comfortable). I may have to spring for a pair at some point just for lounging.