Who’s using a subwoofer + best headphones for referencing sub bass

Definitely interested in trying one in combination with headphones. Sounds like a nice late night solution. I’m just so old (school) that having an actual sub is also appealing. Lol.

Normally the sub splits the frequency range with its crossover that’s adjustable between 80 and 120 or 150 maybe. However you can flip a switch on the back to send the full frequency to the speakers, and turn the gain all the way down…
Never tried it with the sub turned off…

1 Like

One more question: is the sub useable at relatively low volumes or is it really best to use only when you can turn the volumes up fairly loud.

I got it to fill in the deep without shaking walls, seems to do well with that… Although you can shake some stuff if you push it!
It’s been in storage since November though and my last place I could crank it at 4:00AM and not bother anyone because I was deep in the woods… Never had it to quiet for awhile…

That being said to the best of my recollection from the place I lived before that, I do think it worked well at really low volume and didn’t drop response as some can do…

Can you test one at a music store?

1 Like

Exactly what I was thinking, bananas

1 Like

Good call on testing one. I’ll definitiey do that. Like you, I’m more interested in filling in some frequencies than shaking the house. In fact, I really want to avoid pissing off neighbors.

2 Likes

It’s a good one for that, bring some of your favorite music and go test one out though to see for yourself…

1 Like

Hehheh - I have some old school friends that can’t get with the transducer bass thing either. Its definitely different, but it is a great late-night option. My mixes have massively improved as well, but hopefully you will get that side effect with any good sub solution.

1 Like

the subpac really allows you to not have to go out to the club to experience that chestckick sub bass. 9/10 i’ll stay home instead of going out. just couch raving solo

5 Likes

Are you able to comment on how well it translates when you play your mixes back on a big system? I’d love to be able to try one of these, I’m imagining it feeling more like a vibrating massage chair than a sub though, does it really feel like bass?

I have the BM9s with my BM5 monitors. It’s def. worth it.

1 Like

honestly I tried a bunch of headphone in the 100€-300€ price range and the mixes done on these never translated well onto other sound systems. I also find that I get ear fatigue very fast while using headphones, especially closed back headphones. I only use them at night when I dont want to wake up my neighbours.

so I’d take an untreated room with a good pair of monitors + a sub anytime. I am using adam a5x speakers with the adam sub7 subwoofer.

1 Like

I used to mix w/ a Sub, it certainly is tricky, and for a while at first my mixes suffered. Eventually I tuned things to where I was getting good results. Ultimately though I moved to some full-range 3-way speakers as my mains and ditched the sub. Kept the near-fields for checking mids especially. If your sub-bass is too hot, on near-fields, the whole image collapses. Often times we start boosting high mids and treble to make up for it, and then headroom disappears in a jiffy and you’ve got a flat mix.

For headphones I like beyers. 990s. They do this “thing” when sub-bass is too hot, kinda tickle the ear. Hard to explain but always know that I’ve gone to far when I feel it. Though it may just be my ears lol.

Anyone using Adam A7X? Is a sub worth having in an acoustically treated space if you’re just doing electronic music?

1 Like

Good results here, but as with any sub system, you need to tune the system and get used to how the settings you use during mixing will translate. The tech isn’t like those vibration/gaming chairs. Its more like when you get a hearing test and they send a voice directly to your auditory nerve via a transducer on your mastoid bone. Don’t get me wrong though, the Subpac will vibrate like a mother (kick you in the chest) when pushed to extremes. But for mixing, I think its best to keep it low, just “filling out” the spectrum.

1 Like

Woah now I want a hearing test too :ecstatic: cheers for the response. id like to upgrade monitors. Wanted to opt for something a bit bigger but didn’t want to create more problems since I’m not working in a great space. Glad to find out something like this exists

Can you comment on the BM9s? How is it at lowish volumes? Do you find it makes the whole soundscape more lush? Was it hard to dial in with the BM5s? Any other impression would be appreciated.

Yeah, that’s one of the main reasons I realized I needed monitors. Long sessions with headphones are not good for the ears. I was working on a track with a lot (read: too much) sub bass and I actually hurt my ears. I was really worried that I might have done some permanent damage, but I appear to have gotten off lucky. After that, I decided it wasn’t worth it. (Moral of the story: do NOT use the Volca Kick with headphones).

Now the plan is to do most of my work at lowish volumes on my monitors and reference with headphones as needed.

I think the major problem with buying monitors (and in this case a sub) is that it’s a fairly sizeable investment and there is just too much conflicting info online due to the large number of variables involved. I basically became so overwhelmed/confused that I couldn’t really make a decision. That’s when I decided to go talk to someone knowledgeable at a shop, and I ended up lucking out big time by coming across a great set of used monitors.

Anybody ever used a sub from a surround sound system?

The one I have is a KEF and is really good(with films etc).

However it’s fed only sub freqs from the amplifier/receiver. I could be wrong but i think the receiver/amp sets the cross over freq and send the (un-amplified) low end to the active sub.

Im just wondering how I could set this up along side my adam a7x monitors.

Get a subpac! I have 2, the S1 and the S2. Best things i bought for my studio. It’s not super pro surgical but improved the bass of my mixes a lot. Not too comfy though. It needs some cushioning before it.

1 Like