Who is the Bob Dylan of the Electronic Music world?

Aphex Twin? Brian Eno?

Who are the Beatles of the Electronic music world? The Rolling Stones? The Jimi Hendrix? The Elliott Smith?

3 Likes

Dylan - Stockhausen
beatles - Kraftwerk

11 Likes

also interested: who are Sid Vicious, GG Allin and Seth Putnam of electronic music.

11 Likes

How about the other direction – who is the Aphex Twin or the Brian Eno of the acoustic music (?) world?

7 Likes

Bob Dylan was someone who capitalized on current trends extremely well. Wasn’t his major accomplishment bridging beatnik culture into the mainstream? My answer to the question is: Prodigy.

14 Likes

Nas

1 Like

Me

7 Likes

His major accomplishment was blowing wide open the idea of what a song could be and do (influenced in part by the Beat culture)

And he was a trend for the mid-60s to early 70s: he plugged in when everyone was unplugged and unplugged when everyone had plugged in. And then they unplugged again.

I have a feeling I’m going to have to mute this thread pretty soon.

3 Likes

If you’re about to diss the Prodigy you’ll probably have to.

9 Likes

Not my thing so not going there. Dylan however is and he has been dissed.

2 Likes

…mee too…

1 Like

they should have gotten Edan to play Dylan instead of Timothee chalamet

3 Likes

If you ask the overenthusiastic youtube comment section, Aphex is the Mozart of techno. Cringe… Every time.

7 Likes

Gaz Cobain

Or

Jason Swinscoe

Or

Joshua Paul Davis

Your mum.

2 Likes

One of the most emotional nights of my life was Mark Archer doing a Prodigy tribute DJ set after Keith died, nothing but prodigy tracks from start to finish. The whole room was super emotional, but at the same time, everyone kept looking at each other like “shit, they put out so many bangers”.

You’ve never seen so many mashheads welling up in unison whilst also dancing their tits off.

14 Likes

Leave Martha out of it.

4 Likes

no Dylan comparison here. Not a fan. But one of the granddaddy’s has to be Georgio Moroder in my book.

Can’t disagree much with the sentiments expressed about the Prodigy either.

1 Like

At least in the context of the UK, I’m struggling to think of an act as broadly liked as the Prodigy.
You could go to a rock/metal club and hear them, you could go to a rave and hear them, you could go to pretty much any town centre nightclub and hear them.

In that sense (and even though I don’t personally like the Beatles) I feel like the Prodigy are my generation’s Beatles.

6 Likes

Can the almighty Altern8 be the Stones then?

2 Likes