Who is the Bob Dylan of the Electronic Music world?

Absolutely.

I’d say Mark Archer is at least a match for Keith Richards in terms of songwriting.

1 Like

Then all is good in the world. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Full On Mask Hysteria had a profound effect on me at the time. One of those albums that subliminally lead you down the musical path of life. Curtis Mantronix work on Joyce Sims - Come Into My Life album was another.

For the uninitiated…

5 Likes

I understand the deep passion for Prodigy around here as there are a lot members from the UK and there is a provincial sentiment around them. It’s not my thing - Firestarter was barely an oddity in my youth - so I am not going to comment on their quality of talent or skill or artistic vision as these things are purely subjective and informed by deep emotions and we already have a silly flame war going on this on board.

However, quantitatively, Prodigy has nothing on the scope of Dylan or the Beatles’ influence. This is inarguable fact: not subjective or sentimental; straight up fact. The former of which heavily influenced the latter who wrote the book from which the Prodigy derives.

Now I am not saying that the Prodigy or Kraftwerk or Outkast wont one day eclipse Dylan and the Beatles. I don’t see that happening with the Prodigy, but, shit, people are starting to give credit to sillier things these days, so what do I know.

I am just saying that one’s love for your favorite artist does not change the fact that, if they are working in any way in the pop idiom, Dylan is one of the main artists responsible for the framework in which your favorite artist is making their music.

1 Like

Laurie Anderson

10 Likes

If by Bob Dylan you mean boring shite that drags on and people only pretend to care in order to sound clever, then Eno would be a pretty good fit in my book.

Not sure about the beatles. It’s been a good while since I’ve hung about screaming teenage girls - not even sure I’m allowed to be these days.

11 Likes

There are different ways of looking at this, influence on culture and legendary status / influence being just a couple. For example, Jimi Hendrix could be compared with Stockhausen in terms of sonic exploration / innovation. Bob Dylan could be compared to someone like Karl Hyde in terms of lyrical genius. The Beatles could be compared with someone like Plaid in terms of melodic and harmonic innovation etc. (Edit: melody more so than harmony)

1 Like

Who on earth is Bob Dylan?

14 Likes

Oh yeah?? Paul McCartney and Aphex are two of my favorite melodists. Idk Plaid that well. What of theirs would recommend for this?

2 Likes

I feel like The Chemical Brothers cover a lot of ground though they don’t exactly make/made teenage girls swoon (so no Beatles in that sense).

2 Likes

Robert Johnson ripoff artist.

9 Likes

OK boomer.

2 Likes

Jesus. Yall don’t know what the hell you’re talking about with teenage girls and random blues artists.

Ok, electronic music is good, but christ learn some music history.

3 Likes

Dunno what you mean with music theory, but in the 14 years I was at the conservatory, I never heard someone mention this Dylan dude… :crazy_face:

4 Likes

*history

Conservatories are the musty monasteries of music, so, no, they wouldn’t.

1 Like

Irony.

9 Likes

Bob Dylan

1 Like

besides that, beatles were 1) really good songwriters, and 2) notable cultural appropriators :crazy_face: — i mean, they adopted quite a lot of indian music elements to the popular western music of their time.

regarding 2) — there is a whole genre in electronic music.

+1 :black_heart:

3 Likes

My point is, while Robert Johnson was artist who may have come into Dylans world (his records hadn’t always been available) he was not Guthrie or Elvis to Dylan.