Who is doing interesting stuff with two Octatracks?

… imagine im rich, i win lottery or Betclic xD …

can you DAW-LESS two OT Mk2 to have 32 channels :

• 16 audio tracks
  • 16 MIDI tracks

all in Sync, with one OT as MIDI master sequencer.

yes ?

(plz confirm, i’m looking for a full DAWless studio to study my forever crazy dreams…)

Yes you can. Plenty of fx options and possible routing configurations that benefit from having a pair. Scroll up to research.

I only recommend an Analog Heat :heat: in addition, for final flavor. :thup:

3 Likes

just hesitated from a Lexicon MPX 1… i went to just buy (bought) a TC Electronic M2000.

paid 245€… :smiley: (i hope he send fast…)

& THX for the quick reply (in the merge … THX ^^)

it gonna be TRUE !

edit: OH BTW !!! how i missed my (unplugged, on the floor…) Electribe 2 for beats/chords/scales/stabs stuffs !!! LOL… (edit: my next "tomorrow quest… not Tomorrowowo…)

1 Like

it’s not for now but how do you do with 2 OT to sync projects, to sent 8 midi tracks to MIDI Thru 12 then also the 2nd OT 8 MIDI like to have this full 16 audio + 16 MIDI ? seems complicated, i dont understand.

(it’s not for live & mixing 2 OT dj-like or 2nd OT as FX / master 8… its for studio, using a mackie + external synths & FXs…)

ps: i’ll be at home monday (took my OT MkII at camping lol…), but i will try with my OT + Electribe 2 just as drum machine but electribe has only 50 user patterns so dunno if it’s well usable for beats… i will maybe sell it… take a DT or OT…

ps: i readed 3/4 this topik.

just want to work with-like a 16 audio / 16 MIDI sequencing OT.

@mk2

I only have one OT but AH is def something you are missing out on if you don’t have one

got already a M2000 tc electronic behind,

uuatched video but dont understand for 16 MIDI channel routing :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwT4FJ6Pdw0

ps: sry, got no “uu” key on this laptop keyboard :s

@sezare56 hey sez’, tu peux m’expliquer son routing 16 MIDI en Français svp ? tu dois connaître… (can you explain plz ?)

OT 1 : MIDI Tracks canaux midi 1-8
OT 2 : MIDI Tracks canaux midi 9-16

Pas le temps de regarder la video, mais je ferais logiquement ça. Pas vraiment le choix si on veut 16 pistes midi.

1 Like

il me faut un second midi-thru alors pour la 2eme OT non ?

Why? OT1 (master) OUT > OT2 IN
OT2 OUT > CHANNELS 9-16
OT2 THRU > CHANNELS 1-8

2 Likes

i need 3 synths with thru box on MIDI 1-8 all channels used, and another thru box for 4 others synths :

OT1 (master) :

thru box 1

-ch1 slimphatty
-ch2 JP-08
-ch3 nord lead 2X
-ch4 minibrute
-ch5>8 emu sampler

(6 MIDI outs with OT2)

OT2:

thru box 2

-ch9 TB-03
-ch10>14 blofeld

ch16 prg chg to control OT2
ch15 autochannel

(2 MIDI outs actually)

====

i need 16 Audio + 16 MIDI

need 2 thru box ?

1 Like

My Anniversary edition arrives next week therefore I will unexpectedly have two OTs in my possession until I decide to flog my grey one.

I am intrigued by the thought of a dual setup hence the search and finding this thread.

1. Are anybody still using two ir has everybody’s brain fried lol

2. Are you running the mains outs of one into another or running both main outs into a mixer instead?

3. Anybody using one or both Octatracks with the CUE outputs used as a seperate outs?

Cool to learn more. Thanks

I’m using my 2 OTs as recorders/editors for everything coming through the mixer.

One OT is the master for the other sequencers (the second OT and 2 AKs), sending midi clock and also sequencing multimap and performance modes for the AKs while sending clock and midi cc to AH and 2 multi effects.

I’m running both OTs in studio mode with 2 stereo outs per unit directly into a mixer for eq and direct recording to daw.

1 Like

Ah cool

So your using the CUE outs for sending tracks out to the mixer on both units? E.g. guess these can be hard panned for mono tracks e.g. kick / bass (Yet to try Studio mode)

If I understand correctly it sounds like you are not running the main outputs of one Octatrack into the other Octatrack but instead using them separately to the mixer but but just clocking / transport / sequencing them together via the Master Octatrack?

Cheers

Exactly, running them separately to the mixer :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for the process.
That’s helping me to think differently the sound circuit organisation of my gear.

Do your units has duty sound ? Or do you totaly improvise the type of sound (harmonic, percussive, drone/fx/lead/rythm) emitted by each synths and OTs.

1 Like

Glad it helped! For me, it’s a bit like you say “duty” sound for most units and then a bit of freebasing for the remaining ones. Minitaur always on bass, one of the AKs always on drums, all poly by the Prophet X and then the Blue Marvins tend to be all over in terms of lines.

I’m almost exclusively using the OTs to sample from what’s running through the mixer so that’s probably to be considered their duty as well - to offload synths and/or put the entire arrangement together.

Hope it helps :+1:

1 Like

It does. Very enlighting. Thx for explanation

1 Like

Seeing as how I sold my DT/DN to purchase an ARMKII that I immediately didn’t like (and had weird faded LEDs), I returned it with the intentions of getting another DT.

I am instead going to dual wield OTs; one for drums and one for live looping and sample playback. I get my scenes for my drums and and second one to do all of the sample playback goodness.

I’m hoping this is the right choice.

Only a couple of weeks old: not just two Octatracks, but two silver Octatracks.

3 Likes

@AdamJay if you’re up for it would you mind sharing exactly how you’re mapping the Twister for your OT DJ mixes? I’m exploring the same setup and would love to learn from your experience. Curious about the red chroma caps!