Who is doing interesting stuff with two Octatracks?

Nice stab sounds!

1 Like

What is the source of the synth sound?

Pro 2 , but OT filter and LFO are really working it.

2 Likes

Thanks, it sounds very heavy. Are you sampling the chord from the pro1 with the filter open and doing all the filtering and modulation in your OT then?

The filter on the Pro 2 isnā€™t totally open, there is some envelope modulation on the LPF

There is also some subtle reverb p-locking going on on the Octatrack that gives it more air on some steps, which plays off the high resonance a good bit. All the OT filter modulation is of the base (hpf)

I think the OT base width filter is a bit underrated with how much it can transform already filtered samples into new and interesting things. Everyone talks about how great OT is at mangling with slices and p-locks, but even just laying trigs and putting heavy LFO on the base side of the LFO can transform a sample in interesting ways. The filter dist on page 2 helps as well.

3 Likes

Not sure where to post this, but Iā€™m trying to wrangle this second octaā€¦

When I mute an audio track on OT #1 it mutes the corresponding track on OT #2.

OT #1 is sending transp/clock to OT #2 and acting as master.

Any way to avoid this?

You may have to turn off the midi channels per track on OT #2.

If OT #1 track 2 is on midi channel 2, and the same applies to OT #2 track 2, the second OT will receive all midi from the first OT.

Happens between my DT and OT all the time :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Just put up my second Octatrack for sale.

Was a good run using the both of em together. Used one as a drum machine and one for melody/samples/field recordings.

Iā€™m selling to actually invest more in euro stuff gonna try out and an assimil8or and try doing most of my drums through the modular.

Did enjoy having two but it kinda became a thing of just wanting to use a different ā€œcolor ya know

2 Likes

I had 2 twice before, on both occasions I was using them in the same way, mostly just as 8 track flex players, set up next to each other.

First time was 2 mk1, second time was a mk1 and a mk2 although I did not keep the mk1 for long, as I preferred using the mk2.

This time I have 2 mk2, I did not really plan on getting another, but the AE ended up being a present. This time I decided to try to set them up differently, so they are not next to each other, this sounds daft, but has been somewhat of a revelation to me. I literally just finished setting it all up this weekend, but early tests seem promising.

The reason being that the AE is close to my modular gear and is being used in ways that I never much used the OT before - mixing and fx of external signals, as well as sampling/sequencing.

I found that because I have the other OT doing its usual thing, it has freed me up to be a bit more experimental in my approach with the second, trying out stuff that I rarely used before, and reminded me of stuff that I had forgotten or did not see much use for.

Previously most sampling would be done using rec triggers, most of the time fx slots would be filter, eq, compressor, delay, comb filter or dark reverb, I suppose that I got comfortable and a bit too routine, so I have started making a conscious effort to break with that. I guess that I can justify it in my mind now, Iā€™m not explaining it well, but hopefully you get the jist.

I will probably make a bunch of project templates for different set ups, along with accompanying notes on the functions, for easy reference.

I donā€™t mean to say that I was stuck in a rut before, but rather that because I find how I mostly use the OT as so valuable and core to my set up, I was reluctant to ā€œwasteā€ functions by straying too far from the ā€œessentialsā€.

In a weird way it has made me appreciate even more what I already knew the OT to be, an amazing tool with almost limitless flexibility.

10 Likes

Hmmm reading this itā€™s tempting to dedicate my OT and itā€™s fx/sequencing/inputs to my modular case, and use the MPC to sequence the hardware synths.
At the minute either can do either which does cause a bit of decision anxiety.

Yes it is quite a nice workflow, I sequence modular from OT midi track 1, I have a thru machine on audio T5, then a flex on T1 which can record either the input or the T5 depending on which button I press. I have a scene with T1 audible on A and T5 audible on B, so that I can move fader to B hear modular, make changes, hit record, move fader to A to hear result. A simple way to collect lots of samples in a fairly quick and hassle free way.

3 Likes

I like that, clean workflow. Coincidentally I was just driving and thinking to have 4 MIDI ch mirrored by thru tracks (and inputs A-D), then use the 4 opposing tracks for flex machines corresponding to the thrus. My modular case is Intellijel 7u which can be configured with 4 mono or 2 stereo pair outs.
I think some kind of simple logic like this is essential for me to get value from OT!

1 Like

Yes then you can capture 4 samples at a time, or 8 even if you use the buffers on T5-8 to capture the thru machines with fx etc, and T1-4 to capture the raw input.

4 Likes

Been relatively unproductive for a few years prior to 2020. Decided to focus on direct control, as Iā€™m a DJ through and through.

Spent last year ignoring my Euro and focusing on the Octatrack and Polyend Tracker controlling synths. X04 on the MD was the icing on the cake.

The Octatrack is now back at the heart of everything and I couldnā€™t be more productive. Like the idea of the Euro to sample, but Iā€™m never going to centre things around that again.

So this weekend I was running out of tracks, and I liked the idea of more crossfading so I bought another one :slight_smile:

Feels like multi deck action incoming. I might even wire the 1210s into them once we can party again!

2 Likes

ā€¦ imagine im rich, i win lottery or Betclic xD ā€¦

can you DAW-LESS two OT Mk2 to have 32 channels :

• 16 audio tracks
  • 16 MIDI tracks

all in Sync, with one OT as MIDI master sequencer.

yes ?

(plz confirm, iā€™m looking for a full DAWless studio to study my forever crazy dreamsā€¦)

Yes you can. Plenty of fx options and possible routing configurations that benefit from having a pair. Scroll up to research.

I only recommend an Analog Heat :heat: in addition, for final flavor. :thup:

3 Likes

just hesitated from a Lexicon MPX 1ā€¦ i went to just buy (bought) a TC Electronic M2000.

paid 245ā‚¬ā€¦ :smiley: (i hope he send fastā€¦)

& THX for the quick reply (in the merge ā€¦ THX ^^)

it gonna be TRUE !

edit: OH BTW !!! how i missed my (unplugged, on the floorā€¦) Electribe 2 for beats/chords/scales/stabs stuffs !!! LOLā€¦ (edit: my next "tomorrow questā€¦ not Tomorrowowoā€¦)

1 Like

itā€™s not for now but how do you do with 2 OT to sync projects, to sent 8 midi tracks to MIDI Thru 12 then also the 2nd OT 8 MIDI like to have this full 16 audio + 16 MIDI ? seems complicated, i dont understand.

(itā€™s not for live & mixing 2 OT dj-like or 2nd OT as FX / master 8ā€¦ its for studio, using a mackie + external synths & FXsā€¦)

ps: iā€™ll be at home monday (took my OT MkII at camping lolā€¦), but i will try with my OT + Electribe 2 just as drum machine but electribe has only 50 user patterns so dunno if itā€™s well usable for beatsā€¦ i will maybe sell itā€¦ take a DT or OTā€¦

ps: i readed 3/4 this topik.

just want to work with-like a 16 audio / 16 MIDI sequencing OT.

@mk2

I only have one OT but AH is def something you are missing out on if you donā€™t have one

got already a M2000 tc electronic behind,

uuatched video but dont understand for 16 MIDI channel routing :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwT4FJ6Pdw0

ps: sry, got no ā€œuuā€ key on this laptop keyboard :s

@sezare56 hey sezā€™, tu peux mā€™expliquer son routing 16 MIDI en FranƧais svp ? tu dois connaĆ®treā€¦ (can you explain plz ?)