Who can post their first ever electronic music recording?

not sure if this is of interest to anyone, but i started making music 35 years ago and have lost all of my recordings so when i went back to making music in 2020 thats the earliest recording i have, and its amusing to me at least to listen back and remember what gear i was using and how i recorded it in 2020 vs what i am up to now

here’s the first thing i made in 2020

15 Likes

Damn. If I just had a player for these old cassettes from 1990/91 or so that are hidden somewhere in a box.

It’s a good thread. We have a “Which gear you started with” thread. But actually sharing some of the early steps with or without a tiny bit of embarrassment would be fun!

Edit: Found it
https://www.elektronauts.com/t/what-was-your-first-piece-of-gear/

2 Likes

Ive lost some great tracks over the years. At one point i found some again for them to only be lost a second time. :woman_facepalming:

I do still have the earliest stuff i made though. I was using some cheap Casio mini keyboard, sequencing it from an Amiga using Music X. It’s a short album influenced by Jean Michel Jarre, Pet Shop Boys and i think the sound design in the theme tune for the UK hospital show Causality :joy:

It’s also 35 years old, it was the first music I properly worked on, my brother helped with the programming of one track while showing me, and I programmed the drums and all the additional tracks. It’s sounds pretty terrible haha! I blame the Casio.

7 Likes

yes i remember this thread, good times!

1 Like

Jean Michel Jarre and Pet Shop Boys meet Casualty sounds incredible, please post!

2 Likes

I started recording some iffy singer songwriter tunes in c.2005 / 2006 and then got a Microkorg to add some more interest cause I I thought Grandaddy used one (unconfirmed). This was my first foray into electronic music, probably recorded around 2007, multitracked into a Boss BR600 digital recorder. Happy times…

16 Likes

1994 – but that was already quite advanced from toying around with just a Roland D-20

24 Likes

my first impulse tracker stuff was lost long ago, I remember uploading it to something like traxinspace or something like that at the time but the website long gone too…
it was around 95-98 something like that

I also lost all my fruity loops project from early 2000s

I was doing music with a friend in a studio we had mid 2000s in Cubase SX, I can try getting in touch see if something remained but I doubt it…

this is great!

1 Like

this is wicked and sounds so current!

2 Likes

Yeah totally, the brain of a 10 year old i guess.

I’ll dig it out and post in up in a bit. :+1:

1 Like

Agreed! Cool track @B_LD

1 Like

Thanks! :slight_smile:

It actually went all by ear – as I never learned any mixing etc properly. Just stereo outs from a mackie 1604 into a sony DAT

2 Likes

And here’s my first sequenced track, on Bhajis Loops on my Palm PDA, also in 2007:

I made my best music (to my ears anyway) back around when I first started tbh. Started overthinking things not long after, more focussed on gear and less focussed on choons.

12 Likes

Here’s the first synth thing I recorded. Little did I know just a few years ago how deep the rabbit hole goes.

I used to do a guitar overdubbing thing in high school that was terrible but fun.
I Hate Mosquitoes.
I can’t find it anymore besides other artists going by that handle nowadays, repellant articles and Quora links about the insects.

8 Likes

innit!!!

The tapes are long lost.
I wish I had kept them.

4 Likes

what’s the earliest thing you have access to?

I like this track by the way, very cool

1 Like

This is also really nice.

2 Likes