White LED light from the track-buttons are too bright

I believe the octatrack mk2 had this implemented: reducing brightness of leds (in prefs)

So there is HOPE for dimitone users

6 Likes

I recently got an Octatrack and when i found the dim function i was sooooo happy. The Octatrack instantly felt like a way more professional device than my Digitakt. I love my Digitakt but my eyes hate that evil little laser strobo creature.

3 Likes

The LED/LCD brightness settings are on a semi-long list of possible improvements för the devices that dont have it. As alwyas no promises of when/what will be implemented or not, but just letting you know that we hear you :slightly_smiling_face:
Personally, I think it would be cooler with a darkness setting :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

20 Likes

Going to have to open my DT up and either use film, or pen to dim the lights. Been getting headaches. Such a shame. The DN doesn’t seem as bad.

1 Like

With that said, has anyone on here modded there DT/DN to lesten the light intensity? What product/technique did you use? I am wondering if I need to buy some sheets like this 3 X Neutral Density Lighting Filter Gel Sheets 24" x 24" 0.3ND 0.6ND 0.9ND | eBay, open up the box, cut out loads of little squares, and stick them inside the keys?

Is the suggestion above of drawing on the LEDs also a viable method (seems easier, but less reversible)?

Thanks in advance

Can’t you just remove the key cap and put the light filter either over the LED or against the key cap ? There has to be enough room inside for this to fit and the key still move freely.
(I’ve never taken a key cap off, so I’m blind on this at the moment.)

This guy did it with x-ray film.

Alternately, but possible, particularly if other people would buy it, would be to 3D print new key caps. Or perhaps better, key cap covers.

1 Like

I’d say wait for a firmware update. The much older OT MKII got a firmware update recently that now allows three different levels of LED intensity. So, it’s only a matter of time until DT and DN get the same IMO. And the issue has been acknowledged by Elektron just above. Hang in there rather than void your warranty (if there is any left, of course). Until then, ensuring that you have a well-lit room should help balance out the brightness – i.e., be less intense on the eyes with all the flashing, etc.

5 Likes

Please be right, Craig. :pray:

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I bought an LED lamp today to put on the desk when I play with DT/DN after dark, I’ll see how that works out before disassemble.

1 Like

I wrote about this problem to the support service.
Here’s what they answered:

"We are aware that some users find the LED light too bright, and implementing a personal setting for setting your own preferred LED brightness level is on our to-do-list. The Octatrack MKII was recently the first product with these button LEDs that got a brightness setting and the plan is to have it on all products as soon as possible. Hopefully for the next OS update, but I can’t promise anything.

Something you could do in the meantime if this really bothers you is to remove each button cap and put a tiny piece of paper on top of the LED (to block some of the light) before putting the button cap back in place. Use a thin plastic tool (like a guitar pick or credit card) to remove a button cap. Insert the tool in the gap between the panel and the button cap, then gently heave to dislodge the cap. To put the button cap back, just press it in place. This should be completely safe to do."

And I did it :smile:
It turned out to be very simple. It took two hours for all the buttons.
The main thing is to use a soft guitar pick.
And instead of paper, I used shrink tubing cut into squares.

7 Likes

I’ve been thinking of doing this but with ND filter lighting gel - in theory it should dim the brightness consistently without changing colour - but tbh I’m most likely gonna wait til it happens via software because I’m lazy.

If you did want to do it, this was what I would look at using, you can get different densities for more/less dimming:

Now there’s a good band name

2 Likes

Awesome to hear more official confirmation that they plan to do this - great job!

Fwiw I tried the X-ray film idea on a couple of buttons on the Digitakt, but it barely took the edge off the insanely bright stop button! Also had a few scary moments when the film nearly fell into the machine and so I eventually gave up. Would much prefer a real solution that’s not a hack, so really pleased to hear this is coming.

1 Like

I bought this product called “LightDims” which is basically a sheet of stickers of various sizes meant to block 50-90% of harsh LED light on home electronics/routers etc.

Initially I tried popping off the keys of the digitakt, to put them inside, but I found that a lot of the light is coming from white semi-opaque plastic, housing the led, reflecting the light - which is not easily blocked.

Finally I just put the stickers directly on top of the buttons. They can be taken off easily enough without leaving residue and it’s definitely made a difference. There was enough in a pack to cover everything (maybe even a second machine) and they were like $8.

Additionally I grabbed this non-adhesive sheet called “Dim It” and put it on the screen.

1 Like

Thank you, Elektron!

4 Likes

thank you !!

1 Like

Had my DT on loan to a friend for a while. Picked it up today and installed the update immediately.

For me - having some sensory processing issues- the LOW LED setting is SO MUCH better! Now I can use DT when I’m overstimulated and need the music most! :grinning:

Thanks again, Elektron!
A very happy DT-user

11 Likes

Thanks for what ?

@meltedmen83

One of the features in the most recent OS update.

1 Like

finally a low LED setting! my eyes say thank you.
now I can use my DT again.

1 Like