Which successful DJs use the OT live?

Interesting Octatrack DJ set example.
Atch is playing tracks from CF card with static machines. Samples are played manually, Track + Play or trig 9-16, with Atributes Quantize.

3 Likes

Do you mean DJing as playing other people’s tracks? Or playing their own music live?

Because there are a lot of guys doing live shows with the OT, but I haven’t seen many using it for actual DJing.

I’ve had an itch for doing that (DJing with the octa) for a while but I always find that the timestretching algorythm is a bit lacking when playng a track at a different tempo. This can be solved by warping track in Ableton, but then you are a stuck to a specific tempo (or a range)

And moreover, there is absolutely no equivalent to Rekordbox on the octatrack or Elektron environment, no way to create playlists, tags or save sets as on Pioneer machines, everything is managed in folders in that box, while being able to have advanced way of searching for tracks in your Library (like by mood, tempo, genre, all those combined) is a great asset for a DJ.

Also, looping in real time like on the CDJs is missing, and extensive use of neighbour machines as well as a MIDI controller are almost necessary to have the same amount of control as on a DJ Mixer

On the other hand, Pioneer equipment is super expensive, and if you already have an OT and want to try DJing, it can be a great thing to embrace its limitations and take advantage of its strength to create an other way of playing and blending records!

2 Likes

Not as convenient as dedicated tools, but possible with Arranger > 8 x 256 Rows, with Reminder lines.

? Not missing in Octatrack!
8 recorders, quantized or not!

1 Like

Sure!
What I meant is that you don’t get a looping function similar to CDJs where you can go in and out of a loop with the push of a button, and stay “Inside” the loop while it’s running. On the OT you can use a recorder and the transition trick to create a loop, but the track will continue playing in the background and if you want to get out of the loop, it will be in a totally different part of the song

Yeah, not easy but doable. A lot of preparation is needed with DAW for perfect stretching, If you want to match tempo.

If you just want to play songs out of sync it is not that difficult.

You have 8 tracks. Each track has a default sample slot. If each sample slot is in a different folder with specific tracks, you can select the next one in the folder easily with Fn+Track, or select manually.

1 Like

See older thread(s). This question has been asked several times over the years.

I sort of understand you question. I wondered about that the minute I started DJing. Though the more you get into what DJing really is, the more it feels so unnecessary to add extras to it. Remember that the core of DJing is playing different tracks. Its less about the DJ and more about the music he chooses, the place, and the sound system. The better your track selection is, the more intrusive anything you do to it becomes. What I mean is, no one wants to hear gimmicky tricks to an already solid track.

If you’re interested in adding your touch to a track, then you’re way better off making an ‘edit’ of the track and just playing that.

It’s more convincing to use pedals (think Zoia) as extra FX than an OT or an Elektron device.

6 Likes

I totally see what you mean, adding layers for the sake of it to already complete tracks feels more like a gimmick than anything else.
On the other hand, house music was created by taking a disco loop, filtering it and adding a kick, so maybe it can be done tastefully too :slight_smile:

And I would add that some tracks and genres are created specifically to allow for long blends and It can be super fun to play with layers. Some do that with CDJs. You could even buy tracks specifically because they are stripped down in order to play several at the same time.

3 Likes

True. I was gonna add that exception but I slacked :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I totally agree with you. You can just buy stems now or dj tools for layering.

What you describe regarding disco was done in studio environment though not live, at least not to my limited knowledge.

Then again, the question is regarding ‘successful’ DJs. I’m more of a house/deephouse/minimal type of DJ, and I have not heard someone use a loop or just a stem honestly. From what I have seen/heard, there is a strong preference for complete tracks. I have not heard a DJ layer three tracks in that category.

But if we’re talking techno/big room, I’m sure the likes of Hawtin and Cox do it. The whole thing with the Model1 mixer they’re marketing is that it lets you add lots of layers.

I feel for them, it could make sense. They have been DJing for decades and can dissect a sound on the spot. If you been DJing for few years, I think you should focus on having a good selection first and foremost. Even before mastering beat matching or any of the techniques.

I’m always interested in reading others’ thoughts on what DJing is and how they perceive it.

2 Likes

+1 on this. The over use of fx on playing tracks can really kill a track too. I know I’ve been guilty of this. I’ve recently got into the re-edit world . Worth checking out Avalon Emerson’s website and any production interviews of hers on this subject. Ableton feels like the best tool for this but you can also get good results mixing the same track on 4 virtual decks in Traktor. Nothing to do with elektron gear though sorry…

1 Like

100% agree with all this :slight_smile:

The only thing I want to add is that, if you only have an octatrack, no budget to buy CDJs, but want to try DJing, there is no reason not to do it on the OT!

1 Like

I don’t think you can do this with CDJ, among crazy other things.

( Octatrack 64 breakbeat x 16 slices megabreak of doom:)

I can’t agree, this is like Octatrack is the poor’s DJ tool. It can be an absolutely killer one, making CDJs looks like an expensive toy! :smile:

2 Likes

Of course. But you will make the task at hand much harder than it should be and you won’t really get that DJing experience.

IMHO the OT provides almost nothing you really need as DJ. “Yes” it can play stems and “yes” it can be used as a mixer - but even as a mixer is not really comfortable. Any laptop setup with some software (needn’t to be special DJ software - two simple players will do fine) and some cheap midi controller or a mixer is a better fit.

3 Likes

True. If you can afford an OT, you can afford a Serato controller lol.

4 Likes

Haha, when I bought my OT, I could certainly not afford anything more :slight_smile:

Just checked some prices. The cheapest Serato controller goes for €70.- (with €10.- steps up to the next larger models) and Serato has a two-weeks free trial … so there is really no sensible reason to fake DJing with an OT.

1 Like

Why would it be “fake DJing”?

Maybe I’m quite old-fashion, but to me DJing is a quite distinctive trade which uses also quite distinctive (key) tools and techniques.

Of course the borders are not that black & white, but when someone starts layering stuff and creatively mangling the audio so it becomes something new I would never call that a DJ anymore. That’s a performer (of whatever kind).

2 Likes

Oh sure, but if you only work with two tracks on the OT as two decks with EQ/filters and levels, and use it to perform beatmatched transitions between two songs, I think you can get fairly close to a traditionnal DJ set.

But I see what you mean, when you introduce samples and layers, it becomes something else.

Then I’d still rather use Virtual DJ on a laptop and use the OT slider and CC controls mapped to VDJ’s commands, perhaps routing the audio through OT for fx (the filters are really outstanding compared to anything else) and add some occasional samples using chains so to have lots of them available without changing banks/patterns.
That would be a fairly capable, compact DJ rig.

But OT as a standalone DJ player/mixer/Recordbox replacement? Nope.

2 Likes