Which semi-modular?

I’ve been running a setup recently with Minibrute + 0-Coast + Strega, plus effects pedals, mostly for doing very slowly evolving drone things involving a lot of real-time performance. This is a pretty nice combo. I think the MN stuff with the Taiga would probably be good too.

I will often use the MB for converting Euro output level to line level and use one of the MN headphones outputs to feed the other one. Lots of fun with Strega ‘external substance’ where you can gain boost something, mess it up with the time/filter, and also put the clean audio through the dynamics on 0-Coast. A cheap radio or cassette player is a nice addition to your Strega too.

I have been wondering about adding another semi-modular to the setup or whether I should go full Euro. I always seem to want a couple more cycling envelopes, slower/more random LFOs, and more sound sources wouldn’t hurt either. Any recommendations for what to add here? I find the patching really addictive but I find the choices and expenses of Euro to be a little hard to navigate.

2 Likes

I have no personal experience with Taiga (besides lots of reading and demo watching) but it strikes me as a reasonable addition to what you have (certainly more reasonable than full Euro), as long as you’re aware of its quirks (like read through the whole Taiga thread here and on MW, and watch all the demos).

1 Like

No contest. Cascadia.

2 Likes

Taiga and use the price difference with the Cascadia (over a grand) to buy some other modules.

1 Like

(cheater. :stuck_out_tongue: )

A non-binary response to a binary question. No ulterior innuendo intended.

I’ve got a Hydrasynth Desktop I want to pair up with a semi-modular. I’m not looking to get into Eurorack (ever - famous last words, I know) so I’m looking for a self-contained box that is beautiful in of itself, and doesn’t have to rely on “this other module” to really shine.

I’m currently looking into something akin to Buchla-style sound. I’ve currently got my eye on the Taiga, the 0-coast and the West Pest (in that order). They all seem to offer “that sound” but the Taiga looks the most complete. I could probably score a cheap 0-coast secondhand, but the weird design of the synth actually deters me a bit - looks very exoteric and different (which of course could be a good thing).

For reference, I adore making ambient slowpaced music (everything upbeat and with lots of instruments and beats I handle in the box). I like sampling and layering to make drones and walls of sound etc. I usually do some live jamming while multitracking and then I re-arrange and master in the box afterwards.

As a bonus question, would it be possible to run MIDI from my computer to my Hydrasynth, and then run MIDI THROUGH into a CV gate? Or is there a mismatch in signals here?

1 Like

Don’t forget the Microvolt 3900. I use one for ambient, experimental music. You can procure one secondhand. For your last question, you would need a Midi to CV converter.

I can only speak for 0-Coast here (not sure about the other two) but there’s no need to get the Hydrasynth involved. The 0-Coast accepts midi (mono only ofc) and comes with an adapter for 5-pin midi connections. And, of course, if you want to get the Hydrasynth arp into the 0-Coast without midi, you can use the CV and Gate outs instead.

1 Like

I just got a barp 2600, its pretty great

Although I’ve not owned one myself I think if your budget supports it it’s a hard option to beat - it covers a lot of ground (east and west) and sounds fantastic. Extensive patchbay too.

I think Cascadia versus 2600m would be the most apples-to-apples choice. and I’d choose 2600m. (and purchase a Cascadia later)

1 Like

I thought this about Taiga too when I first saw all those patch points but it actually looks fairly limited at the same time. For example, the ADSRs, you get in and out and that’s it by the looks of it. No way to modulate decay or send a gate at end of cycle etc. 0-Coast has less patch points but I’d say it’s more flexible in some ways. Having three separate oscillators on Taiga is better for FM and cross modulation, etc, tho, admittedly.

3 Likes

I thought this at first too, but the manual is really detailed and explains what’s going on well. There’s actually a sort of logic to how everything is labeled that’s consistent across all of their stuff. I’d check out the manual if you’re getting serious about it (skip the midi stuff at first, it’s a bit confusing).

Your left-field option for Buchla on a budget is the Volca Modular. I really like this little box! Plus it won’t tempt you into additional modular stuff.

3 Likes

I got the Cascadia :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Except for the leftmost centimetre, which is the equivalent of the junk drawer I had as an adolescent.

Thanks for the reply :slight_smile: I was actually talking about sending MIDI notes from Ableton to the Hydrasynth, and then use the MIDI THROUGH into the semi-modular. I’m asking since I like to program sequences from my DAW, and don’t really like to use step sequencers. I believe the Hydrasynth Desktop can send MIDI over CV, but the question is if the MIDI from the computer can do a pass through. Can’t seem to find that covered in the manual.

@tapesky Thanks, I’ve actually already skimmed the manual but since you point out it should be logical, maybe I should try a more thorough read :wink:

Thanks for the replies, lads. That didn’t make it easier. Might end up ordering them all and make good use of the european return window.

2 Likes

I had an Explorer at one point but not at the same time as an 0-Coast or alternative (semi-) modular. So, I couldn’t try it out. But for this specific use case, it could be worth reaching out to ASM to see whether they think it’s possible or not. I think they’re very responsive.

The new Elmyra 2 ( thread ) looks like a great option in this category.

1 Like

Erica Synths Pico 3.

Sounds sick, keenly priced and stuffed full of useful bits and pieces in case ever venture further into euro. Which you will.