Which Moog to accompany my Akeys?

GAS is growing… ahhhhh

Off-Topic but the Analog Four is the only Synth i have left. I will pair it with a polyphonic one, maybe digital.
Probably Deepmind 12 rack if it’s released this year or i will look for second hand.

(i also use materials from VST and computer in my OT for now)

I can recommend the prophet 12, its sounding really good for digital /FM. Build quality is also very good. The price of the module is not so high as for the keyboard version. Try one out at the shop.

1 Like

I try to not spend more than 1500… that’s my MAX :joy: … 1000-1200 is better
I also try to not buy second hand except with warranty… because i usually have problems otherwise (or at least thats my experience with second hand market)

Not the same I know, but you can effectively have two VCOs by patching the filter.

I you want straight Moog, I agree the Minitaur is best-bang-for-buck.

If you want to get wild but still have some classic Moog to fall back on, M32. It’s a fun little beast.

3 Likes

This is a very good point. The market value for these has dropped to a very reasonable price.

If I didn’t have the M32 I’d be having sleepless nights over which to go for!

Luckily, the thing I enjoy most about the M32, is that it makes me work for interesting things.

3 Likes

… and the Sound of the M32 is so smooth and upper class…

2 Likes

From your list I would say Slim Phatty which is a really solid synth.

I used to have a Sub 37 but sold due problems in my rig/DAW. (Droning notes all the time) I now use 3 Mother 32 and have tons of fun.

I feel the Mother sounds more like the classic Moog compared to the Sub 37.
On other hand, if you really want to distort the sound, the Sub is awesome.

Thanks everyone for their input, just reading through every-ones thoughts helps clear my thoughts on what is best for my situation

@bradleyallen this is my situation regarding space see photos below, I actually don’t mind the limited space as i don’t have too much room for my GAS to take over

My plan is to attach the computer to one of those wall mounted swivel arms, which will give me room to slot a desktop synth behind the AR or make/buy a stand to make use of the vertical space. I stand up making music so everything is pretty easy to access.

I just think the Analog Keys and a Moog is a match made in heaven, as an example this guys setup with the Minitaur https://youtu.be/oGoUspQ6zdM, i have also heard great examples with the Mother 32 and the Slim Phatty as well

I think no matter which one i get its going to sound great.
With the Minitaur I love the bass sound, especially when that filter opens up every now and then but I am worried that it would take up too much sonic space for me, then i would have trouble with the AR’s and the Minitaur’s bass frequencies competing, I could be wrong I am still learning about all these things :slight_smile:

Why thanks for the compliment I actually have a love/hate thing going on with the Evolver
yep just after a lil’ Moog in my life :grin:

I need another month to save a little more…I will check if there are any deals I can’t ignore and report back

I had a minitaur with my a4 for a couple of months but after a while got tired of having so little knobs/possibilities! I sold it to help me finance a sub 37 best decision i ever made this synth is truly amazing! Check it out !

1 Like

After playing with the Prophet VS VST I want a poly evolver or at least a pro 2. Back to the topic…once you get a moog you vibe with it is a wrap.

1 Like

Just for closure

I got a Slim Phatty, I found one 2nd hand one at a reasonable price so i jumped on it

I love the sound, setting up the CV from the Akeys was a pain in the arse…but the Elektronauts back catalogue of CV topics helped me so thanks all involved with spreading the wisdom

6 Likes

Congratulations !
I got a white one, love it as well !

Haven’t try to CV control it, I should :slight_smile:

Hey thanks

The white ones look great

yeah you should give the CV control a go, at this stage i’m only doing the Trig and Pitch…I got to buy another cable for more control.

Most of my problems setting up came from the SP’s tuning, i ended up re calibrating it then everything was pretty sweet

I always have a guitar tuner plugged to it, so that I can easily control where I’m at :slight_smile:

1 Like

Careful with auto tune and pitch cv input, can get messy.
If your cv is constant or zero, you can turn on auto tune for a moment to do its job, then turn it back off before varying pitch cv input…

Edit: when I say constant above that’s only if you have gear that doesn’t quite rest at 0 volts and is more of a slight constant offset, in that case auto tune will correct for that offset, just make sure to turn it back off…

1 Like

Oh, I meant on the output of the SP

I understood, just a general tip…