Which Moog to accompany my Akeys?

I am basically looking at 3 different desktop Moogs to accompany my Akeys

Slim Phatty
Mother 32
Minitaur

looking for opinions before i make a decision…thanks
:slight_smile:

Mother 32 looks super kool but slim phatty can save patches! I’ll go with mother 32 because you can mess with all the cv options!

1 Like

Slim phatty. You can save presets. You get thick bass and leads. Taurus is more just a phat bass machine.

Why aren’t you considering the sub37? Well worth the extra $!

2 Likes

True but it sounds like a budget question here. Or if you look hard enough Sub Phattys go below 600 but I like the slim phatty sound

Yep budget plus space issue regarding not getting the sub37

As Geneoart said …Mother 32 would give you the opportunity to use all the CV outs on the A4 … loads of great possibilities there. Then send the M32 audio back thru the A4 for more craziness. That’s the one I’d get.

3 Likes

M32 if you’re feeling experimental…
SP if you’re more wishing to play live I’d say.

But I’d go No-Coast rather than M32 : it’s way more “different” than the M32, give you access to a lot more sounds than subtractive synthesis, and paired with A4K you really make use of Elektron filters…
That say, I’m still not tired of the SP sound :smiley:

Oh ! SP does CV as well ! Iirc there are 4 CV inputs.
And 100 patches is very convenient.

Consider a used one, it’s build like a tank :smiley:

1 Like

SP has storage for presets but I just sold mine because the tuning issues are just too painful. Even in the studio, I had to wait between 45 and 1 hour before the unit’s tuning would be stable. I’m aware that the SP has VCOs but during the time it took to warm up I’ve been already composing with my AK. Also as I sometimes play with other musicians, this was not my go to synth, because guitar players are ready to play in a minute.

So consider this if this could be an issue for you. I weren’t confident about using it live too …

Really interesting Thread! I own already an Analog Keys and I like to have a second synth. I like to buy the Mother 32 in the next Days.
For my ears it sounds fantastic and it is not so big on the table (room-issues).

What do you think, the Sound of Mother32 with Analog Keys is a nice mixture?
Are there a lot of possibilities to use (for example the filter) from the AK with Mother

Thanks for your advices!

A4 and M32 are a dream.

The M32 can get weird, or it can get Moog. It makes a perfect partner with the A4, with both the CV capabilities and by using the a4 onboard fx on the M32. Man that sounds so sweet.

Thanks… and it does not play a rule if its a A4 OR AK??

1 Like

Nah no issue mate. Although, and this may be wildly incorrect, but as the AK has the extra outs, you could potentially have the AK going into the M32, as well as the M32 going into the A4, for fx.

I have the blofeld keys as my master keyboard, so the A4 and the M32 being small desktops work really well for me.

Do it! If you don’t like it, you can flip the M32 for close to what you paid

2 Likes

Thanks mate :slight_smile:

Hey I have an A4 and M32. They work well together. I’m not particulrly into the standard ‘moog’ sounds in my tracks, although its quite fun to jam with every now and then.

Where it really shines is being able to sequence Midi note data from my OT and then use all the A4 CV controls on the M32 to get some crazy sounds!

I think they pair nicely and the patchpoint is real fun. No patch memory is a little bit of a pain but its really not that bad.

2 Likes

Nice to hear that. I think the M32 ist a good choice :relaxed:

oh also, while it is only single oscillator (obviously expandanble via eurorack) the oscillator does sound ridiculously huge.

and then benefit of the CV/Eurorack expansion in that if you want a different/second envelope? easy to add. Second oscillator? choose from hundreds. LFO? no problem.

Really makes it the start of whatever you want

*Disclaimer: if you do start expanding into eurorack and ruing yourself financially it is not my fault. I am currently resisting as i like my M32 as is but the temptation is always there…

2 Likes

ohhh shit… I know it. This is the beginning of the end. The end of my banc account. haha…

I really like a second oscillator or sub osc. There ist nothing from Moog (Eurorack Style) I think??

Start with one.
GAS again right after :smiley:

Seriously, Slim Phatty is 2 osc and CV capable, consider it. People are ditching it these days, you can have one for less than a M32 !

3 Likes

Minitaur is propably the most Moog for money in this list.

If you are after thick and juicy Moog sounds in the mid and low department, this synth with 2 VCOs and a Moog ladder filter, which can raise resonance without dropping low harmonics, would be great. It can store presets too.

Mother 32 as a single unit may sound good, but you will miss all the goodness of synths having 2 VCOs. If this is okay for you and patches don’t need to be stored, you will have some modular fun too. But I think, real modular fun starts with 2 or 3 M32 :wink:

The most flexible (non-modular) sound would be delivered by a Sub 37. With it’s many inviting knobs and switches on it’s panel and it’s sequencer it is Moog heaven for reasonable money.

But all of them deliver true Moog sound … :wink:

1 Like