Which drum machine to accompany Analog Four?

Yes I can use for anything I load up

its beautiful

My next step is a eurorack which I’ve already figured out how to use push as the sequencer via live and a midi cv converter

that should be pretty simple anyway… silent way expert sleepers etc etc…

1 Like

The problem is that I’m graphic designer and I spend 8-10 h looking at the screen :slight_smile: I have ableton live, but I don’t like idea that I need to spend more time to computer screen, so I choose analog devices :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That’s why the push… I spend all day on a computer at work too… I turn my screens off at times and just use the push…

“without all that silly mucking around in hyperspace”-Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy

Can anyone tell me - (Regarding live playing) can I make smooth transitions with Digitakt + Analog four, or I need to get Octatrack ?

It’s pretty hard to live record a loop within DT and change both DT and A4 patterns…
Now you might see ways to record it with a simple looper…
But for live sampling OT is still the best IMO.

speaking as a total Elektron n00b… only experience is with the Digitakt. I’ve sampled a lot of my hardware but more recently have been mucking about with the single-cycle waves and the factory samples. you can transform any of the existing samples instantly into granular/weird sounds (adjusting the start/end points), using the loop function… change the character, shape, quality of the sounds like it’s nothing. I have early projects in process, sometimes I’ll transition from a sculpted pattern to a bank lacking a sequence/pattern - the beat/rhythm/motion ceases, but the sound of the delay tails descending into empty space is beautiful. If you’re working with longer samples (30 seconds +), you can fire off an assigned trig (last resort) and determine which pattern you’d like to continue with as the sound(s) transpire. As for transitions between patterns, the Digitakt is very flexible (even malleable), as you can set the number of repetitions, time/space between trig events/cycles, pattern chaining, logic conditions etc. I’ve only been switching between patterns manually, making decisions on the fly (without haste) – no predetermined progression or fixed series of patterns yet… the ease and fluidity of it is great; the interface is intuitive, and I can only see it becoming simpler and more efficient (with less thought required) as I learn more. Can’t speak for interfacing with the Analog four, but operating the Digitakt, self-contained, is a breeze.

1 Like

Only OT can record and fade in/out a loop for a transition, but you can have a smooth transitions by adding another drums or other sounds manually.
Another way is to switch sounds from device A, to device B but it requires more machines:slight_smile:

2 Likes

The Octatrack really is wonderful if what you want is smooth transitions. You can have a bunch of inputs coming in, Master track FX, Scenes assigned to certain things like Filter Cutoff across your tracks for example. But I truly think of it as a live performance box, as it’s marketed. You could use the A4, and whatever else for your compositions, but in a live set the OT really shines. I would buy the Octatrack. You could also midi sequence your A4 to keep things all in the one box. Use the A4 for drums, sample phrases into the OT.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Thanks guys, it was very helpful. By the way, can you tell me what are you using for jam/live/performance ? I have TR-8, TB3, A4 and I’m planning to buy DT, because I don’t have enough energy to study another 200 page manual about OT. On the other hand, maybe I’m too much a newbie and can’t manage jamming 40-60 min with my setup…

i have a number of boxes that i use to write music but i try to keep live performances as “light” as possible. Meaning, 1-2 units if possible. Currently my live setup in a digitakt and a monomachine. I was using a few volcas (beat, keys, fm) and a monomachine live but have since sampled the volcas into into the digitakt to slim down the rig.

2 Likes

So if you are using MM and DT as live setup, so maybe I can manage to use DT and A4 ? I mean maybe it’s possible?

im sure you could pull it off with just the a4 and the dt

1 Like

Of course it is.
Try, find your own way, and when your reach a wall try another way :slight_smile:
Everyone their workflow…
The only thing that is a must IMO is to take the time to really learn your instruments. It can take years. But for me it’s a delight to learn to master a synth like A4…

5 Likes

You can make all sorts of transitions but they are made by changing patterns on the sequencers either separately or in sync with program change, and can also involve muting/unmuting tracks, using fx and performance macros, and other tricks…
The DT doesn’t act as a looper where you can sample the audio and use that for a transition, but still there’s all sorts of ways to make them…
You certainly can rock a house with a DT + A4…

2 Likes

OK guys, thanks a lot for the help, just ordered Digitakt :slight_smile:

2 Likes