Which drum machine to accompany Analog Four?

Hello,

I own A4 and now I’m planing to buy “drum machine”, but I can’t decide which one should I choose ? Rytm or Digitakt ? Any recommendations ? Thanks.

As usual, and to sum up what was said over the course of the last 3842 messages in this thread, the answer to that is an inevitable ‘both’.
Saying that having an A4 and AR myself, and a DT on pre-order.

1 Like

what are your needs?

if you really need drum synthesis / analog flavor, then AR.

if you wanna spend less money / not get drum synthesis, then the DT.

remember, the DT will have 8 tracks of MIDI you can put to use as well…

1 Like

Now I have Roland TR-8 as drum machine and I want to sell it and buy something more “flexible” and “smarter” :slight_smile:

Getting a Rytm is in itself a good idea anyways. It is after all pretty much the most advanced drum machine to date IMHO

1 Like

Find a used MDUW! the sounds compliment each other like soul mates

I know a person is selling theirs on here for a pretty good price!

1 Like

MDUW and Dgitakt

I have an AK and up to this point, I’ve been using my eurorack modular for percussion duties. I preordered the DT and patiently waiting. It will fulfill my needs and then some. I only have a few MIDI devices so tracks 8-16 will get some use.
It’s all in what your needs and budget are.
-Rich

1 Like

I’ve an A4 and MD. I had a rytm but replaced it with the MD. I’ll concur the MD n A4 gel really well. they seem to sit really well in the sonic space one being digital n one being analog.
the sound isn’t the only factor tho, you’d want to like the MD and its workflow too otherwise it won’t matter how good it sounds you’ll just hate using it.
they sound deadly tho :slight_smile:

1 Like

and iPad with Patterning…

1 Like

MD UW + Sonic Potions LXR. Digi will limit you to samples only and the Rytm’s Analog Engines will easily sound boring after a while :slight_smile: And Samples on the Rytm are … lets not talk about that :wink:

If you dont have much money, go for the LXR only. You can buy a pre-assembled one or build it yourself. In the latter case its really cheap and this thing sounds amazing - for sure!

2 Likes

I LOVED the way samples sounded on the RYTM. Nice and toasty. I don’t want to say you’re crazy…

…but you’re crazy

2 Likes

I also love samples on the Rytm, but managing them is a nightmare.

2 Likes

Thanks guys, my budget is ~1400e, and I want something from Elektron. So I can’t decide RYTM or Digitakt? So if somebody will get his Digitakt next month, please let me know your thoughts.

Here’s the latest forum opinions on Rytm:

1 Like

If it HAS to be between those two to accompany the A4 I’d say go digitakt. Quickly expand your # of voices, sample drum patches into it, and the percussion will better mesh with the sound of the A4. In my experience, the A4/AR sound combo did not naturally sound good together.

Also, the midi will be helpful. You can use it like a game genie to provide certain features not available on the A4(like plocked arp)

However, just one more thing to argue my first point:

5 Likes

It depends on what you want and what you already have. Do you want a drum synth with annoying workarounds to using samples? Or do you want a drum sampler? Do you already own gear that you can use to sample from? Like other synths or drum machines? Do you like working with samples? I prefer using samples if the file saving and loading is easy to work with. So for me digitakt would be my choice.

1 Like

AR

they are brother and sister in every way

nothing can compete with the AR sonically, including with samples … individual outs etc

end of thread

made for each other, plus soon sample import will be just the same as on the DT

No MIDI sequencing though, unlikely, but not 100% off the table either

3 Likes

Now I have A4, TB-3, TR-8, as I said before I want to sell my tr-8 and upgrade to something more flexible. I do not own any gear that can sample things, so I don’t have any experience in sampling :slight_smile: