Which drum machine to accompany Analog Four?

No it won’t. Sampling is NOT the same as sample import.

Well digitakt would be a good way to learn sampling. And you could sample your tr8 before selling it to start creating your own sample library. Then you can still sample off the Internet, songs etc.

1 Like

That’s why i quite clearly wrote import !

2 Likes

that’s not true that nothing can compete. The AR, DT and MD all have their strengths and weaknesses. and they’ll all sound killer with the A4. just depends what your flavour is. but the AR isn’t intrinsically better than either of the other 2.

Another Great Video… :elmd: Nice Build! Thanks

the op wanted opinions, it’s a subjective matter … but it’s not subjective that the AR and A4 are the closest siblings in the Elektron family, both in terms of styling, architecture and crucially ux/workflow

they seem like very natural sidekicks to one another, but may be too related sonically for some as well

1 Like

Yip totally. and I was just giving my opinion on your opinion, which could also be beneficial to the OP.
innit :slight_smile:

I would go for DT.
It seems simple yet powerful.
Can go in territories unreachable from A4.
You can sample a fat kick from A4 and reuse it.
Get familiar with sampling, and use samples as wavetables or reverse them and get sick effects…
As much as I love AR, for the price you get DT + AH if you want :wink:

1 Like

I have a TR-8 and Rytm. Bought each twice. Probably will keep both for good. Might add a Digitakt in the future, depending on final specs and reviews.

To compliment your TR-8 & A4, choosing between Rytm and Digitakt, I’d personally choose the Digitakt.

I think of it as 1. Sound sources and 2. Samples/Sampling.

Sound source = TR-8. Not as broad as Rytm, obviously. But TR-8 is all sweet-spot.
Sound source = Rytm. Very broad. Lots of sculpting potential. But I don’t use a lot of weird blips and chirps and glitchy sounds in my music, so I usually end up on some variation of classic analog drum machine sounds no matter how long I tweak the Rytm! Rytm’s sculpting potential might be wasted on me.

Samples/Sampling = Rytm. Can only import pre-made samples. (Use SDS-Drop app!)
Samples/Sampling = Digitakt. Can actually sample other gear and internally resample, and import pre-made samples. Clear winner, imo.

Other = Rytm. Has some great master FX and performance features like Perf and Scene.
Other = Digitakt. Has unknown, as of now, master FX. The few demos I’ve heard, the filter and other digital fx on DT sound great. I’m sure the master FX will too. And it has the beloved cntrl-ALL feaure. Also has MIDI sequencing, something that is irritatingly lacking on the Rytm, imo.

Also, you already have an A4, which can do a lot of sounds that the Rytm can do. Similar sounding engines. If you sample those to Digitakt, might be enough of that palette.

Personally -

I prefer Digitakt in sample/sampling category.

I prefer Digitakt in performance features. I also would use the MIDI sequencing.

I’m split between TR-8 & Rytm’s drum synth sounds. TR-8 is so quick and easy and no menus. Rytm is fun to dive in and tweak endlessly. Different machines for different moods, imo. I think I do tend to prefer TR-8 sounds in general character, once all is said and done. They are classics for a reason. Like a strat, piano, or acoustic drums. Yes, they’ve been around forever but my ear does not tire of them (then again, I still get a thrill listening to the same old Keith Richards guitar work after 30+ years, ymmv). You can always run them through fx as well. Again, A4 can do great variety of drum sounds as well.

1. TR-8 for quick hand-on classic drum sounds. All sweet-spot, no menu diving. Easy to jam on.
  2. A4 for incredible synth and sequencer. Can design analog drum sounds on this as well.
  3. Digitakt for sampling anything and everything from TR-8, A4, etc. Can also sequence other MIDI gear.

Fun group of machines right there!

In the end, think of your music and your favorite sounds, and evaluate machines based on that, not just specs. Will a machine get you where you want to go, sonically? All the cool specs in the world won’t help if you don’t have any interest in the general tone of a machine, etc.

1 Like

Thanks for very detailed replay, was very helpful. But I want to ask you, what is better companion for live paying - Rytm or Digitakt ? Or maybe I need Octatrack for smooth transitions ? I really don’t know how that (live playing) works on these machines. Thanks.

to be honest I’d be happy with any of the 3 for live use. the octatrack is excellent for transitions but then it’s not as immediate as a drum machine than the AR and DT.
it should come down to what exactly your needs are.
AR for analog drums at your fingertips.
octatrack is excellent for drum loops.
DT for easy instant sampling unless you want extra in-depth manipulation then it would be octatrack.

Can I make smooth transitions with AR and A4 ?

well they only have instant pattern change, but you can get creative with delay n reverb n also make some transitiony type patterns too. but with the octatrack cross-fader and sample buffers you can smoothly transition between tunes.

get a TR-03… sooooo much fun.

Thanks, I have TB-3 :wink: Looking for some Elektron drum machine, and asking maybe someone knows can I do smooth transitions with it.

Unless your not using a daw at all Id say ableton and push 2.

Honestly push 2 is the centre of my workspace I even trigger the AR from it. Can load any sample, slice any loops, turn any track into a loop in seconds with the waveform and warp points on screen on the unit.

Load any plugin and load up any piece of hardware in seconds and sequence on the pads with a universe of controls zero fuss… Can assign any midi cc to the knobs and record the automation and easily switch between hardware or plugin. Effects chains both hardware and software on an easy to read lcd screen.

I don’t even have to touch the computer or mouse if I don’t want to. I have a library setup up that comes up on the push screen-

-Synth
-Sampler
-Compressor
-Distortion
-Limiter
-Delay
-Reverb
-Multieffects
-Stereo
etc…

With both hardware and software sitting in each folder and loadable from the push. Analog synths sitting next to Va’s siting next to plugins and can feed one to the other and create effects chains.

Push 2 is the best piece of “hardware” I’ve ever touched. That plus the analog drums of the Ar turns my setup into a dream machine. The Tr8 compliments the AR beautifully they both seem to be lacking something without each other but its a match made in the deepest level of hades.

Sample management is a bloody pain on the AR though cmon Elektron we need a librarian badly!

But we should all feel extremely lucky and thank the universe to live in a time where such technology is available. Ten years ago was only dreamed of…

1 Like

I’ve thought about this a bit in the past and always thought the machinedrum would compliment the A4 best. It’s drum sounds are clean and go with the more organic analogue sounds IMO.

2 Likes

an example of just some of the things I can load on the push and use like hardware

And a snapshot of a small part of template of what you can do in ableton and reach with the push 2 like hardware

Did you have to use midi learn for the parameters? I can use Push 2 with whatever I load up in Live… have you done something different?