Which Dilla album should I start with?

Soulquarians HQ was at Electric Lady.

I need sources before I believe so many were done with the SP.

I was listening to Unseen the other day. Gorgeous record. I need to get it on vinyl.

1 Like

:doughnut::doughnut::doughnut:

I remember either reading it in Scratch magazine or electronic musician. No link to the article. The quote goes something like « the sp-303 was used more often because he was bedridden and couldn’t stand and walk to the living room in LA where the 3000 was. That’s all I remember reading

2 Likes

To be a naysayer, I found Donuts to be too happy sounding.

Fantastic Vol 2 by Slum Village I would recommend every day of the week

7 Likes

Madlib’s work is vast and shares alot of the DNA but just never hit me the same way. Dillas shit always made me want to go make music.
Was blowout comb 9th wonder using fruity loops?

2 Likes

3 Likes

I was listening to that at work right before I got Donuts! Lol

1 Like

Also more MPC nerd stuff. He had a 2000 classic as an alternate MPC that he had from the late 90s and gave it to Waajeed in the early 2000s. I remember seeing an MPC 2000 ad where it was put next to a 3000 and the headline was « twice as phat half the size ».

1 Like

He was a genius in so many ways

The stuff he did with Pharcyde was insanely good:

3 Likes

Blowout comb came out in 1994. Was fruityloops already out? I have the cd somewhere here, no idea who produced it and what they used.

I was not so much into music making at that time, was too busy dating girls and going out in general :wink:

Yea, RZA’s Liquid Swords is awesome. Blahay Blahzay with blah blah blah from '96 and of course Mobb Deep’s Infamous '95 record.

Great suggestions in this thread
 I would also suggest checking out Petestrumentals by pete rock. Dilla idolized pete when he started out, and most of the stuff pete rock did on his sp1200 is classic.

4 Likes

:ok_hand::ok_hand:

this is a nice channel, doing instrumental mixes of all the greats. Maybe also a good introduction

2 Likes

If you ever get the chance to see Abstract Orchestra just go. Pretty much Donuts live

2 Likes

So are you into shabazz? I fkn love shabazz.

3 Likes

I have not been following his music after digital planets, but I like what I am hearing now for sure.

added:
watched a few YT’s and Like his style a lot, just doing it in his own way and no fancy pants ego games!

He also gives that message: just do your thing and keep it simple, stupid.

Edit:
Yea of course “Digable”, autocorrection on IOS is not that smart :totes:

1 Like

Always. Ishmael is a singular artist.

1 Like

The timestretching sounds like good ol’ Ableton Live to me.

Digable planets made a song called « 9th wonder ». This could either be produced by legendary King Britt or DJ Jedi. There could of also been a ghost writer.

9th wonder the producer came from a group called « Little Brother ». He not only did little brother material but tracks for Beyoncé. Now I think he evolved from fruity loops to MPC and now Maschine.

1 Like

You are the Encyclopedia Hiphopia !

1 Like