Which Dilla album should I start with?

Jaylib “Champion Sound” and “Welcome 2 Detroit” are both really strong. “Donuts” seems to be the crossover album for him with building an audience with electronic music folks. I also really like the “Fuck the Police” single.

Those would be my suggestions.

3 Likes

slum beat but i love phifes delivery on this one

1 Like

From what I gathered through various articles, he indeed composed Donuts on an sp303 and a portable turntable with records brought to him by his friends while he was living his last moments. But his favorite instrument was indeed the mpc3000, yeah.

1 Like

Definitely Donuts, but since we’re just posting tracks:

2 Likes

You’re right that it doesn’t require a lot of gear, but, with all due respect to your position, I don’t think just anyone could create something on the level of Dilla, Q-Tip, Wu-Tang, Shadow, etc. using just what those guys had available to them.

Some of us have rooms full of stuff, a few stuffs, one stuff, and we still don’t make anything. No disrespect, that might not be everyone’s goal, but practicing and creating something quality using their techniques sounds tough to me.

But that’s just me.

3 Likes

Thank you all for your recommendations! Feel free to keep the tracks and recommendations coming.

Got Donuts in the headphones for the commute home. I like that I can play it in front of the kids and dance with them without worrying about language. :dancer:

3 Likes

Fuuuuu… didn’t know that version till now. Straight fire.

1 Like

Beat tape 3… Most inspiring to me.

1 Like

The crazy thing is dilla wasn’t even recognized as one of the greats by the majority of fans while he was alive. I remember some hiphop heads who where deep into the underground stuff name dropping him sometimes, but only after he passed and donuts dropped he blew up to the legendary proportions we now know him by. Back then pete rock. Rza and premier were seen as the bigger names

To me the special thing about him is he could make a bunch of vinyl records and an mpc 3000 sound like HIM every time. He had such a unique sound and cadence its instantly recognisable. Most current boombap/lofi is influenced by him in some way.

Allthough i love donuts, i think his style is most obvious in albums like champion sound and ruff draft.

first joint i l0ved, had no idea or care he was involved when i was 16, then sv, donuts is brill but not the best (imo etc)

had never heard this radio edit before, wonder who chose the censor sounds… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would just skip Dilla - with all respect - and go straight to Madlib’s catalogue.

The unseen, is probably one of my favourite hiphop albums together with digable planets’ Blowout Comb. YMMV

3 Likes

crazy post as the unseen is my favourite hip hop production

but don’t skip dilla

3 Likes

yes you are right, don’ t skip dilla, but the unseen mannnn is so tight and everywhere at the same time - it’s (do)nuts.

1 Like

Haha the unseen is one of my all time favs as well… timeless album

Dilla and madlib are both great but i do feel dilla has had more influence on other music (neo soul and hiphop especially) while madlib is basicly a genre on its own haha.

1 Like

Dilla and Madlib are often put in the same bag soundwise, but IMO their styles have nothing in common.

That’s a bit like the “Dilla inspired / lofi / boombap” bag. Dilla is everything but lofi, his fingerdrumming style was pushed to absolute perfection and all his production choices were deliberate. And a lot of his output wasn’t boombap at all. For me, lofi and boombap have not much in common anyway, besides the DIY ethos.

/rant

3 Likes

Yeah the unseen is awesome

Early rza is still my fav. Liquid swords has the greatest vibe

10 Likes

another timeless classic if you’re into sampled beats

1 Like

My first intro to Dilla was in high school (in the 90’s, graduated in 98) when I fell in love with Tribe Called Quest & Busta Rhymes. Actually saw both live in the late 90’s, great shows.

It’s crazy how many songs Dilla produced, a lot of great mentions above as well. No idea what I would start with, just listen, continue listening & I’m sure many tracks will become your own Dilla favorites :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Factoids I have on his studio setup. I don’t have sources but this is from

D’Angelo “voodoo”: Was MPC 3000, but D’Angelo also used an EPS16+ keyboard to write the melody. Mixed in Electric Lady studios on SSL 4000E. I went to a photo exhibit Waajeed did and I saw pictures of the 4000E console room with Dilla and D’Angelo. Primo and alchemist were also in the background of these pictures.

Common “Like Water for Chocolate”: MPC 3000. He also used an E-MU PK-6 keyboard for bread and butter sounds. Mixed in Electric Lady studios on SSL 4000E for many of the tracks.

Common “Electric Circus” : MPC 3000, Minimoog Voyager. A majority of the tracks mixed on the SSL 9000K series console.

Jaylib: MPC 3000, mikrokorg, SP-303, Rough draft beats written on 2000XL during the writing period.

Donuts: 30/31 written on sp-303. 1 track written on MPC 3000.

5 Likes