Which Dilla album should I start with?

I think my head is ready: which Dilla/Dilla produced album should I start with?

1 Like

start with DONUTS!! it’s a masterpiece and remembering that he did it all from a hospital bed with an Sp-303 and a mini turntable is good anti-GAS

21 Likes
  1. Slum Village - Fantastic Vol. 2
  2. Dilla - Donuts
  3. Dilla - Welcome 2 Detroit
  4. Slum Village - Fan-Tas-Tic Vol. 1
  5. Dilla/Madlib - Champion Sound
16 Likes

Any hip hop documentary is the anti-GAS.

Me: “Oh you made this with a crate of records and an MPC?”

Also Me: (Shuts the fcuk up and sits down)

11 Likes

Wasn’t it mpc3000?

3 Likes

hmm, i’m poking around - people definitely talk about the sp303 in this context, but it seems it’s more of an urban legend anyway.

3 Likes

Yeah, I heard the SP-303 thing was a myth/misquote. As an SP-303 owner for almost 20 years I can’t even begin to fathom how Dilla would have done some of the things on Donuts on that machine…

4 Likes

I think that legend is a bit exaggerated…

But does nothing to Donuts’ masterpiece status.

Slum Village vol 1 and 2, Jaylib “Champion Sound” and Dillanthology vol 1

4 Likes

Its not possible. I have an SP303 and it doesn’t even sound like one.

the original “The Red”

The biggest tragedy of copyright culture.

6 Likes

to be fair, a crate of records brings quite a lot of melodies, sounds and vibe to the table, you’d otherwise had to write yourself.
I’m a big fan of flipping samples, and I think it requires great ear and feeling, but you don’t need a lot of equipment to chop up samples. No pun against Dilla, I love many of his beats, though I adore other producers.

5 Likes

Welcome 2 Detroit: His production is obviously celebrated, but he was also a great mixer/engineer. I think this record really shows that.

Then, move onto Slum Village: Fantastic, Vol. 2 for his wide variety of musical styles he was able to create within hip-hop. His production here has no fat.

3 Likes

YES. I used to have this instrumental on vinyl and inexplicably sold it on eBay during a trying financial time :man_facepalming: Really wish I’d held on to it.

2 Likes

We should petition Cris Williamson to clear it.

Go for Donuts. Get it out of your system. After that, anything goes.

1 Like

D’Angelos “Voodoo” might as well be his. And this is most definitely his beat, to hell with official credits

Also one of my favorites

5 Likes

Stressed out is still my favourite Dilla joint

4 Likes

My fav Dilla beat:

3 Likes

The “Ma Dukes” instrumental is heavenly

2 Likes

Donuts!!! After that, you will be inspired to dig through his while catalog.

1 Like

I always loved this one. So simple.

2 Likes