Where is Overbridge development status at?

Not all of them (just the most stable ones), because it make no sense to deliver obviously buggy versions.

2 Likes

Makes sense, that’s what I would assume. What I said still stands though of course, all users have access to a very current release which contains the change log which is valuable for anyone wishing to know current state of OB2, history of releases, and issues that still need addressed.

The “delay” between a stable private and public beta release isn’t really long. So “yes” all users have access to a very current release and the attached information.

The available information is all the information that can be honestly given without adding a long list of restrictions. Everything else (like an ETA) would be simply guessing due to the nature of playing catch with the involved operating systems, which are moving targets (every new OS release from Apple or MS can introduce the next bunch of problems).

2 Likes

Yeah not sure you are correct because it has less latency from the overbridge plugins and having latency compensation on in ableton has no effect on the overbridge plugins.
IMO there is something different going on. normal plugins don’t have there own clock and transport settings

The OB plugin doesn’t have its own clock and transport. You can simply choose to not have OB sync to the clock/transort of daw.

1 Like

Man I just tested it again, with clock and transport on in the plugin I get no latency. As soon as I switch it off and go into ableton preferences switch sync on there is noticeable half a beat latency there is some extra latency compensation going on when you have the plugins clock and transport on… this is with both delay compensation and reduced latency when monitoring on in ableton on

Either way I’ve got everything synced but I was only able to achieve this by using the clock from the overbridge plugins then chain my other gear to the elektron stuff

It wasn’t always there, with closed beta I turned off clock+transport in OB, set my Motu interface midi sync delay to the a setting which would sync all my hardware including midi notes being sent to them, I would then save this template and that was that… everything synced up perfectly.

Then when I installed the Puclic beta I noticed that the moment OB opened I saw something running briefly in the top corner that said ‘latency compensation’ or something like that. This was before I even had entered the clock settings on OB… this threw my whole sync off for the project which meant I had to re-tune everything, only this time it is a lot more difficult. I then saved the template again thinking that would be that but then realised that now every time the project opened this latency thing would run. So it’s not the normal behaviour for plugins and it definitely does have some impact on the systems clock when it first opens.

Now granted it is months since I last used it, maybe this has changed since? I can’t check it because OB doesn’t work for me at all anymore, it just doesn’t recognise the devices (latest firmware on machines and latest version of OB). Although when I installed the latest OB a few weeks back I got a pop up box saying that the clock must be synced through OB, so this doesn’t give me the impression that anything has changed since I last used it.

This is interesting, once the ‘devices not detected’ issue gets resolved I may have a look into this. The problem with syncing through OB is that I am also sending midi to certain hardware through USB directly and I found it impossible to sync up when using OB as the clock, as opposed to the interface where I can just adjust the midi sync in preferences. Either way, it should be an option, it supposedly is given that you can turn clock + transport off, this feature seems pointless if you are forced to have OB send the clock from the DAW.

P.s I also recognise you from your youtube channel, your videos have been useful :+1:

I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong but Overbridge’s timing actually appears to be a bit early for me. If I record audio or MIDI notes from my Digitakt while synced up to OB, they come in ahead of the beat by about 10ms. Happens in both Ableton and Bitwig, so I’m not sure what’s going on there.

Plugin latency has always been there. It’s the nature of how OB works. The OB plugin adds plugin delay and always has. :slight_smile: But that’s not the point here.

Ableton offers multiple ways to correct latency issues (track delay for instance) when using midi

I think it’s just a matter of choosing one or the other and set up compensation for that as needed. If you are going to switch from one to the other without readjusting things of course some differences may occur.

I must admit I don’t have other devices with USB midi other than elektron. So I can’t test nor troubleshoot this. But I’m still not sure I see the point of not syncing through the OB plugin. You say you have problems when you do, another user says he has problems when he doesn’t… :wink:

1 Like

I noticed this as well in studio one 4. As if the daw is over compensating. Might be ticket worthy. I solve it by setting a track delay. But it is strange.

Reading threads like these, it’s so hard to get an opinion on Overbridge. From the outside, it seems a complete mess. But my experience tells me, it’s usually those with issues that make their voice heard. Those content, just get on with it. All the same, it’s really hard to know if it’s just chance and luck that determines if OB will work or not, or if it’s stable for 99% of its users.

1 Like

That’s why I try to show a bit of the positive side as well and to keep the conversation factual when it comes to certain terms etc.
Don’t think Ive seen many windows users having problems. Just Catalina users for the most part. Which sucks but is not surprising

1 Like

DAW companies (like Ableton) should develop an algorithm to calculate the overall Latency of any studio setup. I don’t know why we are still struggling with Latencies in 2020. They should go easy with non-technical Artists.

Let’s admit that a big part of our anger comes from Latency.

I think Steinberg Cubase is very good at calculating the overall Latency and compensate very well.

1 Like

It may have always been there but it didn’t always recalculate it every time the project loaded. By turning off clock and transport and saving your settings you could bypass it throwing your project out of sync. As I recall the problem with syncing through the OB plugin was exactly that… being able to sync instruments I was sending midi to through usb separately. Anyway, thanks for the feedback… I’ll revisit it once I can get OB working again, anyone any ideas why it no longer recognises the devices at all? I see another thread someone made about this but there has been no updates or solutions posted there that I can see. (Latest machine OS’s, latest version of OB installed, High Sierra OS)

As a complete Elektron noob, I bought a Digitakt a week ago and getting Overbridge running wasnt so bad, I had to uninstall it once and re install once Win7 had detected the Digitakt.
I had it running in Reason where I did 50/50 in the DT and Reason, very cool how they synced.

I did get a bluescreen of death and the DT crashed when I was autotuning a sample in DAW. I was playing start and stop very fast to hear the precise moment a tone shift happened and repeating this a few seconds crashed windows and the DT. Also starting the project again with Overbridge just flat out crashed windows again with bluescreen.

But not so bad. Before buying i had read mostly negative things so I was suprised at how easy it was go get set up and running :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was using the VST and they were synced. Maybe not smart for DAW side editing like thiss. I read afterwards you can change sync (clock?) settings

I have found, generating automation, from the box and in the VST will cause it to crash.
One or the other is fine tho.

I wiped my post cuz, I’m not recalling 100% what I did and did not want to mislead.
But I have experienced what i mentioned above. Dunno why you would do both, I was just testing stuff. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Dave not trying to prove anything I’ve seen you videos you actually helped me get overbridge working when I first got my gear.
but I just by chance happened to watch a dataline YouTube video about overbridge and he says that the overbridge sync is not midi sync it is a new custom technology developed by elektron and it made me think about the conversation on this thread…

overbridge is different it has a different latency to the regular sync in the ableton options and Basically it does have its own clock and transport…

It backs up what I’ve been saying to people that have sync issues
Overbridge sync is tighter than regular midi sync so I’ve been saying use overbridge and take the midi from elektron device then chain it to non elektron gear as that’s how I run my setup and it works,

about 6 minutes in
2 Likes

Yes the solution I have found is to take midi clock from your elektron device with a midi cable to keep all the clock from the same source you can still use USB just take clock and transport from the midi… I had the exact same problem this fixed it…