Where is Overbridge development status at?

Good to know thanks.

This is incorrect, the beta has been public for some time so we = all Elektronauts. Not offended at all, you were just saying you deserve some sort of update and I’m just saying, you’re getting them. Just not in some sort of press release, but rather as actual updates to the software with change logs for each release. It doesn’t come with debugging logs, it comes with a list of changes from the previous version so you are able to see how the development has progressed as well as issues that still need to be addressed. Just letting you know that your wish is essentially already granted…

4 Likes

Works flawlessly for me.

I can only speak for my Rytm mk2 but so far, after very minimal set up overbridge works extremely well with ableton 10 and Logic Pro. I use it to multitrack and slave to ableton clock with other external instruments. I’m pretty impressed on the whole.

2 Likes

You can aggregate multiple audio interfaces in Windows as well but last time I had tried it (4 years ago) I wasn’t happy with the latency. Could’ve also been that I was using a Focusrite 2i4 and a Steinberg UR44. Not exactly two high-end cards.

I believe Jack Audio Router was what I was using:

https://jackaudio.org/

Edit: I also think there’s an ASIO4ALL component that needs to be in play here as well.

Yeah that’s true. No idea how good that works. All I know is that windows’ architecture isn’t really built for it. Interesting to try it out sometime

2 Likes

Hrm, i thought that you could only do two of the same card with ASIO4ALL. Either way, it’s effectively not a good solution.

Perhaps someone is happy with it, but theoretically possible doesn’t mean anyone is necessarily using it :stuck_out_tongue:

I certainly don’t see any guides online, don’t see people posting in Gearslutz, Reddit, Muffwigglers who have it working.

I gave up on it a long time back too but I still check in once in a while to see if there’s any progress but then I find out has devolved (it is now unusable in a daw environment where you are using other syths and an interfaced - why? I’m blue in the face asking this question) in comparison to it’s usability in the closed beta stage.

I know whining about it isn’t productive, but c’mon it’s been over 2 years, about time Elektron stop advertising this as a feature on their products and maybe just surprise people when (or if) it’s ready.

1 Like

Don’t forget that it is FREE!

Devolved it is certainly not. Windows version is stable.
Catalina has been problematic, as it had been for most audio software devs.

4 Likes

I see it as devolved because it is no longer usable for me at all. I was happy with how it worked in the closed beta (or oven on the original OB), I could use my Motu interface to send midi clock to my Elektrons and other hardware, sync it all up accordingly and just use Overbridge for it’s UI and Modulation possibilities, since the public beta they introduced this ‘Latency compensation’ thing that runs the moment you open OB whether you have ‘clock off’ or not, this throws everything out of sync and makes it impossible because this runs everytime a project is loaded.

I recently gave it a try to see if they had realised this was a problem but it now has a disclaimer that OB has to to handle the clock. Sorry if I seem negative but I’ve asked so many times why it’s like this and I don’t understand how other people use it in conjuction with other hardware, please advise me if I am missing something? It’s just frustrating because it wasn’t like this before so I don’t understand the reasoning.

Well actually OB doesn’t detect devices at all for me now but I know that will obviously be somehow resolved, whatever is going on there, that’s not the issue it’s this hardware sync which doesn’t look like it’s going to change.

Are you sure you have all the latest firmware on all machines?
Do you have beta 2.0.3.1 running?

Midi clock is automatically send through USB. Your Elektron that use OB are therefore synced. No need to run midi from audio interface to your elektrons. You could use midi out or thru of Elektron machines to other hardware as well as from you audio interface.

Depends a bit on which os you are using but you could even create an aggregated device to run an Elektron as audio interface together with your motu (OSX).

OB isn’t really handling the clock by the way. Your DAW is. OB just automatically syncs to it. Hope this helps a bit :slight_smile:

3 Likes

you Can switch off clock and transport at the top of the plugins to use the regular settings in Abletons midi preferences, but I find if you run the clock to everything from the plugins it is syncing tighter.

I do have it all working good I’m not having problems but there definitely is a difference in latency from the clock coming from the plugins compared to Turning on sync in ableton preferences it may be all coming from the daw but it is handled differently with latency

That’s plugin latency which is normal and has always been there :slight_smile: As long as you keepyour DAW as master and let the devices sync through OB you should be fine. It’s something that’s just what it is. Automatic plugin latency should fixes it and the only downside would be if you were to live drum on the rytm for instance. But even then you could use direct monitoring.

5 Likes

Hey Dave, this is off subject but I dig ur channel for sometime.
It would be cool to see more db4 live looping and stuff.
Maybe I need to watch the secret weapon one again but reguardless an in-depth one of many loop situations would be rad.
Pretty cool what you are doing

1 Like

Just to get this straight: there is still a private beta going on with a bunch of people from the forum here … :wink:

1 Like

After the previously closed beta had come to an end a new one was started by private invitations.

So, yeah, there are people out there who have access to versions which are not public beta yet (to iron out bugs before hitting all users).

1 Like

I was part of the private beta but was not aware there are releases not available in the public beta. Haven’t been following that closely though.

Ah I see. Thanks for the info! I’m guessing each private beta release turns into the public beta release after a bit, is that correct?