Where do you have your heat in your signal chain?

So far I’ve only used the AH with the digitakt…love it for drums mainly.

:3lektron::elan::heat: :3lektron::elan::heat: :3lektron::elan::heat:
I love having the Heat right after my not-so-secret weapon Korg DS-8.
It beefs up the low end on basses and also brings out the bittersweet whiny aliasing dirt embedded in that cheap mid-80s wannabe DX7 FM engine…
:3lektron::elan::heat: :3lektron::elan::heat: :3lektron::elan::heat:

1 Like

Hi guys,

I have an Analog heat and I’m very happy with it as a processor in my production workflow, it really has a good versatility to bring the best out of sounds, like thump in drums, saturation in pads, sound design in flat sounding sounds ect…

How would you use it in a live setting, would you just process the whole settup through it as the last piece of the mix chain or would you process only certain aspects of the set up through it?

Check this thread out

1 Like

thanks man

What?

At some point that post was merged into this thread as it was a response to the previous post which was originally the start of another similar thread. It was pointing to this thread here as one where the same discussion was happening.

Not sure why you felt you needed an explanation for it 9 days after rather than just pass it by seeing as it was not a direct response to anything you said

I simply wondered what post you were trying to link to? It even looked like you were having fun. :upside_down_face: The dangers of posts being merged!

The very first one as I was “showing” the poster I was responding to that this thread existed. So the poster didn’t miss out on a discussion it seemed the poster may be interested in participating. Now the thread and the post I was responding to are one as the mods seemed to have merged them.

It usually says when something is merged, weird that it doesn’t

Apologies if I’m coming off snippy, don’t mean too

No worries.

A patchbay is useful if you have many more instruments than you have mixer connections, and when you only want to connect one instrument at a time to the AH. If you only have two instruments that might be connected to the AH, you can just as easily switch the cables between them.

If you want to send signals from more than one instrument at a time to the AH, you need a mixer. If the aux sends and returns of your main mixer are unacceptable to you, there are plenty of discussions on the forum about various small mixers that you could use. Have you tried connecting the AH to your X18?

2 Likes

I can try using the Aux channels on my X18. Latency and unwanted extra D/A conversion are the reasons against this. And this is what motivates me to think about a sub mixer. Keep it Analog for as much as possible is what would be best, of course. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m curious how others are using the Heat in your rigs? Do you tend to use the Heat with a single box (A4 or OT) or run your entire rig thru the Heat?

I use a mixer and have the Heat plugged into the Aux Sends/Returns. This allows me to dial in how much signal I want sent in/out of the Heat for the devices in my rig.

I’m just not sure I’m getting the best fidelity from the sound by going this route.

Ideas?

I use the Heat on the cue out of my OT, and have most of my drum machines and grooveboxes going through a mixer into the OT input, so I can apply Heat to any of those through the OT. If I want to apply it to a synth that is not going through the OT, I will get the synth part down, bounce to .wav, import into the OT and send it from the cue out to the Heat, and record into a DAW.

3 Likes

I’m using an AH for the subtle sum compression/saturation/glue on LR and one for way more obvious effects on PFL AUX.

1 Like

For my live rig I use the Heat as a subtle yet noticeable saturation effect on my master output. It compresses everything very slightly in a pleasant way as well. I’m also experimenting with the filter as a master effect by using the envelope follower and lfo.

Heat as master FX at the end of signal chain. Planning to have one for separate box as well after getting the second Heat. Heat has dry/wet regulator built in so no need to use it as a send in mixer.

1 Like

I Have it as an Aux on my fireface Ucx. I use it as an insert though, total mix is a breeze to use for that. I find it sounding better, and easier to use as an insert with the mix dial on the heat!

skip the mixer…use the ot for that…and hell yeah, run the cue outs of the ot through the heat…

so u can always decide on the fly what to crunch and cream up with the heat and what not, while taking all the advantage from the heat with it’s own wet and dry options…

and in the gig situation all you provide is two stereo signals from the ot to the standard dj mixer of the house…

So, how would the routing work if I ditched the mixer? I have an OT, A4, AR and Heat. Can I, for example, pass the AR outputs into the A4 EXT IN? Or is it best to use the OT A/B and C/D Inputs? If I passed the CUE from he OT to the Heat, where would the Heat Main Out go?

Sorry, so the confusion.