Where are the mixers with Stereo Aux Sends?

the analog feel plus multitrack recording and 6 AUX sends

2 Likes

Mono I presume?

The L/R sides of the stereo signal sum together to feed each aux in mono but can be changed using an internal jumper so that L feeds auxes 1, 3 and R feeds auxes 2, 4. The auxes are always post-EQ.

1 Like

Ok that s cool

But a max of 2 full featured stereo channels :frowning:

ok, so you basically get stereo sends, only drawback being you have two knobs, one for each channel, which you have to balance yourself - rather than a single knob.

And the advantage is mostly negated by not having more than 2 stereo channels anyway… for stereo signals split on 2 mono channels the situation remains exactly the same as without the option. Now if they had put at least 4 stereo channels on it…

I get one of these:

http://motu.com/products/avb/8a/specs.html

Standalone Operation, Web Mixer Interface via ipad.
expansion possible with external preamp, up to 64 port.

Can work on Ethernet network aswell as Thunderbolt and USB3.

• chaining multiple interfaces.
  • low latency 1.6 ms with thunderbolt 1.9 ms with USB3.
  • analog compressor emulation.
  • proofen record of delivering good interfaces
  • isnt as heavy as a QuPac 11kg vs 1kg.

Negative:

• no recording without computer. Mixing /Auditioning /Jamming is possible.

In addition to all the good answers above, you might consider an alternative approach like adding a separate matrix mixer device like a Shure Auxpander to a good basic mixer.
http://www.shure.com/americas/support/find-an-answer/tips-for-using-auxpander

Before I downsized my setup, I had two Auxpanders. Each Auxpander could provide four additional stereo aux sends, allowing (nearly) everything in my setup to send stereo audio to anything else.

I wish there were a modern, compact equivalent.

5 Likes

Methinks the main issue may be that most folks are looking at the wrong tool for the job in the first place.

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread you can find studio mixers that fit the bill in any number of combinations. The issue is that these are serious workhorse type mixers where the price reflects what they are. I’d venture a guess that many of us here are not looking at those due to price. I mean, I look at them and lust but then fail to see a day where it makes sense for me to spend even $5000 on a 8-12 channel studer or neve. Never mind the $150,000-200,000 for the real deal ones.

That leaves most looking at live use mixers or mixers that happen to have a USB or lightning interface at most in terms or it having “flexible enough for studio use” features. The problem is these are primarily designed for live use.

This brings us to accepted wisdom as it pertains to live purpose mixing. True stereo is not really desired or its actively eliminated by sound engineers. True stereo becomes an issue because live venues are not optimal listening environments. In an effort to give every seat a good listening opportunity what you get is actual “mega mono” not stereo.

Of course there are exceptions to this rule but I think you will find that for the most part this is the case.

8 Likes

You’re absolutely right. It would be interesting to see an alternative Tascam Model 24 for bedroom producer types that had more stereo channel strips (6 stereo and 10 mono for example, or even 7 stereo and 8 mono), with two or more stereo aux busses / fx sends, and midi sync.

Basically, they should make this very specific thing just for me and not for these people in “bands”, whatever those are.

7 Likes

Just noticed that the A&H Zed18 has aux1+2 stereo switches on the front panel, on the stereo channels: https://www.thomann.de/nl/allen_heath_zed18.htm
Looks like hardwired as pre-fader though (didn’t look into manual). And still only 1 stereo send.

All larger Zed mixers seem to have that stereo switch.

The K-mix is great. It has 4 stereo outs, so 3 aux sends plus the main output. Plus you can use the headphone jack as yet another stereo send!

The only problem is having enough returns for them all.

For what its worth in the end I opted for a DJ mixer - A&H Xone 96. I only have 4 hardware boxes: ARv2, A4v2, Prologue and Grandmother so they go into the 4x main channels with 2 stereo send returns to BIM and BAM then have a couple of channels for computer audio streams and can use the internal sound card to record etc.

For a fairly compact setup for jamming its great - downside is you don’t have loads of channels to be able to do an external drum mix or treat the different outs of the A4 separately out of the box as it were, but works for me.

Eying the new SSL SiX for recording purposes when I warrant it (read - not for ages) :crazy_face:

3 Likes

I missed this thread when it was first up…

you don’t mention needing EQ. how about a line mixer? the Samson SM10 has ten stereo channels and two stereo sends (using a TRS cable). you’ll use two of those ten channels up for returns, but eight is still a lot of stereo channels for one race space. plus it’s cheap enough you can but more than one if you need to.

1 Like

Was just eyeing the xone 92 & 96 for this last night…

Correct me if I m wrong but i think you could use the booth/cue out as a 3rd send. With that I could just cram in my current setup. Tempting, but no room to expand in the future. Which could help to stop spending money on new stuff :smiley:

Last weekend I saw an artist play on an old Xone 464. Too bad they don’t make 'm that big anymore… https://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/xone464/

1 Like

I too am interested in this topic. Any ideas on how to obtain AT LEAST one stereo send return in full on a mixer, and have at least another one in mono ->stereo or mono->mono? Could have sworn the Mackie VLZ xxxx compact series have them in stereo, guess I was wrong.
Also, who uses MOTU interfaces, say, Ultra Lite MK3/MK4, can their i/o’s configured to be something like stereo send return, 2xmono send returns, then the remaining channels on inputs?

I have the Key Largo. It’s almost perfect for my needs. I just wish the effects loop was an insert rather than a send. It’s a really really nice piece of hardware, and the usb in is great.

1 Like

Guys I have no idea if this is already solved in the meantime, but I have been comparing mixers all day because I’m having te same problem. Finally I discovered that the A&H Zed-14 (which was actually one of the first I checked out but didn’t think it was right for me lol) is actually perfect for my needs. 6 mono channels, 4 stereo channels, 4 aux outputs of which 1/2 can be run as stereo send and 2 stereo RCA return inputs. I probably will end up using them as following:
Synths, samplers, etcetera into patchbay (so i can use more gear without needing a bigger mixer), patchbay into mixer, aux 1/2 for stereo pedals, aux 3 for mono pedals, output from the mixer into my audio interface.

If you put a stereo source on 2 mono channels, pan them L/R and then route the first (L) to aux 3 and then the second ÂŽ to aux 4, you would be able to use aux 3/4 as a stereo send too.

As I’m writing this I see that dtr already told about the Zed-18 which works exactly the same but with more mono inputs, but maybe this can bring some of you on new ideas…

3 Likes