When will we see a new elektron product?

the Digitakt was before the Rytm Sampling capabilities, hmmm I guess there’s then 1 Arm core for the lights, midi, USB functionality which could be hijacked to run some alternate fx or synth lanes, no?

Haha, jag är svensk! I love pineapple on pizza but french fries? an abomination.

2 Likes

Google Calskrove, that’s an abomination :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Edit: spelling

1 Like

No that’s not how that works.

but how does it?

Elektron is using Coldfire microprocessors. These are neither arm nor dsp chips.

A4:

Digitone:

Oldschool - using a single core. This means that the various tasks the cpu has to perform are tightly coupled.

2 Likes

nice, but what about the addition for USB audio etc. can‘t imagine one single core doing all the work.

and the oscillators are digitally controlled, which could be used to add some hybrid engines…no?

When programming dsp based synths you can’t just copy paste the code used from chipset to another. These aren’t like PCs where there’s a generally uniform architecture and tons of memory available. These are limited systems designed to do a few tasks really quickly. They literally have different internals so you’re not going to be able to just port something over from the digitone into the a4 the sound engine of the a4 is made of physical components not a processor. It’s like asking what can a cow give birth to an iPhone.

of course, I understand that but iam looking for the opportunity of „what if“ they‘ve rebuild the mk2 structure for a better compatibility within their product range!?

the USB Audio doesn‘t come from nowhere or has been there since 2013, did Someone actually open the MK2s ?

The Usb audio comes from the usb controller chipset. It was in the product roadmap from the inception it just wasn’t announced until later. Not only that obviously for an analog device to have audio over usb you need AD converters built in they wouldn’t be able to add that kind of thing in firmware that’s physical design.

Several people have taken their mkiis apart. I don’t believe I’ve heard of anything resembling additions to the board besides the stated ones. New physical outs and higher bandwidth usb for overbridge

2 Likes

Of course it doesn’t. Since at least Overbridge and the digital FXs were part of the very first design the additional steps to USB compliant audio wasn’t that large. To oversimplify it a bit: it’s “just” another type of wrapping the digital audio streams.

While the USB chipset does parts of the heavy lifting the processor is also heavily involved.

That’s the reason why the MK1 units haven’t got USB compliant audio. They are using a different USB chipset which needs to be programmed/controlled differently. While it is theoretically possible to use it for USB audio the additional effort to develop and maintain it separately wasn’t worth it for “out of production” devices.

1 Like

Lord have Mercy!

don‘t get me wrong it’s not that I think the A4 isn‘t complex, for me personally it reminds me of the MD workflow where every move you make on the machine Leads to even more interesting results, fast.

drifting from a deep Bassdrum into a melodic Elektronesque chord with the subs set to 5th on one track is just pure joy.

as always a few few additions would bring this to another level, even if it’s just a sine wave output from the oscillators or a hold function for the keyboard and a plockable Arpeggiator :exploding_head:

Your hopes may already be dashed:

1 Like

This behemoth of a meal is an invention of the Tre Kronor restaurant from the Swedish town of Skellefteå. It consists of a calzone pizza that is stuffed with hamburgers (along with bread, toppings, and dressings) and French fries.

The calorie-laden dish was originally invented for people who could not decide whether to get a pizza or a hamburger after a night of heavy drinking.

:laughing: Sounded kinda good but then I saw photos.

2 Likes

poor calzone.

like a doughy turducken

1 Like

a few ideas

HEXADECATRAK = a big dedicated midi & CV sequencer x 16 MIDI tracks with 128 steps per track, more sequencer options, maybe track machines (euclydian, fugue etc) like a mono machine but for Midi and CV out puts. Song mode + USB hubs built in for devices and hosts,

DIGIMIX = compact Audio mixer, Analog heat built in plus swappable FX slots (like Korg NTS types)

DIGITONE KB MAX = Digitone with x16 voices split between x2 machines (like Novation Summit) in a standard KB format (not stretched)

DigiWAVE - Digitone format with Wavetable engine

DigiGRAIN - Digitact format with true Granular engine

1 Like

Elektron need to embrace;

• Touchscreens
  • Micro SD Cards
  • USB C
  • FPGA
  • Open API / SDK
  • Third Party Integrations
  • SSD drives
  • Bluetooth
  • Wifi
  • Cloud based Sample resources
  • MPE
  • More than just x8 of anything
3 Likes

100% agreed on everything except cloud-based sample resources and such when a SD card is enough and touch screen when smart UX+knobs are enough

I disagree with all of these points (except maybe USB-C although I don’t really care about that)

6 Likes